Quantcast
Educate Me on Tonneau Covers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate Me on Tonneau Covers

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default Educate Me on Tonneau Covers

Please pardon the newb questions. Looking for a Tonneau cover for the new truck and as I want security I think I'm down to either a hard tri-folding one or a rollup. What are the pro’s & con’s to each? What do people think of the Tonno Pro brand hard Tonneau covers? The pricing is substantially cheaper than the rest <$600 shipped (https://www.partsengine.ca/c-168-hard-tri-fold.aspx). Can't tell if it can be locked in the upright position from the description & pictures. It’s not a work truck so it will be used infrequently.

Also InRich I was thinking of this being the start of a group buy?

I have a Tonno Pro soft tri-fold that I ordered from Costco. They go on sale occasionally.

It is certainly the cheapest cover I found and I love mine. That said the more expensive ones do look better and usually have heavier duty locking mechanisms. I haven't had an issue with mine although its not something I open and close on a regular basis.

My Ride
    Silverado

I have the undercover flex. Haven't traveled with it in the up position yet but I would recommend it based on my 3 weeks of experience.

I have a Bakflip F1 on my Ram. It has all the features i need plus its durable as heck. I can stand on it and i am 200lbs.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I guess my question would be is something like the Undercover Flex or Bakflip $300-500 better than the Tonno Pro's

My Ride
    Silverado

One thing I like about the undercover is that it sits flush with the bed. I'm not a big fan of the look when they stick up inches over the side. Personal preference though.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Boosted Im going down Auto truck depot to get some retractable running boards and a cover for the bed, wanna meet up and go together? I got a referral there from Jarad and it will be a hook up, he'll educate us both when we get there. PM me your phone number i'll txt you.

I've got the extang hard tri-fold cover with the sealing kit. It's a great cover, durable and can be completely removed in less than 1 minute. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't fit flush with the box.

Whatever you do, buy one with the 3rd flip (up against the back window). If you ever need to load a bike/quad/couch/ anything tall and long you'll need it. My old truck had only two folds and it was annoying as I had to remove it anytime I wanted to move something big. The new truck has 3rd flip and I haven't removed it since I bought the cover 1.5 years ago.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    One thing I like about the undercover is that it sits flush with the bed. I'm not a big fan of the look when they stick up inches over the side. Personal preference though.
    Never thought of that but now that you mention it it's a great point, it would look much better flush.

Originally posted by InRich
    Boosted Im going down Auto truck depot to get some retractable running boards and a cover for the bed, wanna meet up and go together? I got a referral there from Jarad and it will be a hook up, he'll educate us both when we get there. PM me your phone number i'll txt you.
    PM sent, lets get some #'s and see if we can get a group buy going.

Originally posted by s_havinga
    Whatever you do, buy one with the 3rd flip (up against the back window). If you ever need to load a bike/quad/couch/ anything tall and long you'll need it. My old truck had only two folds and it was annoying as I had to remove it anytime I wanted to move something big. The new truck has 3rd flip and I haven't removed it since I bought the cover 1.5 years ago.
    Another good point.

FWIW when I went through this the best prices by far were at Raven.

I went one piece. I like the security they provide better.

Like mentioned above it is all personal preference.

Originally posted by OU812
    FWIW when I went through this the best prices by far were at Raven.

I went one piece. I like the security they provide better.

Like mentioned above it is all personal preference.
    Speaking of security, it depends on if you have an OEM tailgate lock or not.

In fact, the flip type i would argue are more secure as they have to be opened from the inside so the tail gate needs to be open for access. If you have a locking tailgate (bonus for electric) it is a lot harder to forget to lock it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

if you can, get a hard one.

I have seen too many friends come out of their house to find that someone put a knife through a soft one to see what is in the box.

and yes, mine folds into thirds, but rests on the last third. If I had to do it all over again, i would get one that would rest vertically against the back of the cab.

additionally, I don't think I could ever buy another truck and not put one on it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Just an FYI these are not that secure. It's just a deterrent. If someone really wants to get into the back and knows how the tri-fold ones work it can be done with a coathanger in a few seconds.

I recommend the tri fold such as bakflip as well. As long as it goes up against the back window as mentioned.

My Ride
    Ford F150

BakFlip all the way. Ford makes a knock off version that's just as good for a couple hundred less.

They are hard, durable, fold against the cab, sit flush. I've seen dozens of types in person, nothing beats them.

The "cheap" trifolds are usually an all in one system where the folder cover rests on the box and clamps itself to the rails, then unfolds. The good trifolds have separate rails that are clamped to the box prior and then the cover is bolted to those rails.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I had a simple bed roll cover on my truck for years and I lived in crackhead-Vancouver. It was just velcro and the crackheads would lift it a bit to see inside, never issues with knife cutting etc.

Keeping $$$ of tools in the truck while parked on a street overnight is asking for theft anyway, IMO.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I would not recommend a roll or velcro or snap one. On my current truck and the one before I've had the inexpensive 3 fold. Very easy to use. They stick up a bit but it's not the end of the world. They're not ultra secure, someone could cut into it if they really wanted. Well worth the money though as they always go on sale.

I've never had the third flip up against the window. Usually you're planning ahead of time to haul something. Though I did have to run out to pick up a massive crate and needed to remove it. What size is your box? My current truck has a 5.5 box and the cover does not fit nicely in the box when removed. My old truck had a 6 and it worked awesome to remove and slide on the side.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Originally posted by spike98

Speaking of security, it depends on if you have an OEM tailgate lock or not.

In fact, the flip type i would argue are more secure as they have to be opened from the inside so the tail gate needs to be open for access. If you have a locking tailgate (bonus for electric) it is a lot harder to forget to lock it.
    Thats where the one pc is actullay better. They usuaally extend over top of the tailgate as well meaning there is no way to remove the tailgate.

I have seen a few trifolds where they have wedged a prybar between the cover and used the tailgate to pry off.

The only thing thats sucks is the fact you have to pull it off at times depending on load etc.

Another pro is that they are weather tight never have a wet box. I know some trifolds actually come with drain tubes etc to assist with "limiting" the liquad that creeps in.

Again all personal preference.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    This is what I prefer as well. Looks flush, clean, and is still very much useful.

I have the Undercover Flex and absolutely love it. No issues with it whatsoever so far, works like a charm, and reasonably protects the goods inside the box (no tonneau cover will protect it 100% unless you get the huge fibreglass ones).

I got my tonneau cover bought/installed from the Auto Truck Depot located on 42 Ave near Macleod Tr. http://autotruckdepot.ca/

They have 'miniature models' in their showroom if you want to check out the differences between the products. To me the undercover is actually better than the Bakflip, and for less. But thats just my opinion

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I have bought my last 3 from partsengine.ca and have zero complaints

Normally arrive in about 2-3 days and "have been" about $200 less then the same covers local.

I have to mirror whats been said. Go with a multifold hard top, I personally got the Backflip G2 on all 3 because of the window fold flat for loading drywall, quads and large items as well as the fact that I could stand on the cover with zero issues.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast