Quantcast
Class 1 DL worth getting with conviction on abstract? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Class 1 DL worth getting with conviction on abstract?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Class 1 DL worth getting with conviction on abstract?

I have been considering going through some Class 1 drivers training this year and getting my Class 1 drivers license.

However, if a person has an imperfect drivers abstract, is it even worth doing? I have been told that most transport companies are really picky when it comes to a drivers history. They only want clean abstracts, anything else goes in the trash.

I recently got a speeding ticket, I had a clean abstract up until then.

Just wondering if its something worth doing still.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    changes every year

It's just 1 speeding ticket, it's not like it's a DUI. You throw around the word conviction like you killed someone lol

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I got my class 1 when I turned 18 and at the time my drivers abstract was abysmal. The only company that would hire me was the one I was already working for and they made me do supplemental training to bring it down. My take away from it was 6 demerits is the upper limit tolerance of most companies, 3 or less is preferred. Additionally most companies will look at whether or not that 1 ticket was in a commercial vehicle or not and they go a little softer if it wasn't.

I am not sure about the current rules because it was a decade ago that I did it but my Class 1 training counted as driver training and was good to wipe off 3 demerits from my licence. Two years later I did a defensive driving course and got another 3 taken off. Then I realized maybe if I stopped driving like a dick maybe I wouldn't get as many tickets.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that right now (at least in oil and gas) there is a huge job market if you have your class 1 and are half competent. Even gravel trucks or other construction truck driving places need guys, except most of them make a point of not hiring oil field guys and would choose to starve. The only thing I see you having a hard time getting into with a ticket and no experience is low-boy transportation.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 04-20-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I'll second Churchill. The amount of people hiring class 5's for trainee positions is quite high right now, so if you had your class 1 you're already ahead.

I took mine a while ago as well, but I'm not sure if it was the class 1 training, since most of it was 3rd party in house, or the GODI class I had to take that lost me some demerits.

I have never drove transport though, so I'm not really sure on how that is different from the rest.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    It's just 1 speeding ticket, it's not like it's a DUI. You throw around the word conviction like you killed someone lol
    True, it's still before the court but it will probably end up as a conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I got my class 1 when I turned 18 and at the time my drivers abstract was abysmal. The only company that would hire me was the one I was already working for and they made me do supplemental training to bring it down. My take away from it was 6 demerits is the upper limit tolerance of most companies, 3 or less is preferred. Additionally most companies will look at whether or not that 1 ticket was in a commercial vehicle or not and they go a little softer if it wasn't.

I am not sure about the current rules because it was a decade ago that I did it but my Class 1 training counted as driver training and was good to wipe off 3 demerits from my licence. Two years later I did a defensive driving course and got another 3 taken off. Then I realized maybe if I stopped driving like a dick maybe I wouldn't get as many tickets.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that right now (at least in oil and gas) there is a huge job market if you have your class 1 and are half competent. Even gravel trucks or other construction truck driving places need guys, except most of them make a point of not hiring oil field guys and would choose to starve. The only thing I see you having a hard time getting into with a ticket and no experience is low-boy transportation.
    Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    I'll second Churchill. The amount of people hiring class 5's for trainee positions is quite high right now, so if you had your class 1 you're already ahead.

I took mine a while ago as well, but I'm not sure if it was the class 1 training, since most of it was 3rd party in house, or the GODI class I had to take that lost me some demerits.

I have never drove transport though, so I'm not really sure on how that is different from the rest.

Thanks guys. You guys must be involved in fracking or something?

I just don't want to spend all the money on it just to be blocked from a transport job because of a speeding ticket if I decide on a career change later on down the road.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post

Thanks guys. You guys must be involved in fracking or something?

I just don't want to spend all the money on it just to be blocked from a transport job because of a speeding ticket if I decide on a career change later on down the road.
    I did a couple years of well servicing, when I was fresh out of high school, but that was about 8 years of post-secondary ago. One speeding ticket likely won't have much impact on your abstract, but it's generally the commercial infractions that they don't want to see.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    I did a couple years of well servicing, when I was fresh out of high school, but that was about 8 years of post-secondary ago. One speeding ticket likely won't have much impact on your abstract, but it's generally the commercial infractions that they don't want to see.
    I see. Ok thanks.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    AECO

IMO it's the experience piece that is more important. A couple of tickets shouldn't affect you when there is a shortage of drivers in the industry.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

^ That's the plan. I'll see what the Crown wants to do. Hoping for some movement on the demerits.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew