Quantcast
HOW TO: Maintain your leather seats so they never crack or age. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: HOW TO: Maintain your leather seats so they never crack or age.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Exclamation HOW TO: Maintain your leather seats so they never crack or age.

(The original thread & pics was deleted when Geocities went belly up, as they were my image hoster so I'll make this thread all over again from scratch)

Anyway, story is, is that back shortly after high school I was detailer, so I learned this technique from an industry "guru" I guess you can call him.

Basically using this technique, you can prevent leather seats from aging/cracking. This way the seats will always shine like new. This can be applied to *anything* leather, even jackets.

Keep in mind; Leather is just cow skin. Unfortunately since there is no cow there to keep the leather moisturized: the responsibility is entirely on you.

Now as a disclaimer: to my knowledge there is no way to repair cracking. So if the seats are already cracked there isn't any way to repair them, short of replacing the section thats cracked/worn.

All this technique will do is prevent the cracks from spreading, and to keep new ones from forming. It will also keep the seats looking new just so long as you do this. For regular use this should be done at least twice a year. Ideally 4 times a year would be good. You dont have to do ALL the seats, but if your like me and are pretty much the only occupant in the car, its best you at least do the drivers seat (& steering wheel if leather wrapped) this many times. I'd do the rest of the seats maybe once or twice a year.

Anyway, a very dirty seat will look like this.

(First off I apologize for the shitty Iphone pics)

(I bought the car used with seats looking like this if you're wondering)
    Note its shiny appearance; thats exactly what you dont want. That means the seat is covered in dirt & grease. A seat should never look like this unless you put interior shine or whatever on it.
    The thing is; nothing should be put on it short of the moisturizing cream/lotion. Chemicals just hurt the leather, so always keep things like Armor all (and the like) the hell away from leather.

Keep in mind that leather has pores, just like human skin. When dirt & filth fills them they cant breath, and thus the leather begins to dry out.
    Also, by just gooping on the leather moisturizer onto a dirty seat; it has really no way of getting into the seats to do its job.

Which brings us to the first step.
    Grab a scrub brush and some mild (non-acidic) cleaner. Obviously, dont use engine degreaser or anything of that sort (Yes I've seen people do that). I personally used Simple green as its quite good for this. If you're worried the stuff you have is bad for leather, try it on a wallet or something that you dont really care about before trying it on your car seats.

Just do a small section at a time, then quickly wipe it off. Almost all cleaners are harmful to leather so its best you get the cleaner off it as soon as you can. Also, this will prevent the dirt & chemicals from seeping back into the pores. So dont do the WHOLE seat then wipe it off. Do perhaps the bottom of the seat, then the sides, then the back (etc etc). Dont worry about using a fair bit of cloths/clean rags. Its better to use a lot (then wash them if you're using re-usable rags/cloths) then to be wiping the seats down with filthy rags, which basically doesn't do much of anything.

After your done, it should look like this.

Note its dull appearance, thats what you're looking for as leather shouldn't shine at all.

After all the seats (& steering wheel or whatever other leather bits you may have in your car) are clean we'll start moisturizing them.

For that, you can use a typical household sponge.
    For moisturizers to use; the ones that are best have something called Lanolin oil in them. This oil is important as its the best moisturizing agent you can put on your seats. Dont bother with these "cleaner and moisturizer" types. You need to PROPERLY clean the seats, then moisturize the leather. These companies that try to combine them offer pretty bad stuff that doesn't work nearly as well as it should.
    I really like "Production Detail supply" products. I find they're very good and always do a great job. Here is one product thats a cleaner & conditioner in one package.http://www.detailingsupplies.net/Lea...spi_109_16.htm

Or if you want they also have this. It would take a LONG time to go through all this though, so if you have friends that would need this for their cars/trucks, I'd split this up with them.
    http://www.detailingsupplies.net/Aut..._p/spi_101.htm

And this
    http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=132

another one
    http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=4

here in Calgary we have these guys as a supplier for the products.
    http://www.weblocal.ca/production-de...algary-ab.html
    They also do deliveries, with a mobile supply van. Call the number regarding that.

So once you have the lotion, apply it fairly thick.

^ Even thicker then that. Plan it out so that after you coat the seats, you can leave it sit for at least a few hours so the lotion can absorb. Dont wipe it down, as it needs time to be absorbed, which takes time. Basically if you leave the seat like this over night it should all be absorbed, and the leather will be fairly dry/non-greasy in the morning.

So like I say, do this at least a couple times a year, or whenever your seat gets that shine as the one in the pic had.
    Doing this properly, the seats should never age, or at least minimally.

EDIT: If anybody is on any other car forums, please copy & paste this link so others can benefit from it. I dont mind answering questions or helping out people from all over the place.

Any questions or whatever, just PM me, or email me at [email protected]
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

sweet! I read your old thread. Glad you're reposting it photos and all! I'm new to the leather seat game so your info on proper care is a huge help

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

great, I will do this to my couches too !! lol

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Thanks for posting this, this is very valuable info!

My Ride
    Lease

Nicely done Graham

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Great job Graham! Leather is one of those fabric that is difficult to upkeep (especially denim transfer!!!! ).

However, once it is properly cleaned and treated, the maintenance is very simple.

I've used Leather Milk by Swissvax and it works wonderfully regardless of new or old leather seats. My go-to product whenever I have to detail a neglected leather interior, or simply a maintenance for newer vehicle.

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/swi...00-p-1136.html

My Ride
    Blue boy

Thanks Graham! What kind of cleaner did you use? I think in your old post you mentioned something about using dishwash soap without a specific chemical in it?

My Ride

^ Dont know about that, as I made that post SO long ago, I dont remember all the specific details. I'd assume you CAN use dishsoap, but I think there are a lot better cleaners out there.

Some people have used 50% water & 50% vinegar for good results.

In this tutorial I used some simple green. Im too cheap to go out and buy actual leather cleaner, and this stuff works good too.

Another really good leather moisterizer is
    "Connolly's Hide Food"
    http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?c...od_for_leather
    ^ Buy their cleaner as well, its incredible stuff. On heavily worn seats, properly cleaning it then using this treatment every week for 6-8 weeks will work absolute wonders on any seat.

and
    "Saddle Soap" Google that as to where to buy it.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-21-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

thanks for the tutorial. Anybody ever use this Autoglym stuff? I was told it was supposed to be great but wasnt that impressed when I used it?

My Ride

Personally I find that AutoGlym & SwissVax stuff to be absurdly overpriced. Some of it is good, but $150++ for a small bottle of (whatever) is horseshit.
    If you know enough about the products; and whats good then you can find stuff that does absolutely amazing work; for a very very reasonable cost. I have a hard time paying anything above $15/bottle for ANY wax/cleaner/moisturizer (etc). I just dont see the point given the stuff I used to buy & work with back in the day when I did this for a living. All the chemicals I used were very reasonably priced and I did just awesome work in no time at all.
    Im sure with the quality of SwissVax some people can justify paying what they do for the products; but if I can get by paying $10-15/bottle for stuff that'll do 95% (or more) of the same job then Im fine sticking with much cheaper "Production detail supply" or whoever else.
    For comparative purposes a buddy used SwissVax on his car (it was a 1 coat wax job with generic Carnuba wax as did I)

I used a fairly generic Production D.S. wax and in the same time they both looked phenomenal. There was absolutely no difference in the level of shine. Both coats/wax jobs lasted about as long before needing a good re-wax. I think (IIRC) he paid $220 for his 1L bottle, I paid $42 for mine, but got 4 liters rather then 1. 4 liters of his stuff would be piddly $1,000
    This is what I used
    http://www.productioncarcare.com/pro...products/Waxes
    ^ That "Gal Carnuba" green goop half way down the page.

http://www.productioncarcare.com/pro...marilla-hazmat
    ^ That stuff is fucking amazing. I need to buy some more.

You can almost shave in the reflection of your paint after a coat with that stuff.

EDIT ANYWAY: Like I say; you can pay a lot for the so called "PRIMO" stuff, or you can do what I do and get stuff just as good for a small fraction of the price by knowing good vendors & products.

That Saddle Soap & Connolly's are two other very good products that do incredible work on leather thats almost too far gone to ever be re-conditioned. The cool part is; they dont break the bank.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 01-21-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Nice write-up Graham

We carry the largest selection of Chemical Guys in Canada, it is an amazing product line that is reasonably priced.

As other have also mentioned in this post, there are many other products available some work better than others and some are suited for different situations. We stock a huge selection of leather products from Lexol, Leatherique, Leather Masters, Autoglym, Swissvax, Chemical Guys, Race Glaze, Griot's Garage, Connolly, einszett, Sonax, Sonus, Prima, Zymol. .http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/adv...ywords=leather

No matter what your budget or type of leather or condition we have a product that will work for you. We ship daily across Canada and are located in Edmonton and are a sponsor at Beyond.

Contact us if you need any assistance.
    Last edited by AutoObsessed; 01-26-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    Auto Obsessed™
    Auto Obsessed™ www.autoobsessed.com
    Facebook www.facebook.com/autoobsessed
    Twitter www.twitter.com/autoobsessed
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Huge selection of items, stocking over 1900 different products!
    Shipping within North America, Free shipping over $150 in Canada
    Edmonton and area shipping within two business days, $9 Edmonton/St. Albert/Sherwood Park and $11 Spruce Grove/Stony Plain/Beaumont/Leduc/Nisku/Ft. Sask. Calgary two business day shipping, $13

Originally posted by HiSpec
    I've used Leather Milk by Swissvax and it works wonderfully regardless of new or old leather seats. My go-to product whenever I have to detail a neglected leather interior, or simply a maintenance for newer vehicle.

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/swi...00-p-1136.html [/B]
    Swissvax Leather Milk is no doubt one of the best out there, as some have mentioned not priced for everyone's budget but definately a go to product for me. And yes I have tried many leather products in my 30+ years of showing cars.
    Auto Obsessed™
    Auto Obsessed™ www.autoobsessed.com
    Facebook www.facebook.com/autoobsessed
    Twitter www.twitter.com/autoobsessed
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Huge selection of items, stocking over 1900 different products!
    Shipping within North America, Free shipping over $150 in Canada
    Edmonton and area shipping within two business days, $9 Edmonton/St. Albert/Sherwood Park and $11 Spruce Grove/Stony Plain/Beaumont/Leduc/Nisku/Ft. Sask. Calgary two business day shipping, $13

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Personally I find that AutoGlym & SwissVax stuff to be absurdly overpriced. Some of it is good, but $150++ for a small bottle of (whatever) is horseshit.
    If you know enough about the products; and whats good then you can find stuff that does absolutely amazing work; for a very very reasonable cost. I have a hard time paying anything above $15/bottle for ANY wax/cleaner/moisturizer (etc). I just dont see the point given the stuff I used to buy & work with back in the day when I did this for a living. All the chemicals I used were very reasonably priced and I did just awesome work in no time at all.
    Im sure with the quality of SwissVax some people can justify paying what they do for the products; but if I can get by paying $10-15/bottle for stuff that'll do 95% (or more) of the same job then Im fine sticking with much cheaper "Production detail supply" or whoever else.
    For comparative purposes a buddy used SwissVax on his car (it was a 1 coat wax job with generic Carnuba wax as did I)

I used a fairly generic Production D.S. wax and in the same time they both looked phenomenal. There was absolutely no difference in the level of shine. Both coats/wax jobs lasted about as long before needing a good re-wax. I think (IIRC) he paid $220 for his 1L bottle, I paid $42 for mine, but got 4 liters rather then 1. 4 liters of his stuff would be piddly $1,000
    This is what I used
    http://www.productioncarcare.com/pro...products/Waxes
    ^ That "Gal Carnuba" green goop half way down the page.

http://www.productioncarcare.com/pro...marilla-hazmat
    ^ That stuff is fucking amazing. I need to buy some more.

You can almost shave in the reflection of your paint after a coat with that stuff.

EDIT ANYWAY: Like I say; you can pay a lot for the so called "PRIMO" stuff, or you can do what I do and get stuff just as good for a small fraction of the price by knowing good vendors & products.

That Saddle Soap & Connolly's are two other very good products that do incredible work on leather thats almost too far gone to ever be re-conditioned. The cool part is; they dont break the bank.
    I have to agree with you 100% on Swissvax being over priced. I only have their Leather Milk because it works so damn well!! But I've used their Crystal Rock once (customer supplied wax) and that was a cool experience.

That "la cera amarilla hazmat" wax looks very very similar to Collinite 845, which by the way is my winter wax. Very very durable.

If you want a system that is cheap and works well.

Go to IKEA and get their leather cleaner + conditioner called ABSORB. It was about $25 the last time I bought some.