Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

Author
Thread
topmade
First Gear

What I drive: POS
Posts/Day: 0.20
Trader Rating: (43)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

^^ Which company where you guys? We got silver, Weatherford got gold because of their one player who basically out classed us but it was a decent and fun game. Could of played better if my elbow didn't hurt like a SOB so won't be playing for a bit until it gets fixed up.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2011 05:40 AM
topmade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for topmade Click here to Send topmade a Private Message Find more posts by topmade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

LLLimit

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

The team came in 4th.

I was penciled in for mixed doubles but backed out.
One of the players for mens doubles offered me his spot but I had plans on the finals day.

Old Post 09-22-2011 08:14 PM
LLLimit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LLLimit Click here to Send LLLimit a Private Message Find more posts by LLLimit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

looks like another dedicated badminton facility is set to open next month. great spot for those of you in the northern parts of the city.

http://www.badmintonalberta.ca/news_item.aspx?id=53839

Old Post 09-26-2011 09:10 PM
SOAB is online now Click Here to See the Profile for SOAB Click here to Send SOAB a Private Message Find more posts by SOAB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
Fourth Gear

What I drive: stalls. Both of them.
Posts/Day: 2.12
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Originally posted by SOAB
looks like another dedicated badminton facility is set to open next month. great spot for those of you in the northern parts of the city.

http://www.badmintonalberta.ca/news_item.aspx?id=53839

Anyone visit this place yet? Looks pretty sweet from their site:

http://www.clearonebadminton.com/in...learone-calgary

Anyone know where to get a racquet restrung?

Fuelly:/:Follow me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!

Old Post 10-20-2011 12:56 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heinz256
Neutral

What I drive: 04 civic
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (29)

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah

Anyone visit this place yet? Looks pretty sweet from their site:

http://www.clearonebadminton.com/in...learone-calgary

Just went there yesterday....had to pay $15 for a membership and then an additional $8 for drop-in.....I probably won't go again since I live in the deep deep south and its just too far for me, so the membership is a waste.

Overall, its a pretty nice facility, except that you can really smell the fumes from the floor wax, and there seemed to be no ventilation for that. Another minor annoyance was that they didn't have any water fountains, so you either had to fill up from the taps in the change rooms, or be forced to buy it from them.

Originally posted by flipstah

Anyone know where to get a racquet restrung?

Any racquet store is good. I recommend Whats your racquet (google it for the address). Don't go to Sportschek.

Old Post 12-28-2011 01:17 AM
heinz256 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heinz256 Click here to Send heinz256 a Private Message Find more posts by heinz256 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: 911 Turbo
Posts/Day: 2.01
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 125%

quote:

Yea finally hit up the Sunridge place last night. I like it a lot. Got some good rec games in there with some trash talking. Good times.

Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Step 1: Become a baller.

Step 2: ______________________________

Step 3: Do not worry about the cost due to the completion of Step 1.

Old Post 01-11-2012 08:10 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
botox

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

Originally posted by heinz256
Another minor annoyance was that they didn't have any water fountains

Sunridge doesn't have fountains either . But I like sunridge more because Clearone seems too dark and the courts can get dusty and slippery.

Old Post 01-11-2012 08:49 PM
botox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for botox Click here to Send botox a Private Message Find more posts by botox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by botox

Sunridge doesn't have fountains either . But I like sunridge more because Clearone seems too dark and the courts can get dusty and slippery.

i got over that minor inconvenience after the first time there.

i would take that over the garbage courts that i used to play on before these places opened up.

i wish they had opened these places 5 years ago. now, i only have time to play once a week. twice if i'm lucky.

Old Post 01-11-2012 09:08 PM
SOAB is online now Click Here to See the Profile for SOAB Click here to Send SOAB a Private Message Find more posts by SOAB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: 911 Turbo
Posts/Day: 2.01
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 125%

quote:

make sense why they don't have fountains, make you guys buy drinks.

oh yeah, congrats you and ray on that halloween tourney win haha

Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Step 1: Become a baller.

Step 2: ______________________________

Step 3: Do not worry about the cost due to the completion of Step 1.

Old Post 01-12-2012 08:14 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
in*10*se
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.10

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
make sense why they don't have fountains, make you guys buy drinks.

oh yeah, congrats you and ray on that halloween tourney win haha

had to carry his ass the entire way... guy sucked like vacuum.
hey steve... learn to serve.

Old Post 01-12-2012 08:26 PM
in*10*se is offline Click Here to See the Profile for in*10*se Click here to Send in*10*se a Private Message Find more posts by in*10*se Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

All England Championship is currently being played right now if anyone is interested. you can watch some of the matches here.

http://www.badmintonlife.com/2012/a...live-streaming/

Old Post 03-09-2012 04:40 AM
topmade
First Gear

What I drive: POS
Posts/Day: 0.20
Trader Rating: (43)

quote:

Anyone play in the Strathmore tourney over the weekend?

Old Post 03-13-2012 02:11 PM
topmade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for topmade Click here to Send topmade a Private Message Find more posts by topmade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xnvy
First Gear

What I drive: Horse
Posts/Day: 1.06
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by topmade
Anyone play in the Strathmore tourney over the weekend?

I didn't but some of my friends did. Apparently Josephine Wu(sp?) killed it over there.

Old Post 03-13-2012 02:45 PM
xnvy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnvy Click here to Send xnvy a Private Message Find more posts by xnvy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

just wanted to post that Sunridge Badminton Centre is hosting a team tournament in the middle of May. teams of 5, with a waterfall format.

check out the website for more details.

http://sunridgebadminton.com/

the badminton community needs to support events and places like this or else they will disappear.

Old Post 04-23-2012 10:01 PM
PD77
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Just started playing after a couple of decades off haha. The guy I usually play with isn't always available though so I was wondering if any of you go to ClearOne?

I am definitely rusty (and I'm old now ) but I might be able to put up a bit of a challenge.

Old Post 05-02-2012 02:35 AM
PD77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PD77 Click here to Send PD77 a Private Message Find more posts by PD77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SOAB
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

another fun tournament coming up being hosted by Sunridge Badminton Centre again.

King of the Court!! it is a 1 day tournament. the entry fee is only $50 and it includes lunch. shuttles will be provided.

you can find details here. http://sunridgebadminton.com/index....aments-a-events

Old Post 05-31-2012 06:54 PM
Disoblige
Second Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '02 EM2, '14 FZ-09
Posts/Day: 0.82
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

Originally posted by PD77
Just started playing after a couple of decades off haha. The guy I usually play with isn't always available though so I was wondering if any of you go to ClearOne?

I am definitely rusty (and I'm old now ) but I might be able to put up a bit of a challenge.

I went to ClearOne last week and the rates are really good!

I intend to play at least every Sunday from 4-7 pm.

Old Post 07-25-2012 05:11 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PD77
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Originally posted by Disoblige

I went to ClearOne last week and the rates are really good!

I intend to play at least every Sunday from 4-7 pm.

That's when I try to go as well, usually 5-7ish...I'll let you know if I plan on going this weekend.

Old Post 07-25-2012 07:16 PM
PD77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PD77 Click here to Send PD77 a Private Message Find more posts by PD77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disoblige
Second Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '02 EM2, '14 FZ-09
Posts/Day: 0.82
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

^^Cool man.

I try to be there every week but this Sunday I'll be doing a practice session with my company's CCC Badminton Team there.

Old Post 07-25-2012 07:20 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
botox

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

8 Badminton Players Disqualified for Throwing Matches

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/racquet-s...ondon-2012.html

LONDON - Eight female badminton doubles players were disqualified from the London 2012 Olympic Games after trying to lose matches to receive a more favourable place in the tournament, Indonesia's team leader said Wednesday.

The Badminton World Federation investigated two teams from South Korea and one each from China and Indonesia. It accused them of "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport" in matches Tuesday night.

Erick Thohir, the head of Indonesia's Olympic team, told The Associated Press that the Indonesian team will appeal. He also accused China of losing on purpose in the past.

"China has been doing this so many times and they never get sanctioned by the BWF," Thohir said. "On the first game yesterday when China did it, the BWF didn't do anything. If the BWF do something on the first game and they say you are disqualified, it is a warning for everyone."

IOC Vice-President Craig Reedie, the former head of the international badminton federation, welcomed the decision.

"Sport is competitive," Reedie told the AP. "If you lose the competitive element, then the whole thing becomes a nonsense.

"You cannot allow a player to abuse the tournament like that, and not take firm action. So good on them."

The eight disqualified players are world doubles champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China and their South Korean opponents Jung Kyun-eun and Kim Ha-na, along with South Korea's Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung and Indonesia's Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii.

The players went before a disciplinary hearing Wednesday, a day after spectators at the arena booed their performance after it became clear they were deliberately trying to lose.

International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge had been at the venue but had left shortly before the drama unfolded. The IOC said it would allow badminton's ruling body to handle the matter.

Paul Deighton, chief executive officer of the London organizers, said there would be no refunds for the evening's badminton program. Chairman Sebastian Coe called what happened "depressing," adding "who wants to sit through something like that?"

Teams blamed the introduction of a round-robin stage rather than a straight knockout tournament as the main cause of the problem. In the round-robin format, losing one game can lead to an easier matchup in the next round.

The Chinese players were accused of leading the way by deliberately losing a game. This led to other teams behaving in a similar way to try to force an easier quarter-final. At one stage, both teams appeared to be trying to lose.

Wang and Yu and their opponents were booed loudly by the crowd after dumping serves into the net and making simple errors, such as hitting the shuttlecock wide.

The longest rally in their first game was only four strokes. The umpire warned them, and tournament referee Torsten Berg spoke to all four players but it had little effect. At one stage, Berg showed a black card, which usually means disqualification, but the game continued.

Eventually, the Chinese women lost 21-14, 21-11 and both pairs were jeered off the court.

The teams had already qualified for knockout round, but the result ensured that the top-seeded Wang and Yu would have avoided playing their No. 2-seeded Chinese teammates until the final.

The problem was repeated in the next women's doubles between South Korea's Ha and Kim Min-jung and their Indonesian opponents. Both teams were also warned for deliberately losing points in a match the South Koreans won 18-21, 21-14, 21-12.

China's Lin Dan, the No. 2-ranked men's singles player, said through an interpreter the sport is going to be damaged.

"Especially for the audience," he said before the disqualifications were announced. "This is definitely not within the Olympic spirit. But like I said before, it's not one-sided. Whoever sets the rule should make it knockout so whoever doesn't try will just leave the Olympics."

Beijing badminton silver medallist Gail Emms said the matches were embarrassing to watch.

"It was absolutely shocking," she said. "The crowds were booing and chanting 'Off, off, off.'"

Old Post 08-01-2012 07:44 PM
botox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for botox Click here to Send botox a Private Message Find more posts by botox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:25 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: