Quantcast
Shaw Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) Trial - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) Trial

Default Shaw Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) Trial

"The technology is 10 times faster than Shaw's High-Speed Nitro Internet service, which currently runs at 100 Mbps per second.
    Shaw High-Speed Nitro is Canada's fastest Internet service - and offered exclusively by Shaw in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver."

Shaw (FTTH) Trial

Ed Journal

Hopefully they make it realistic price!

Wrap and Nitro prices and caps are crazy!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

So gigabit ethernet ports and cables are mandatory then>
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Exploded.

Fuck yeah! FINALLY!

As a marketing tool, they'll probably jack up the price when introduced then as time goes by, rates will go down as more competitors enter.

They did it with plasma's, new A/V gear, computers...

Unless they introduce it at a cheap price and capture the entire market when they can but that can be tricky.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

haha the upload will probably be 5 up 1000 down

I would be thrilled if SHAW would simply get a reliable service model into my area of Calgary, must be three months now of iffy service and excuses from their end.

Price? Must be north of $150 a month. I smell a nice bonus for the Shaw clan, never mind the customer.

My Ride
    Sentra

About time, I hate Telus, hate! But I'm seriously considering switching to their IPTV for the Mediaroom. Hopefully this FTTH comes with better TV as well as Internet.

Wonder if I could sign up for a trial somehow.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by HondaKid
    I would be thrilled if SHAW would simply get a reliable service model into my area of Calgary, must be three months now of iffy service and excuses from their end.

Price? Must be north of $150 a month. I smell a nice bonus for the Shaw clan, never mind the customer.

i say 300 a month

Does Shaw have fibre to all of the cable boxes already? I was under the impression they didn't. Maybe they will lease the fibre from Telus.

Even if they do, how will they get the fibre into my home? When I had a broken underground coax line back a few years I waited 1.5 years for them to come out and rerun it underground.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by monkgs
    Does Shaw have fibre to all of the cable boxes already? I was under the impression they didn't. Maybe they will lease the fibre from Telus.

Even if they do, how will they get the fibre into my home? When I had a broken underground coax line back a few years I waited 1.5 years for them to come out and rerun it underground.

Originally posted by thetransporter
    Haha, very funny. I know it's possible, but it can't be feasible to do that for every customer.

My Ride
    R50

Yup, totally gonna get raped by the price and still not get the full bandwidth that you paid for.

SOURCE: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...-internet.html

Cable provider Shaw Communications says it is testing ultra-fast broadband, with potential download speeds up to one gigabit per second.

That speed is 10 times faster than the highest-end connections now available and more than 100 times faster than what many Canadians have.

"This is game-changing technology," Shaw president Peter Bissonnette said in a statement. "We are on the leading edge of change with this trial — bringing blazing speeds and new network capabilities that will give us a springboard for future possibilities."

The Calgary-based company said it expects to launch fibre-deployment tests in April.

Shaw currently offers download speeds up to 100 megabits per second in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. The service isn't cheap, though, costing $150 a month. In Japan, 160-megabit connections sell for around $60 a month while 120-megabit speeds can be had in parts of Europe for about $100.

Shaw's pricing is in line with that found in the United States. Both Canada and the United States have been criticized recently for a lack of competition in broadband, which has resulted in slower speeds and higher prices than those found in other parts of the world.

A recent international broadband study by Harvard University found that Canada ranked 22nd out of 30 countries after availability, speeds and pricing were accounted for. The United States fared better, placing 13th.
    Open-access rules in Europe, Asia

The study found European and Asian countries have better broadband because governments have enacted open-access rules, which see internet providers share infrastructure. Canada and the United States have instead focused on promoting a so-called inter-modal system, where cable firms compete against phone companies. This has created a comfortable duopoly in both countries, the report said.

The U.S. government is in the midst of putting together a national broadband plan. Federal Communications Commission chairman Julius Genachowski last week proposed the "100 Squared" initiative, which would see 100 million homes connected with 100-megabit connections by 2020. The plan, which is being taken to Congress, could see government getting involved in building some of the infrastructure.

Internet search giant Google also announced last week that it is building experimental networks that would bring one-gigabit speeds to several U.S. cities and towns. The company, which is frustrated by the lack of competition between U.S. broadband providers, said its plan is intended to show what can be done with ultra-fast speeds.

Foreign ownership restrictions prevent Google from attempting a similar plan in Canada

I have Shaw's regular highspeed and can usually get 500-600KB/s DL speed total, split between ~5 torrents running or so. Would that improve if I had one of Shaw's more premium internet services like Extreme? Or would I be unlikely to notice the difference?

For only $10 more per month I was thinking of changing to Extreme if I could tell the difference.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-21-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Depends on the torrents because it seems you are not maxing out regular high speeds connections. I get constant 1.8MB+ from usenet on extreme, if you used private trackers you could probably max out too.

How we do we sign up for the trial?

I deleted the Nitro from my account and I see no difference in my download/upload performance.... I am also able to attain 600 kb/s downloading 4-5 torrents. I see 1.1mb on certain single torrent downloads with just the regular Shaw high speed... I say save your $10.... Not to mention I am still downloading probably over 100 GB per month and they havent said anything to me...

Originally posted by BMDUBS
    I deleted the Nitro from my account and I see no difference in my download/upload performance.... I am also able to attain 600 kb/s downloading 4-5 torrents. I see 1.1mb on certain single torrent downloads with just the regular Shaw high speed... I say save your $10.... Not to mention I am still downloading probably over 100 GB per month and they havent said anything to me...
    Haha yeah that's the other thing.....they say 10GB a month and I do 10X that easily on regular high speed. I might see if they will give me a trial of Extreme or something.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

you guys, i dont know how shaw will deliver speeds, i am aware that this not a coax service.

right now, my friend has nitro@150 per month, (docsis3) he doesn't get anywhere near the 5 upload nor the 100 down (yes even from gigabit server doing speed tests the max he will get is 20-30 down with no loads on both machines. and about 2.-4 up)

@ at work ,we have the 300 dollar/month server package, with no load on the server/network the max we can up load is about 4.2 and thats VERY VERY rare.

My Ride
    AWOL

Coax is the current limitation, especially for upstream. Shaw has a SONET ring to their hubsites and large bundles of fiber to their nodes. If they GPoN off their nodes to replace the coax, it will be hella quick. Their backbone will need upgrading but the fiber is in place, just needs lighting up. If you've ever experienced Bigpipe, you know they're capable of delivering...

My Ride
    Audi

Telus ran fibre into my house when it was built - when I asked them what it was for, they simply said 'future capability'... here's for hoping that this will be a reasonably priced service!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by hampstor
    Telus ran fibre into my house when it was built - when I asked them what it was for, they simply said 'future capability'... here's for hoping that this will be a reasonably priced service!
    What does the cable look like?

I have this big fat cable coming into my house, but it isn't connected. I suspect it is the TELUS line.

Maybe I will strip it and see if it is fibre...

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by benyl

What does the cable look like?

I have this big fat cable coming into my house, but it isn't connected. I suspect it is the TELUS line.

Maybe I will strip it and see if it is fibre...
    It was a fat cable that was cut on the end - you could see the fibre strands.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast