Quantcast
Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by Eleanor
    So I just read through the whole thing but I didn't see anything about engine mods though. On the HKS website it lists its turbos as "Off-Road Use Only". But what exactly makes them illegal on the streets? I would assume that they'd be legal, but that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover you. Anyone have any problems insuring their cars with extensive mods?
    that would be for the United States i beleive.
    we have no engine modification laws do we?

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Originally posted by gwild
    Thanks for the post - just replacing my daughter's prelude tail lamps - with clear - and was pretty sure I had to replace the turn signal bulbs with amber - now I know that it is a definate yes (or with red).

Rgds...Geoff
    Rear turn signal indicators must be yellow or red. Front turn signal indicators must be yellow or white.

My Ride
    1993 Mercury Sable GS

Default Ontario modification question

Ok for Ontario I was wondering on the legality of some horns for my 93 mercury sable. I found some horns on www.hornblasters.com and was wondering if it would be legal to put this http://www.hornblasters.com/products....php?item=PSY2 on my car. any information would be greatly appreciated because of course the MTO hasnt replied to my emails yet after like a week. so yeah anyone know if its legal or not, because the highway traffic act simply says no unesscesary noise but sometimes you need to alert people your there and these would do the trick quite well.

^^^ Those air horns are way too much. Get Hella for about half the price. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/horns.asp

You better make sure you have room for air horns. If not, buy the diaphram style that are more compact and easier to mount.

I don't know about the legality of louder aftermarket horns in Ontario; my guess is that they're okay.

My Ride
    1993 Mercury Sable GS

yea im not worried bout price im just using those for example for whether its legal or not...i do have the room just is it legal?

***EDIT***

here is the highway traffic act that im a bit confused on as to if its legal or not for air horns on a 4 door sedan:

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

kinda contradicts itself a little, but i think it is legal however my friend who is a mechanic student says its not. what do you guys think?

EDIT: i called the MTO was sent to call MTO enforcement who sent me to call Transport Canada who told me theres nothing there for aftermarket horns and sound laws for it. then called the local cops who told me as long as its not being hammered repeatedly for no reason im good then was told by them to call the provincial prosecution court or w/e who wasnt there so i deem them legal
    Last edited by humm3r; 11-28-2006 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    05 Lifted ram-08 Mega Cab Dually-1946 383 Chev

I dunno about the whole White signal lights in the front, ive got 4 tickets to prove it, yeah thats right TWO, they gave me a ticket for each individual front signal light and each individual rear (57$ x 4) and the exhaust thing is bogus too as i had 3" inlet and 3" outlet all the way through and i still got nailed with the 157$ ticket... all in one shot for doing nothing, 10 houses away from my place lol

My Ride
    2011 Subaru WRX STi Sedan

Originally posted by humm3r
    Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).
    Thats sweet, next mod is to replace my horn with a gong.

My Ride
    2010 GTR

So I just read through the whole thing but I didn't see anything about engine mods though. On the HKS website it lists its turbos as "Off-Road Use Only". But what exactly makes them illegal on the streets? I would assume that they'd be legal, but that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover you. Anyone have any problems insuring their cars with extensive mods?
    This is becuase HKS does not want to be liable to you driving into a tree.
    --------"On the 8th Day God Created Turbo"-------------
    94 NSX SuperCharged
    08 GSXR 750
    08 STI *****SOLD****
    02 S54 Mcoupe****SOLD****
    94 T78 SUPRA ****SOLD****
    04 SUBARU WRX STI (STOCK) **SOLD**

My Ride
    04 Acura TL

k...its pretty clear to me the rule regarding mufflers means you cannot legally widen your exhaust from STOCK dimensions. Therefore, all those fart cans ARE illegal and you SHOULD get a ticket. also makes it clear (to me) that almost all aftermarket exhausts/mufflers would be considered illegal since they increase noise....Parts are for off-road or race use only to limit liability (they likely aren't approved for road use).

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

I would love to know what constitutes excessive noise. There's no mention of a decibal limit.

And the human ear is not accurate enough to decide what is excessive or not properly, why?

Because some cars have a distinct sound wave pattern that will make them stand out over other noises. They aren't louder, they're just more noticeable, while other exhaust noises will blend in with the surrounding environment.

So how can you be guilty, if you can't prove what's excessive?

My Ride
    04 Acura TL

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

they dont have to prove its excessive...this basically means any aftermarket 'performance' exhaust.

And beyond that, its at a cops discretion...aka your screwed.

Originally posted by JGerke
    (3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

they dont have to prove its excessive...this basically means any aftermarket 'performance' exhaust.

And beyond that, its at a cops discretion...aka your screwed.
    It doesn't basically mean anything. There's no sub description of what the bylaw means. It says what it says.

For this particular one:

"device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise"

Even if you have an aftermarket muffler or exhaust system, if there is nothing attached to it "that increases the noise". Do you have a device attached to your muffler that increases the noise? I know I don't.

Of course it's the cops discretion when they write you the ticket. However it's not their discretion when you get the ticket thrown out by a justice of the peace when they realize how stupid this is. I've had all three of my muffler tickets thrown out in the past two years. These laws are just way too ambiguous to ticket someone who will fight the system.

I'm hearing things like "what it basically means" or "what they're trying to say" when you can't do that. It says what it says. The law is the law, how it's written. And if it's written to allow for loopholes, then power to the people who want their freedom.

If a contract has a weakness that allows someone to get out of it, you can't say "well the contract really means to say this so no you can't get out of the contract".

good info here, cleared up some questions for me

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

i think unnecessary noise would be like these whistlers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupWfAZIgig
    Last edited by wintonyk; 07-24-2007 at 06:37 PM.

My Ride
    Vmax

Funniest thing I have seen today

"""""Dats onli in da monin' You posta be up cookin' breffist fo somebody. And so, dats like an alarm clock. WOO WOO""""""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXa5...elated&search=

Better not come to my neighborhood LOL

Has anyone here been convicted of a muffler offense?

I'm thinking of installing a Borla XR-1 catback and although it has an in-line muffler, it's the closest you can get to a pair of straight pipes.

The last thing I want to do is spent $800 on an exhaust which will accumulate $800/yr in tickets.

My Ride
    240SX

i had a ractive muffler on my first 240, 3" all the way back on my current 240, cops have driven right behind me, checked my plates, and drove away. i havn't had problems with my mufflers yet.

My Ride
    92 Civic Si

I posted an earlier rant on how my OPI failed.. so i'll give it the muffler and the entire exhaust system.. but suspension/coilovers? sway bar? if it doesn't pass the OPI, so what? the cops gonna start pulling over people that lower their cars? that doesn't make sense.

My Ride
    92 Civic Si

in addition, i take my car down ot the track.. mufflers a given, i don't rev higher than 4500rpm..heck, vtec hsan't even kicked in.. it's not that loud if you drive with caution. yes, the cops can still do a routine check, but that's about it.. and if they ticket you/me, then its just a bad day. I just don't like how the law has "labelled" so to speak, all cars that are modified. Yeah, i agree, there are a number of yahoos and what not, but hey, what can you do...

My Ride
    Pontiac Sunfire

1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

now see my problem here is does anyone know how to get around this without having to change the muffler? cuz i got stopped last night and its been bugging me so damn much i havent been able to sleep but i was thinknig of shoving a piece of wired mesh into the muffler and welding it in place so that im not restricting anything really but for the next time a pig shoved his lovly little test sttick n there hed get a surprise and see that its posibly legal anyone think it would fly ?
    i kno my cars a POS but its my POS and one day looking back on it ill say wtf was i thinking

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast