Quantcast
Questions about carbon tax perceptions. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Questions about carbon tax perceptions.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Hah get real. Oil could be $150 and there would still be a deficit.
    It was close and you are right. , because we don't get the $150. We got $15 after incentives and rebates.

Income problem.

Originally posted by cjblair

It's sad that people who are as stupid as you have the power to vote.
    Let's say you own a car. Your are broke, so you don't change the oil. You are creating a much worse problem down the road.

Or you own a house, pipe srpings a leak, you ignore it because you can't afford to fix and maintain. Again, disaster down the road.

This is exactly why we find ourselves in this mess. The problem is on the income side.

The province exploded in population, and "maintenance, and costs, but we did not keep up with the income needed for these additional population andcosts.

Cutting spending only passes the buck, and makes things much more expensive in the future.

My Ride
    Silverado

What does maintainance and repairs have to do with gross overspending? Just cause my car has an oil leak doesn't mean I should replace the engine.

Just put him on ignore and go on about your day. I found that in several posts, he likes to argue for the sake of argument.

Nothing to gain here, he's just a typical meme/quote fanatic that believes the David Wolfe reality.

He doesn't have any real substantiated thoughts or proof to levy. He's a bitch that can't defend his own self serving opinions.

Not worth it.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    What does maintainance and repairs have to do with gross overspending? Just cause my car has an oil leak doesn't mean I should replace the engine.
    Are we living oppoluantly?

Our roads, education, health, policing is all mediocore. Our politicians dont live in gold plated palaces.

As population rose, costs went up, and we have not kept up. Easterners taking money home. Foreign companies taking money out that isn't spent here. low taxes and royalties.

I really don't see this overspending you speak of. I see a ship with a hole in it, plugged with duck tape instead of repaired properly.

Originally posted by Gestalt

Our roads, education, health, policing is all mediocore. Our politicians dont live in gold plated palaces.

As population rose, costs went up, and we have not kept up. Easterners taking money home. Foreign companies taking money out that isn't spent here. low taxes and royalties.

I really don't see this overspending you speak of. I see a ship with a hole in it, plugged with duck tape instead of repaired properly.
    Ignoring everything else he has posted, I agree with this, as long as he is not talking about raising taxes.

This province, and this country has mismanaged it's income potential.

If we simplify it in the extreme it comes down to we give our resources away for free, in exchange for a promise of some shitty jobs that get filled by people who don't even live here.

We are very similar to an African country in that respect. Foreign companies come in, rape, and we're all happy while they are doing that because things are 10% better.... but when things go south and they pull out, we are fucked wondering what to do now.

Alberta has oil, and BC doesn't, and when you look at our government run or maintained entities you'd think it was the other way around.

My Ride
    something green

Our roads, education, health, policing is all mediocore.
    Really....
    Too loud for Aspen

???

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about carbon tax perceptions.

Originally posted by jwslam

isn't that everything?

Do I support it: yes
    Does it benefit me: also yes
    Are you saying monetarily?

is it actually benefiting you? What's your net gain, 20 bucks?

I don't think anyone is benefiting monetarily other than the 18 y/o living at home with parents that cover their gas money.
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-25-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Originally posted by Maxt

Really....
    You really need to get out more

Our roads are shit, absolute shit, shit maintenance, shit design, shit planning for the future. We literally build bridges to take the traffic capacity of today with zero room for expansion (it is cheaper to build a new bridge than to add a single lane to an existing bridge), and then add 100000 people living on the other side of the bridge and wonder why it jams up. We do the same thing with choke points. We under build roads for capacity for entry to neighbourhoods.

Our healthcare is soso at best.

Education isn't anything amazing.

Policing. Minor crimes have zero chance of being solved unless you do your own policing and beg the police to arrest the guy, and then they will only show up 4 hours to see if he's still where you said he was. car stolen? house broken in to? Business robbed? vandalized whatever? hit and run? The police do not care and you are annoying them.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by zhao

Our roads are shit, absolute shit, shit maintenance, shit design, shit planning for the future. We literally build bridges to take the traffic capacity of today with zero room for expansion (it is cheaper to build a new bridge than to add a single lane to an existing bridge), and then add 100000 people living on the other side of the bridge and wonder why it jams up. We do the same thing with choke points. We under build roads for capacity for entry to neighbourhoods.

Policing. Minor crimes have zero chance of being solved unless you do your own policing and beg the police to arrest the guy, and then they will only show up 4 hours to see if he's still where you said he was. car stolen? house broken in to? Business robbed? vandalized whatever? hit and run? The police do not care and you are annoying them.
    whoosh.....
    Too loud for Aspen

whoosh.....
    Plop....

whoosh.....
    You're dealing with a guy with a 136-138 IQ, jokes have to be pretty advanced for him to get them
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

It is interesting that Alberta was one of the first provinces to introduce a carbon levy back in July of 2007. It was called the Specified Gas Emitters Regulation which covered about 45% of all emissions.

Basically it was targeted at facilities that emitted more than 100,000 tonnes of CO2e and they had to reduce these emissions.

This new carbon levy is nothing more than a tax grab... I think it is funny how the government says it is revenue neutral, when in fact it is their way of saying that they will just spend all the money they collect from it which does not make it revenue neutral. A true revenue neutral policy would be if it meant that the revenues collected from this specific program decreased the amount of revenue collected from a different program (say income taxes). Then it could be considered revenue neutral. Unfortunately, the general population think that by the government spending all the money makes it somehow revenue neutral.

Everything here is true. A family member is going through a Cancer diagnosis and treatment, and the lack of moving is shocking. A snail could crawl to California before reasonable action takes place.

For a province as resource rich as Alberta, it's seems sad we are mediocre at best while remaining in perpetual deficit.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Our healthcare system sucks money at an alarming rate. It has grown into a boondoggle. A monstrosity.

That's just one issue, the next is education.

Until costs come down in those two areas, everything else will continue to suffer.

I myself would like to see a true two tier healthcare system similar to Euro models.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

2 tier is for broke, underdeveloped, overpopulated second rate countries with inequality problems.

It has no place in a resource rich, underpopulated province like ab.

We also do not have the raw ingredients for a second tier, without further degrading our first tier.

Healtcare is expensive. No way around it, and calculated per person, we have reasonable costs. But we dont spend enough to make it number 1. Because we dont have the income.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

We raise taxes, guess where the revenue goes; into healthcare and education.
    Healthcare is broken. Throwing more money at it is solving nothing.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    We raise taxes, guess where the revenue goes; into healthcare and education.
    Healthcare is broken. Throwing more money at it is solving nothing.
    I'd counter that with the fact that yes there is inherent waste in the system but increasing funding does allow more dollars to trickle down to the end user.

You can ignorantly and coldly say we need to pull funding from healthcare and they will figure out how to run more efficiently as a result. There may be some truth to that but how long does the cancer patient have to wait for them to figure out how to provide the same level of care with less budget???

What good old drunky did to alberta's healthcare system is a good example of why that doesn't work.

IMO pulling funding from healthcare is never the right answer....
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-26-2017 at 01:28 PM.

The Carbon tax is interesting. I enjoy it because it shows the liars on both sides equally.

First, the supporters. Claiming it lowers pollution and stuff. Obvious lie, it Targets middle class Canadians. It's a tax. We've all had LED bulbs, programmable thermostats, and our cars are already bought and paid for. It's not like 4 cents a litre is going to make people sell their minivan or SUV and go out an buy a Tesla. My friend with kids aren't about to put the minivan away, and take their kids to school, soccer, swimming and so on on public transit.
    https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/models-charging#/calculator

Tesla is compelling, if Calgary can maintain a 4 or 5 cent per kwh coal power plant electricity rate the numbers for a 50 kilometer trip being 55 cents using a standard three prong outlet overnight charge looks good to me.

Its even more efficient if using 240 volt plugs (and supercharge stations) 42 cents for that 50 kilometer day trip.

And the fact that an electrical engine is pretty much the simplest piece of technology on the planet compared to a combustion engine which is one of the most complex (and most expensive to fix) If it took off, car repair shops would easily have to layoff 3x more people than now.

As long as the battery works in our climate that is. Does a Tesla make sense in Hawaii (36 US cents per kwh) NO. Does it make sense in equivalent 3 US cents per kwh Alberta, sign me up.

Germans are smart people, they invented the combustion engine. They are now banning it by 2030.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-26-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast