Quantcast
Calgary Flames New Arena Update - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If the Flames need a new arena, it should be funded through their organization. They should also be on the hook for a contribution to help improve the infrastructure to make access as easy as possible.

If they want CoC money, it should be treated as an investment by the city, not a loan. The city would get a percentage share of all profits generated by the new arena equal to the percentage they put into the construction.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    .....And what is wrong with the saddle dome exactly?
    Flames get exactly zero percent of parking revenues is another bone of contention.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 11:07 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by FraserB
    They should also be on the hook for a contribution to help improve the infrastructure to make access as easy as possible.
    This I disagree with. The city is responsible for the infrastructure, that's what our taxes pay for. Crowchild/Bow is a fucking gong show that needs to be fixed regardless of an arena or not. Pawning that off to a business is a ridiculous notion.

Anyways, I really hope that CFLP does this the PSL way, with a first right of refusal for PSL holders of all events. The first holders aren't even subsidizing it really, as those PSL's can be resold to new owners if you don't want them anymore. It just makes season tickets less affordable up front, and makes event tickets harder to come by.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    Stampede would definitely tear down the Saddledome. They will go bankrupt trying to maintain it.

From my understanding, the building is owned by City of Calgary, leased to the Stampede, and subleased to the Flames who are responsible for full maintenance of the building for cheaper rent.

The Stampede, being the middle man, makes a ton of money on everything else there while having to do no work, and the Flames want in on that action.

What I can't remember is how much the Stampede makes off the Dome, if it's all concerts, or just the Stampede concerts or what.

The City of Calgary will also lose a big piece of revenue stream (which means our taxes go up) if the dome is gone and the new arena is completely private.
    It's leased to the 'Saddledome Foundation' who originally subleased to the Stampede until the Flames bought out the management contract so they can collect everything. The $15M it cost to lease the arena management deal for 20 years from the Saddledome Foundation goes to amateur sport.

Teams like the idea of leasing the building from a public owner because it is more profitable. It essentially cost the Flames $750K a year to gain all the benefits of owning an arena. Compare that to the privately owned Bell Centre in Montreal where the Habs reportedly paid $8.2M in 2007 property taxes to the city. Much better to have the former setup than the latter if you're the team.

Most city's like to justify to themselves the benefit of owning the arena themselves is that they possess the asset (which on their books is worth nine figures, in reality it is worth nothing when it comes time to replace it) even though it is much more lucrative to collect property taxes.

Anyways, I really hope that CFLP does this the PSL way, with a first right of refusal for PSL holders of all events. The first holders aren't even subsidizing it really, as those PSL's can be resold to new owners if you don't want them anymore. It just makes season tickets less affordable up front, and makes event tickets harder to come by.
    There will also be a whole lot more luxury suites. Probably 100+ and match the ACC.

My Ride
    Lariat

I was talking with Ken King a few weeks ago and he said the new area would have far better access to c train than the dome, as soon as I heard this I figured it would be west of downtown in the gsl/millenium park area. Looking forward to a new arena, I love the dome but its too dated.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Reading this thread is quite interesting.... it's like the Edmonton arena debate again... only Calgary. The building does have its unique problems from what I have read.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 12:26 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    .....And what is wrong with the saddle dome exactly?
    It's a dump.

By the time it gets replaced, it'll be the oldest building in the NHL.

The concourse is way too small(Even before they stick a friggin' Dodge Ram in it) too few luxury suites, parking sucks, access sucks, bands don't like playing there.

It needs to go. But I agree, taxpayers shouldn't be the ones paying for it

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha that Dodge Ram is such a bottleneck, I'm surprised it's been there for so long.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Worth adding (Not sure if it's mentioned in the article) this will likely incorporate a new place for the Stamps to play too.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by btimbit
    Worth adding (Not sure if it's mentioned in the article) this will likely incorporate a new place for the Stamps to play too.
    And by taking out McMahon Stadium Crowchild can get some much needed upgrades to remove those intersections at 24th and 23rd.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by rage2

And by taking out McMahon Stadium Crowchild can get some much needed upgrades to remove those intersections at 24th and 23rd.
    It's a dump but I wonder if they'd keep McMahon around for the Dinos.

I've pretty much given up on Crowchild ever getting fixed, ever.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Watched the Pens play in the Consol Energy Center. In and out of my seat so quick and easy. Could go browse the huge Pen's store downstairs, buy a few items, go piss, get a couple more tall cans of beer, and make it back to my seat with time to spare. Makes me not even want to watch anything at the Dome after that. Can't imagine what other better arenas are like.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 11-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.

It's a dump but I wonder if they'd keep McMahon around for the Dinos.

I've pretty much given up on Crowchild ever getting fixed, ever.
    The University could make too much money selling/leasing McMahon for development when a new stadium gets built to warrant keeping it.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

The difference between this, the library and the NMC, is this is a private, for-profit enterprise.

I understand why some people value public money for the arts, cultural venues, and educational institutions such as schools, libraries and museums.

I don't understand why the Flames should be subsidized. And I'm a season ticket holder that knows I'm getting boned when the arena goes up.

Many companies can claim they bring in tourist and entertainment dollars to the city, hell every hotel could ask for a subsidy if that was the criteria.

Also, with the arena being downtown, most infrastructure will also serve daily commuters, so yes, I think that is an easy one for the city to pick up the tab on without doing so strictly to support a private enterprise.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Watched the Pens play in the Consol Energy Center. In and out of my seat so quick and easy. Could go browse the huge Pen's store downstairs, buy a few items, go piss, get a couple more tall cans of beer, and make it back to my seat with time to spare. Makes me not even want to watch anything at the Dome after that. Can't imagine what other better arenas are like.
    I honestly think that if the concourses were not so bad at the saddledome no one would be calling for a new arena.

Outside of the owners who want a new arena to make more money.

What really boggles my mind is why the average fan would want a new arena. It's simply going to raise the average ticket price by likely a significant amount.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by lasimmon

What really boggles my mind is why the average fan would want a new arena. It's simply going to raise the average ticket price by likely a significant amount.
    The Saddledome is an 80's relic and frankly is getting close to embarressing

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

The Saddledome is an 80's relic and frankly is getting close to embarressing
    I kind of like the old dome. It's got some history.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I kind of like the old dome. It's got some history.
    I'll miss it like hell when it's gone for nostalgia's sake, but getting a beer and taking a piss should not take 20+ minutes.

I also never want to have to drive to Edmonton for a concert again.

But if they refuse to do it without public money, I'd be fine with keeping the Dome around. It's dark and old, but at least it's not falling apart like McMahon.

I just really wish our city had world class sports facilities

Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast