Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive Aesthetics / Electronics > Wheel and Tire Discussion > BMW 135i (m sport package) larger tire width?

Author
Thread
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Fuck this car, Laggin Wagon, 2002 WRX
Posts/Day: 2.33
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

BMW 135i (m sport package) larger tire width? quote:

Probably not many owners around here. Thinking of potentially putting some stickier and wider tires front and rear on my 135i. I would like to step up from 215s in the front and 245s in the rear to 225s and 255s or 265s if they will fit without rubbing. I would be using stock M Sport rims unless I find some aftermarket ones in the right price range and fitment which I haven't been successful with so far.

Performance summer tire suggestions? Tire aspect ratio suggestions? Aftermarket wheel suggestions? Car is on stock suspension.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2012 06:49 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.88
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

265s with +33 (19x9.5) rubbed on my 335i and required minimal fender rolling. I think the 135 has even less space.

You are probably better off on a BMW forum for info.

Old Post 03-02-2012 07:13 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bspot
Second Gear

What I drive: Vulva S40 T5 AWD
Posts/Day: 0.45
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 96%

Re: BMW 135i (m sport package) larger tire width? quote:

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Probably not many owners around here. Thinking of potentially putting some stickier and wider tires front and rear on my 135i. I would like to step up from 215s in the front and 245s in the rear to 225s and 255s or 265s if they will fit without rubbing. I would be using stock M Sport rims unless I find some aftermarket ones in the right price range and fitment which I haven't been successful with so far.

Performance summer tire suggestions? Tire aspect ratio suggestions? Aftermarket wheel suggestions? Car is on stock suspension.

Going that wide on your stock rims isn't actually going to make that much of a contact patch difference, it's just going to make a funny bulge in your sidewalls, and cause even more rubbing issues than if you got properly sized wheels for your tires.

Old Post 03-02-2012 07:40 PM
bspot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bspot Click here to Send bspot a Private Message Find more posts by bspot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

quote:

The stock rims are 18x7.5 and 18x8.5, it seems like 225 and 255 tires are a good upgrade from 215s and 245s. I guess I could wait for my dad to put 225s and 255s on my moms 135i and see how it feels.

Old Post 03-02-2012 07:49 PM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spacerz
First Gear

What I drive: 12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

My personal prefrence for performance summer tires:

- Nitto Nt05 <-- Probably the best tire I have ever used on a street driven car, but they tend to wear quite quick. edit: they suck in anything other than dry pavement!
- Nitto Invo
- Toyo T1R
- Dunlop star spec

Last edited by spacerz on 03-02-2012 at 08:24 PM

Old Post 03-02-2012 08:15 PM
spacerz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spacerz Click here to Send spacerz a Private Message Find more posts by spacerz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A2VR6
Second Gear

What I drive: Two cars that rev over 8000 rpms
Posts/Day: 0.44
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Cant comment on the clearance but for tires im a big fan of the Dunlop Star Specs as they offer great wet traction as well as dry. You could also look at the Hankook RS3 which is comparable to the Dunlops but a little bit cheaper or the Hankook V12 evos if you want something that will wear a little better but wont be as sticky as the RS3's.

Old Post 03-02-2012 08:21 PM
A2VR6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A2VR6 Click here to Send A2VR6 a Private Message Find more posts by A2VR6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BananaFob
Neutral

What I drive: W219 CLS
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 118%

quote:

The stock rims are 18x7.5 and 18x8.5, it seems like 225 and 255 tires are a good upgrade from 215s and 245s. I guess I could wait for my dad to put 225s and 255s on my moms 135i and see how it feels.

That's going to be bulgy as hell.

Old Post 03-02-2012 08:41 PM
BananaFob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BananaFob Click here to Send BananaFob a Private Message Find more posts by BananaFob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

quote:

Should also point out I auto x and will probably do a couple lapping days. I am weary of the Direzzas, my dad had them on his M and they picked up nails like crazy it seemed like.

Old Post 03-02-2012 09:00 PM
Kavy
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (39)

quote:

255's fit on the back. However IMO money is better spent on better tires in 245's

Old Post 03-02-2012 09:02 PM
Kavy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kavy Click here to Send Kavy a Private Message Find more posts by Kavy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BananaFob
Neutral

quote:

Should also point out I auto x and will probably do a couple lapping days. I am weary of the Direzzas, my dad had them on his M and they picked up nails like crazy it seemed like.

You're going to have marginally better contact patch with crappier sidewall stiffness. Probably a bad idea.

Old Post 03-02-2012 09:03 PM
BananaFob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BananaFob Click here to Send BananaFob a Private Message Find more posts by BananaFob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

quote:

Sidewalls can't be stiffer than the shit runflats.

Old Post 03-02-2012 09:17 PM
BananaFob
Neutral

quote:

Sidewalls can't be stiffer than the shit runflats.

No... think other way around as in softer sidewall compliance than stock. That's NOT what you want.

Old Post 03-02-2012 09:58 PM
dimi
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Hankook RS3 without a doubt.

They are much cheaper and arguably better than Star Specs. I mean $520 for a set(4) of 255/40/17... that is very cheap. That said, they are backordered everywhere (tirerack, discount tires, 1010).

You won't fit a 265 on 8.5" rim properly, they'll be bulging big time. I do 255s on my 9" wheels and they fit perfectly no stretch. I wouldn't go 265 on my wheels for sure. So even 255s might bulge a bit. I'd say just stick to OEM unless you get wider wheels, you'll feel a big improvement over RFTs anyway.

Sticky tires tend to pick up nails...

Old Post 03-02-2012 10:19 PM
dimi is online now Click Here to See the Profile for dimi Click here to Send dimi a Private Message Find more posts by dimi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bspot
Second Gear

What I drive: Vulva S40 T5 AWD
Posts/Day: 0.45
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Should also point out I auto x and will probably do a couple lapping days.

To add to this, you are going to get way squishier with this setup, have less steering response, and basically just make it a crappier handling car.

A straight or slightly stretched sidewall resists the tire rolling over the sidewall:

\______/

The setup you'd be using Will have bulging sidewalls which allow the tread to move relative to the rim during lateral force:

(_______) will turn into /______/ or \_______\ during corners.

Bad idea.

Old Post 03-02-2012 11:35 PM
bspot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bspot Click here to Send bspot a Private Message Find more posts by bspot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

quote:

It has shitty steering already haha, should not have got one with Active Steering

Old Post 03-02-2012 11:41 PM
Sugarphreak
Fourth Gear

What I drive: Has armor, 35s, and 3 pedals
Posts/Day: 2.38
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 150%

quote:

If you are dismissing the Direzza's, there is literally only one tire you should be considering. Bridgestone RE-11's... anything else is cheating yourself.

135i has no spare correct? Kind of sucks if you get a flat down the road.

Old Post 03-03-2012 01:57 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
saiyajin
First Gear

What I drive: RX300
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

i got 235s on my 18x10 with a slight stretch going 255 on 18x8.5 will have a bulge for sures

Old Post 03-03-2012 03:46 AM
saiyajin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for saiyajin Click here to Send saiyajin a Private Message Find more posts by saiyajin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.88
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

It has shitty steering already haha, should not have got one with Active Steering

Can't you pull a fuse or something?

Old Post 03-03-2012 04:12 AM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 09:30 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: