Quantcast
Builder wont let me do my own wiring - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Builder wont let me do my own wiring

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Update:

When we looked at the vendor/supplier list for NuVista, we saw "One stop security" and they do video/audio. Data 4 quoted us $4000 to wire our house, One stop security quoted us $910

Plus they're throwing in couple switches so i can get sound from my tv to my speakers. Which data 4 said it wasn't possible
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    girl car

Hey guys,

On the subject of wiring, anyone have thoughts on security camera rough-in vs alarm system rough-in?

I'd be going POE for the cameras in the future but it'd be nice for the Cat6 to be cleanly installed.

Alternatively, I don't suspect i'll use it but I would like to rough-in the wires (8 ports) for door sensors, keypad, motion sensor etc for a potential alarm system.

I've done a ton of research of pros and cons, just looking for a homeowner's opinion.

I'll most likely (90%) get POE cameras in the near future - but once those are in, I don't suspect I'd ever need to install and pay a (imo) ridiculous monthly fee for alarm - even factoring in the discounted home insurance and the perks. Is it that appealing for resale?

Alarm rough in is super cheap (~150 ish) so IMO even if you have no plans to get an alarm system, get it done.
    ---

Originally posted by cream
    Hey guys,

On the subject of wiring, anyone have thoughts on security camera rough-in vs alarm system rough-in?

I'd be going POE for the cameras in the future but it'd be nice for the Cat6 to be cleanly installed.

Alternatively, I don't suspect i'll use it but I would like to rough-in the wires (8 ports) for door sensors, keypad, motion sensor etc for a potential alarm system.

I've done a ton of research of pros and cons, just looking for a homeowner's opinion.

I'll most likely (90%) get POE cameras in the near future - but once those are in, I don't suspect I'd ever need to install and pay a (imo) ridiculous monthly fee for alarm - even factoring in the discounted home insurance and the perks. Is it that appealing for resale?
    Wire for POE cams FOR SURE but i wouldn't worry about the sensors. My zwave smoke/glassbreak/window sensors have been in for over a year on the same batteries.

R!zz0, as for your layout for the speakers. I would split them into zones and make sure you have multiples of 2 speakers per zone. Running outside of multiples of 2's makes it a HUGE pain to amp them later.

Also, route the speaker wire away from power but past a location where you would want a future volume control nob or audio control panel (run 2x cat 6 here too). This will help with flexibility when you are selecting equipment. Some equipment control volumes through apps but some use manual impedance matching controllers or digital control panels.

Speakers....monoprice. Screw $500+ per pair. Monoprice sets perform quite nice for $60....per....PAIR.

Don't forget to pre-plan for mesh networking or addition access points.

2x cat6e to every TV location, router, or anything else connected. Builders usually just run coax or 1 cat5e.

All of the above are mistakes i made wiring it myself lol

My Ride
    A Slow Car

^Thanks man...Will do for sure.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2