Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by ercchry
    Kind of a departure from this concept... but damn! Not bad Kia, not bad

http://jalopnik.com/the-kia-stinger-...eel-1790949403
    That thing is sharpppp.....

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Big meh from me.
    I guess it's cool for a kia... but a big disappointment from the concept.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by MGCM

I always thought if you had a good solid design you make the car and then use 2nd gen to fix defects/problems that were overlooked. Then your 3rd gen can have some of the "updates" that were missed in 1st gen. Now they screw us time and time again on great concepts because its "not perfect" and the concept dies. I thought making cars was a compromise no matter what, so whats the problem? Brakes too expensive, make it a brembo option and charge out the ass for it, engine too expensive, same thing, downgrade and charge out the ass for better motor, design too wild, who cares do it anyway ppl will buy it if the foundation is solid. Car companies are a bunch of babies who missed their 2pm nap and didnt get their 5pm bottle........and we let them build cars
    A couple key points to consider;
    First, the vast majority of cars (even fun ones) aren't purchased by enthusiasts. They're purchased by simps who get their car info from consumer reports, and don't understand things like 'platform' or 'foundation', and are easily turned off by the kind of unfinished or glitchy things found on rushed first-gen cars. This demographic isn't going to modify anything, live with anything, or work around anything, they expect the car to be a finished appliance, not an awesome platform. The majority of consumers won't give you a second chance if the first generation is a rushed hack job with poor reviews and problems.

Secondly, consumer expectation has never been higher. The cool cars we loved in the past were completely terrible in many ways, but we lived with them because they were awesome, and that would never fly today. The modern consumer expects a higher quality, more problem-free owning experience than ever before, and has more platforms than ever before to voice their displeasure should the product not perform 100% to their expectations. There was a time when warranties were 12 months, some breakdowns were expected, and cars were routinely worn out in the 5-10 year range. Modern consumers of even the cheapest cars expect an appliance that will run perfectly for 5 years with basic maintenance and a powertrain that will make it to at least 10y/200k without needing major repairs.

Last but not least, between today's litigious climate and stricter regulation than ever before, manufacturers can't afford to put out a 'draft' version of a car like they could in the 'good old days'. If your initial version of the car has some flaw, you'll be forced to recall it and spend gazillions of dollars buying off consumers and/or paying fines to the government. In the 50s-60s-early 70s, you could have a 12-18 month design cycle, put any old piece of shit on the market and see what happened. If it was terrible, you either made changes or scrapped the program and moved on. Now, you have automakers being held liable for faulty products for as long as 8 years (I think the VW recall goes back to '09 models). Nowadays you have to extend the design cycle, test everything 10 different ways, then get it to meet all the regulatory tests. That's one of the reasons that back in the day you'd get a new car every 1-3 years, while now you're lucky if you get a minor refresh at 3-4 years, and a major at 6-8 years, with the same platform lasting 2-3 gens just because R&D costs and the cost of meeting regs is so damned high.

TL;DR: Manufacturers simply cannot afford to gamble with releasing half-baked products in the hopes that enthusiasts will flock to them, it isn't the 60s anymore.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 01-09-2017 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride

On topic, I like the style of this, and Kia's other 'upscale' cars like the K900. The problem I have, at least in the K900s case, is when you sit inside you're immediately reminded you're sitting in a Kia as the buttons, fonts, switches etc. look like they're straight out of one of the $20k econoboxes. They look good in pictures, but when you get your hands on it, it's just not nice.

Looks awesome but there seems to be a few drastically different concepts floating around. The Koreans have far surpassed the Americans, and are just as good as some of the Japanese/German stuff when it comes to fit & finish. Just need to fix the driving dynamics which they are always improving. That big "KIA" badge is pretty difficult to get over, but once you're past that I bet it will be a great little car. So many people I talk to still think Hyundai/Kia is the exact same junk from 15 years ago and I don't think anything will ever change that for them.

Originally posted by rage2
    365hp, available AWD, mimicking a S5 at probably 2/3 of the price. Damn Koreans are getting good at this. Will be interesting to see how it handles, I believe Kia nabbed a key BMW M guy to make sure Kias can handle.
    They hired Albert Biermann, who I think was running the M division.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Still that much power, awd and still over 5s 0-100km/h?

My Ride
    Grimace

I don't normally like any kias, but this is sharp. The influence of the people they have been picking up from the euro brands is really showing.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Hopefully a conservative measurement. A lot of american cars are like that too, they have tons of HP but are weirdly slow given the numbers. Gearing maybe?

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Hopefully a conservative measurement. A lot of american cars are like that too, they have tons of HP but are weirdly slow given the numbers. Gearing maybe?
    This is korean horse power, usually <hp/khp

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by schocker
    This is korean horse power, usually &lt;hp/khp
    Korean HP notwithstanding, 3.3L TT V6 should be capable of 0-60 times better than 5.1s
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    K-car

Kia/Hyundai are well known to over-hype their HP numbers. Looks to me like they hired all the unemployed Pontiac stylists, way overdone and busy, plus it pretty much looks like a stretched and flattened Optima. No thanks.

Really though, who's going to buy a performance kia sedan? Unless this thing is 30% cheaper than any mainstream luxury make it's going to sell as well as every other expensive Kia has....poorly

You know it'll be a good value used though as Kia resale values are terrible.

My Ride
    is broken

Any news from team Toyota about the FT-1 Supra?
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I think RWD is standard, and that little 2.0 turbo probably makes the rated power way high up in the rpm range. Combine that with probably tall gears for a decent highway mpg rating, a 6 speed, and likely an aggressive traction control to keep wheelspin down, and it makes sense. Launching a high strung turbo stick car and keeping it in boost without spinning too badly or frying the clutch can be a bit tricky on some cars and likely hurts the 0-60 a bit plus who knows what torque management or computer nannies are in it to keep Paul Walker wannabes from spitting the drivetrain out the bottom.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It's a 3.3L V6

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i think this is my midlife crisis car, now i just need the kids to move out so i can afford it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by ercchry
    It's a 3.3L V6
    According to Kia.ca, the GT is the 3.3L V6 and auto, the GT4 Stinger is a 2.0L turbo 4 and 6 speed stick.

GT4 Stinger
    http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...rs/gt4-stinger

GT
    http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...oncept-cars/gt

This side angle to me ruins the rest of a pretty nice looking car:

My Ride
    Exploded.

I think it looks good. I would've bought one, if it drove well.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by carson blocks

According to Kia.ca, the GT is the 3.3L V6 and auto, the GT4 Stinger is a 2.0L turbo 4 and 6 speed stick.

GT4 Stinger
    http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...rs/gt4-stinger

GT
    http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...oncept-cars/gt
    Uh, yeah... the GT is what everyone is discussing since it's the new news today

Not to mention it would be expected for a 315hp 6spd to be slower to 60 than 5s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast