Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > accessing maps via Wifi while traveling

Author
Thread
Civic_Drift

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

iPhone in USA quote:

I'm going to New York in August and I want to use my iPhone there mainly to be able to access maps via Wifi.

If I turn off the 3G, cellular data, and data roaming, what kind of charges will I still receive? Roaming probably?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2011 03:14 AM
Civic_Drift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Civic_Drift Click here to Send Civic_Drift a Private Message Find more posts by Civic_Drift Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

<giani>

What I drive: CD5
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

If your only going to use Wifi then just put the phone in Airplane mode and enable Wifi. I did this for my trip through Europe and wasn't charged anything. It disables all signals coming in/out of the phone. Hope it helps

Old Post 07-03-2011 03:23 AM
<giani> is offline Click Here to See the Profile for <giani> Click here to Send <giani> a Private Message Find more posts by <giani> Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

If you turn off data roaming and not make or receive any call, nothing.

Old Post 07-03-2011 05:12 AM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cos
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 3 Fords, One NA, One S/C, One Turbo'd
Posts/Day: 2.16
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

I just took a paperclip with me and removed the sim card. Phone works great and it also disables all the radios so it saves a ton of battery power.

Originally posted by codetrap
Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but you can't fix stupid.

Originally posted by Ecofx86
I love it when I'm rolling baby coal out my eco!

Old Post 07-03-2011 05:24 AM
Cos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cos Click here to Send Cos a Private Message Find more posts by Cos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (100)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

if you decide to put it into airplane mode, keep in mind that if you power off the phone and then back on, it will turn off the airplane mode. At least this used to be the case, might have been fixed since.

Old Post 07-03-2011 02:21 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
interlude
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

I just made a trip to CA last week. I went to AT&T and bought 1 pay as you go for my iphone. They have a $2/day, unlimited calling and texts (but no data for the iphone for some reason, only android has data), and another pay as you go for my ipad2, I used my cousins US credit card and it was $15 for 250mb (which I only used about 150mb) It was awesome having my ipad, it made it easier finding places to go.

If you go that route, and you want to make calls back home. Head to Vons, or whatever grocery chain there is.. you can buy a $5 calling card, that has ~461 minutes to call Canada.

Old Post 07-13-2011 09:11 PM
interlude is offline Click Here to See the Profile for interlude Click here to Send interlude a Private Message Find more posts by interlude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wintonyk
Neutral

What I drive: Has 5 wheels.
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I did this in iceland with my blackberry. I just turned off data connection. My hotels always had free wi fi, I would just scroll around and save maps and such. Bonus I could use my BBM too.

Old Post 07-13-2011 10:25 PM
wintonyk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wintonyk Click here to Send wintonyk a Private Message Find more posts by wintonyk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trliniar

What I drive: nissan
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

there was a thread on here a couple months ago for a phone company that had unlimited talk, text and data for a daily, weekly, and monthly rate if i recall.

I cant find this thread now.. anyone remember? would help out a lot

Old Post 04-27-2012 10:25 PM
trliniar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trliniar Click here to Send trliniar a Private Message Find more posts by trliniar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
broken_legs
Neutral

What I drive: CRF 250L
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

or you could get an Android phone, download the entire map of everything, and use your GPS with no data connection.

Old Post 04-28-2012 06:43 PM
broken_legs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for broken_legs Click here to Send broken_legs a Private Message Find more posts by broken_legs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dangleberries
Banned

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

if ure going to nyc...download HopStop for iphone. shits free nigga.

Old Post 04-29-2012 04:38 AM
dangleberries is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dangleberries Click here to Send dangleberries a Private Message Find more posts by dangleberries Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
codetrap
Second Gear

What I drive: FJR1300/F150
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (13)

quote:

http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

Turn your Phone into a premium GPS navigator with this one-time purchase. Maps and POIs are stored onboard, so they are always available.

Does NOT use data. Just GPS only.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Old Post 05-01-2012 04:25 PM
codetrap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for codetrap Click here to Send codetrap a Private Message Find more posts by codetrap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Godfuader
First Gear

What I drive: Subway / Rav4
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (13)

quote:

Originally posted by &lt;giani&gt;
If your only going to use Wifi then just put the phone in Airplane mode and enable Wifi.

This. NY is littered with free wifi zones. Tons of starbucks, McD's, parks, plaza's with free wifi. Whenver we have friends and family come in from Canada we get them to download whatsapp/viber, because you can communicate for free via wifi. Last I checked, there are no roaming charges in the US, the only time you get dinged is if the phone is actually used (call/text).

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Old Post 05-01-2012 08:35 PM
Godfuader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Godfuader Click here to Send Godfuader a Private Message Find more posts by Godfuader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:10 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: