Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Hours reduced to 0. Need advice/info

Author
Thread
Hakkola
Third Gear

What I drive: E320/328i
Posts/Day: 0.87
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

Hours reduced to 0. Need advice/info quote:

Posting this for someone else, couldn't find pertinent info on the Alberta labour site.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you would have some insight in a situation I'm going through at work.
I'll try to make this very brief: in September I made the decision to go back to school. I told my managers that, and for the most part they scheduled me around my school hours. Everything seemed ok.
When I went onto my practicum, they reduced my hours to part time. I said "oh well, I can handle that for a while". For the last 2 weeks of practicum, they gave me no hours at all, and said they just can't "work out the schedule", whatever that actually means. Even though I've since finished my practicum, which was their reason for reducing my hours, I still haven't been in the schedule at all for some 3 weeks now.
They said clearly that I'm still with the company, however. They also say they have no idea when I'll get hours again, and if I'm reading the situation correctly, I'm essentially out of a job -- I just never was actually fired or laid off. Which doesn't seem legal.
What are my options in this situation? I have/had been working for them full time for 3 years. At this point, I haven't had shifts in close to a month. What do I do...? I plan on calling the labor board/Employment Standards, but since it's the weekend and I can't do that right now, I was hoping to get some insight from you guys.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-02-2013 11:22 PM
Hakkola is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hakkola Click here to Send Hakkola a Private Message Find more posts by Hakkola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Sugarphreak
Fourth Gear

What I drive: [O]IIIIIII[O]
Posts/Day: 2.14
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 150%

quote:

Exhaust your avenues before you file a complaint. No need to burn bridges if you don't have to.

Go see your boss, have an honest and frank conversation about your situation and explain to them if they don't want to give you hours they need to lay you off (so you can be eligible for EI and severance pay if any).

Old Post 02-02-2013 11:27 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
m10-power
First Gear

What I drive: is wild
Posts/Day: 0.27
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Go and find another job? Seems too obvious I know...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:00 AM
m10-power is offline Click Here to See the Profile for m10-power Click here to Send m10-power a Private Message Find more posts by m10-power Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weapon_R

What I drive: 335i
Posts/Day: 2.01
Trader Rating: (101)

quote:

Yeah, you've been pretty much dismissed. Start looking for a new job, ask for your severance and apply for EI in the interim. That's about all you can do right now. They don't really need a reason to let you go.

Originally posted by r3cc0s
Felon or Mistermeiner

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:05 AM
Weapon_R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Weapon_R Click here to Send Weapon_R a Private Message Find more posts by Weapon_R Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sophal
Neutral

What I drive: 08 International 7500HT
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Back in high school I worked for RCSS and went thru the same situation you're in. They gave me zero hours it was a tactic to force you to quit since they were unionized. Better off finding a née job.

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:12 AM
Sophal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sophal Click here to Send Sophal a Private Message Find more posts by Sophal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Numi
First Gear

What I drive: can go anywhere
Posts/Day: 0.20
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

Better known as constructive dismissal and is against labor code.

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:23 AM
Numi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Numi Click here to Send Numi a Private Message Find more posts by Numi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Second Gear

What I drive: Built ZJ, GMT900
Posts/Day: 1.20
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

Its pretty unreasonable of the employee to demand specific hours, then ask for more changes and then be shocked when the business fills the gaps created.

Just go look for a new job, you don't want the labor board to fight and then get you back in.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
First dibs sniffing bras panties when dirty girls bring their cars in.

Last edited by FraserB on 02-03-2013 at 02:34 AM

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:29 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sheik_yerbouti

What I drive: My Bike
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

Originally posted by Numi

Spend a bit of money on a short phone call with lawyer. At least that way you'll be sure you've made the best decision.

Old Post 02-03-2013 09:10 AM
sheik_yerbouti is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sheik_yerbouti Click here to Send sheik_yerbouti a Private Message Find more posts by sheik_yerbouti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: '02 Bandit 1200, '10 Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.60

quote:

OP, what do you hope to accomplish? Obviously they don't want you around any more. Even if you get somewhere with the labour board or whatever government agency this falls under, do you really want to "force" these guys to give you a few hours a week? How pleasant do you think the work environment is going to be? Just find another job & move on.

I'm assuming this job was not in your field of studies? Perhaps the employer knows that you're not sticking around for good so they have moved on with other staff.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 02-03-2013 02:55 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maxx Mazda
First Gear

What I drive: '02 Mazda Protege 5 Turbo
Posts/Day: 0.13
User Rating: 94%

quote:

I'd pull the chute on that company and find something else. See if you can have them let you go so at least youll get a severence?

Old Post 02-03-2013 03:28 PM
Maxx Mazda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maxx Mazda Click here to Send Maxx Mazda a Private Message Find more posts by Maxx Mazda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grogador
First Gear

What I drive: AWOL
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (26)

quote:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Yeah, you've been pretty much dismissed. Start looking for a new job, ask for your severance and apply for EI in the interim. That's about all you can do right now. They don't really need a reason to let you go.

Look for work elsewhere, but don't quit because then you won't qualify for severance and EI. If the company refuses to "terminate without cause", take it up with Alberta Employment Standards.

Old Post 02-03-2013 03:42 PM
Grogador is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grogador Click here to Send Grogador a Private Message Find more posts by Grogador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.47
Trader Rating: (40)

quote:

Can you qualify for EI if you're only working a part-time job? Additionally, don't you have to provide proof that you're actively seeking other employment?

Old Post 02-03-2013 04:15 PM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Alberta is rough, Quebec you'd have tons of recourse.

Per individual, there are 7,332 pages of instructions, 16 IRS publications, and 667 pages of tax forms that are applicable to overseas U.S. citizens.

Old Post 02-03-2013 04:27 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doozer
First Gear

What I drive: 06 Altima 3.5SE
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Best thing to start with is what someone else already mentioned - have a frank talk with your boss before you do anything.

It's definitely difficult to schedule someone around other commitments, and it can tend to breed resentment among other employees who don't get the same treatment.

Just let them know you appreciate what they've done, but you need to work. Ask them what they need from you in order to get back on the schedule - is more free time, covering the crappy shifts for awhile, or what.

Then you know where you stand, and whether it's worth even trying to get back. As was also stated, the door might already be closed, but at least get the cards on the table first.

Old Post 02-03-2013 04:38 PM
Doozer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doozer Click here to Send Doozer a Private Message Find more posts by Doozer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grogador
First Gear

What I drive: AWOL
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (26)

quote:

Originally posted by msommers
Can you qualify for EI if you're only working a part-time job? Additionally, don't you have to provide proof that you're actively seeking other employment?

Yes, as long as you meet the required amount of hours.

Yes, you're supposed to show evidence of three job search efforts per day. It usually takes a few months to get your reporting summons though.

Honestly you have nothing to lose by applying for EI. You've been paying into it your entire working life. I'm sure they can spare some of that $55 billion surplus.

There may be some gotchas related to OP's student status.

Old Post 02-03-2013 10:02 PM
Grogador is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grogador Click here to Send Grogador a Private Message Find more posts by Grogador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kvg
Second Gear

What I drive: A Nissan and a Dodge
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

This is what I was thinking

Originally posted by ZenOps
Alberta is rough, Quebec you'd have tons of recourse.

and this is true

Old Post 02-03-2013 10:48 PM
kvg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kvg Click here to Send kvg a Private Message Find more posts by kvg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
codetrap
Second Gear

What I drive: FJR1300/F150
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Talk to you employer, give them an opening to tell you what is wrong, and if you can resolve the situation or not. If you can't, then you're effectively fired, without being actually fired.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're within their rights on this one, as I know that the Running Room does this as their corporate policy and has for years... They never fire anyone, always just reduce the hours to zero and wait for the employee to quit. I've never heard of them getting called on it yet.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Old Post 02-05-2013 02:06 PM
codetrap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for codetrap Click here to Send codetrap a Private Message Find more posts by codetrap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Second Gear

What I drive: Built ZJ, GMT900
Posts/Day: 1.20
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

Originally posted by codetrap
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're within their rights on this one, as I know that the Running Room does this as their corporate policy and has for years... They never fire anyone, always just reduce the hours to zero and wait for the employee to quit. I've never heard of them getting called on it yet.

And they won't, a claim of constructive dismissal would be pretty easy to fight in this case.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
First dibs sniffing bras panties when dirty girls bring their cars in.

Old Post 02-05-2013 02:35 PM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:43 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: