Quantcast
Amsoil vs Royal Purple vs synthetic oil - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Amsoil vs Royal Purple vs synthetic oil

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Amsoil vs Royal Purple vs synthetic oil

so, did an oil change on my truck today, picked up some castrol edge fully synthetic, and completed the change.

Afterwards, a friend of mine told me he is an amsoil dealer, and will sell me the oil and such at his cost. In talking with him, he mentioned that they have 3 tiers, the top tier being good for 48,000kms and the mid-tier being good for 20,000kms.

I am wondering though, while the extended life is appealing, how do manufacturers view them? If you put oil good for 48kms, are the dealers ok with that kind of interval? does it void warranty?

Also, are these oils worth it? do they provide any real benefits or is it marketing?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

It's a mix of both marketing and real benefits. While the oil itself might not breakdown for 48 000 kms the additives and detergents still do way before that

I've always kind of wanted to try it though, and just send a sample in for testing every few thousand kms just for piece of mind. I have a hard enough time doing my synthetic changes at 10 000kms though so not sure I could mentally handle 4x times that without thinking I'm destroying my engine

Good question about the warranty though, I'm curious now as well
    Last edited by btimbit; 04-11-2017 at 10:11 PM.

My Ride
    G35

This is the place to ask/read bobistheoilguy.com/

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by rvd
    This is the place to ask/read bobistheoilguy.com/
    ^^^ There is an entire forum dedicated to oil haha we dont need to start another one here.

My Ride
    G37X

Manufacturers won't care how great the oil typically is, if you're doing 48,000km intervals when manual calls for 8k or something, you've likely said goodbye to any engine warranty.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Canada also falls firmly into Extreme conditions, which Amsoil probably doesn't include in the 48000km interval.

Not sure I'd trust the oil filter lasting that long even if the oil did

My Ride
    G37X

Buy whatever synthetic is on sale and use a decent filter. The end.

In every car i've owned I changed the oil at 5K consistently regardless of the "regular interval" because I don't trust any filter. Always synthetic. I am also aware that synthetic oil is good for longer intervals. However, no filter will last as long as the oil will.

Lubromoly (liquimoly) blue bottle.

Buy it directly from a german supplier and have it shipped once a year.

I'll never trust oil or filters sold at a walmart. That's just me.

Amsoil is great oil.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'd do a 15,000km change on a "48,000" oil. Send a sample to a lab (there is one in Edmonton) and see the results.

If the oil is fine, you COULD get away with just changing the filter out 2-3x in that cycle - although as stated, we fall into extreme driving conditions and as such you might not get past 30,000kms.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

I hate how my car calls for full synthetic and dealer change intervals are like every facking 6000 kms. Oh well while on warranty you gotta i guess

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Yep.

Anyone paying $100 for 5 litres of oil is a goof.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    +1

I usually buy a couple jugs of my preferred oil when it's on sale, just so I am not rushed to get something come oil change time.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Yep.

Anyone paying $100 for 5 litres of oil is a goof.
    I've done it. Ran RP, Amsoil, Redline, Lucas and so on. Didn't notice any difference in a street car. Just a lower bank account balance. I think where most people go wrong is not running a quality filter read: no motomaster junk.

spikerS - being that you have an ecoboost and I believe the same 1st gen engine... as per RickDaTuner, frequent oil changes are more important than anything in this truck.

I don't run more than 5k, and I used many different oils, ranging from the Mastercraft (ford) semi-synthetic to the pennzoil ultra platinum

being that I change the oil as frequently as I do, I really cannot tell a difference, but for my own sanity, I use the best synthetic I can in the winter months, as I may not always be able to plug in the truck for an extended period at work.

Synthetics are just that... oil or NGL based hydrocarbons re-assembled to ensure the most consistency of the oil.

They are in varying groupings ranging from 1-5, where 1-3 are mostly "refined" (essentially distilled) mineral based oil (3 being semi-synthetic), and 4-5 are real polyalphaolefins synthesized lubricants

I believe that with even mobile 1, and most main brand fully synthetics are not actually group 4 or greater.

The pennzoil ultra platinum, Castrol Syntec (german) as is Amsoil, royal purple and Motul are group >4 and can be synthesized through varying feedstock from crude or natrual gas

With that all said, the higher the grade, the more uniform the hydrocarbon, which under extreme conditions means an increase to oil sheer stability (measure of the resistance of an oil to change in viscosity, caused by the oil being subjected to mechanical stress or shear)

likes ball bearings, the more uniform, the smoother and longer they will continue to turn.

With that said... Grade >4 oils will not yield any tangible performance or durability gains if the application does not warrant it. In fact the proprietary additives of the oil may be more beneficial for road vehicles.... and in fact I've heard that Grade 3> oils with a larger mineral base is more stable and better for DI engines that happen to be subject to gas dilution and soot.

Most Grade >3 oils are more than sufficient for all year round drive ability and I think frequency of changes with good quality filters is the most important.

I believe that Yota, Honda and Ford (and many others I suspect) all have moved to a high grade (3) semi-synthetic that has alloted for the extended change frequencies.

If you read the bob is the oil guy forum, the motocraft filter and oil has tested positively... I believe was even used for all the 1st gen release of the ecoboost engine torture tests

If SAY, I tow 8k+ routinely in all conditions for work, or was aggressively tuned, always racing and pushing those turbos to 20k RPM and those injectors hard, I'd definitely switch to a Grade 4 oil... but for those who aren't... there is no point

oh and as to the Amsoil "amway" type franchise model they have... my friend is one.

He has a 2010 5.4 F150 and has used their additives for the transmission, diffs, coolant and religiously changes his oil @ 20k intervals

well... he has 130k km on it, and now has to get the cam phasers replaced.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 04-12-2017 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride
    LNF

When I was in high school I worked at a shop changing oil.. And I can tell you one common occurrence that I noticed with the guys using the Amsoil 48k oil.. Every car that used it was pissing out oil.

They all leaked oil but all of the guys swore by it. And they were always getting their oil analyzed when they would bring them in.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by r3ccOs

oh and as to the Amsoil "amway" type franchise model they have... my friend is one.

He has a 2010 5.4 F150 and has used their additives for the transmission, diffs, coolant and religiously changes his oil @ 20k intervals

well... he has 130k km on it, and now has to get the cam phasers replaced.
    These guys seem to be brain washed with amsoil. I will stick with oem specs for oil changes and oil grades..

These days, I am very much of the opinion that you will never see any negative effects over a vehicle's lifetime by using quality synthetic and regular change intervals, regardless of brand. I don't think there's ever been a case of "If Only I had used Amsoil or Royal Purple, X problem wouldn't have happened." Letting vehicles go crazy KM without oil/filter changes doesn't sit well with me, and voids warranty if you're on it.

Dealer bulk full-synthetic and manufacturer recommended oil change intervals is what I do. I have never, and don't expect to ever, have issues. Nor would I ever own a car long enough where oil-related issues would occur.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Should never come close to the factory interval on a turbo engine that sees towing duty, especially with our conditions, those eco boosts like fresh oil... I'd say anything you can buy at CT for synthetic is going to be really close... for me it's motul all the way. Proven oil, my shop of choice has tested many, many oils and they stand by it

Edit: anyone remember when royal purple was really popular? "Duuude, my car is faster cause purple! Makes 10 more horse power!!!!"
    Last edited by ercchry; 04-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    well... he has 130k km on it, and now has to get the cam phasers replaced. [/B]
    To be fair, on that engine he's eventually doing this with whatever oil he uses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast