Quantcast
Calgary Flames New Arena Update - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

Originally posted by btimbit
    I'll miss it like hell when it's gone for nostalgia's sake, but getting a beer and taking a piss should not take 20+ minutes.

I also never want to have to drive to Edmonton for a concert again.

But if they refuse to do it without public money, I'd be fine with keeping the Dome around. It's dark and old, but at least it's not falling apart like McMahon.

I just really wish our city had world class sports facilities
    What needs to be remembered here is that the Flames (including the Stampeders who they own) only lease both the Saddledome and McMahon. They get no cut of the parking at either facility as far as I'm aware of although they do run the concessions. As far as McMahon, we won't see any major upgrades there because it's owned by the U of C and the Saddledome, well it's antiquated and inadequate in today's entertainment facility world.

Now what also needs to be noted that the Flames are not looking at just a new arena (such as the thread title suggests) but are instead looking at building a facility that would have an arena, a stadium and possibly some other sporting faculties as well. The McMahon areas could accommodate such a facility but I don't see such a beast being built there on University lands. Firepark could accommodate it also but will be a no go due to it's location. Stampede Park is probably a no go because the Flames wouldn't get parking monies so that leaves the west village and the bus barn area just to the north of Stampede Park - both are tight squeezes for such a facility and both are or will be on LRT lines and both are located within a long stone's throw of the core. Toss up as to which would come out on top but I'd bet west village.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Gossip of drawings floating around from the consultants has started...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

After reading through that West Village ARP that rage talked about, I'm not sure they coudl fit the stadium over tehre givent he roadway degins they are planning. Presumably those aren't set in stone, but they ARp would have be reworked from the ground up in order to make one tadium fit, let alone two or an entire "sporting district" concept.

That being said, I really like what the city of glendale has with the stadiums all next to each other. Something like that in calgary would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I suggest putting the Flames/Stamps giant complex right by the east side of airport tunnel to justify its existence and rejuvenate the area.

Last edited by Xtrema; 11-26-2014 at 04:57 PM.

How things could fit at McMahon (using the Saddledome and Winnipeg's IGF stadium as examples)...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

and Firepark...

click for larger version

and Railtown...

click for larger version

and West Village...

click for larger version

All images lifted from Calgary Skyscraper forum where there's been quite a discussion going on about this new facility.
    Last edited by speedog; 11-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Will never go in at McMahon, the university isn't in the business of selling it's land, and the Flames would never build a satdium on someone else's land, because they'd loose control of the revenues.

That west village option looks great, but the ARP would beed to be scrapped.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Interestingly enough, one could probably squeeze such a multi-use facility in at North Hill if one were to bulldoze Sears - it would be a tight squeeze but it could work. Won't happen though - preferred location will be very near downtown IMHO..
    Will fuck off, again.

I know people who never go to games because its too expensive who want a new stadium.

I think people think a new stadium = more seats where in reality a new stadium = more boxes.

I go to ~25 games a year, and only pay for 2-4. I doubt I would pay for any if prices go up.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Flames ticket pricing is insane. None of my friends in the US believe me when I tell them what we pay here to go see a game. I'll tell them about $150-$200 is average for regular game second bowl seating.

I could go see a broncos game, catch a bit of the rockies game and watch the avalanche play for what a second bowl flames ticket cost while I was living in CO.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Ill chip in a couple of bucks for a new arena... better concerts and events are an added bonus!

Originally posted by speedog
    Interestingly enough, one could probably squeeze such a multi-use facility in at North Hill if one were to bulldoze Sears - it would be a tight squeeze but it could work. Won't happen though - preferred location will be very near downtown IMHO..
    That wouldn't be a bad spot actually. We know downtown will be fine with development, but that would really help spur everything along 16th, Banff Trail, Lion's Park etc.

Would be the best 'non-downtown' location IMO, even if it isn't in the cards (why build at North Hill when an owner already owns Firepark, or a big chunk of it, if the downtown option falls through).

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Re: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

Originally posted by rage2
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...e-flames-arena

Not the greatest article to read, but basically, City thinks Calgary Flames LP (CFLP) is on crack asking for handouts over at West Village, pretty much the only site that CFLP is realistically looking at. Dropping an arena there will seriously undermine future tax revenues of the area. If the CFLP wants to build there, they'll need to buy the land themselves.

I completely agree with Nenshi and City Council that there should be no handouts for CFLP on the new arena. Hell, I even disagree on publically funded projects such as the library. CRL or not, all Calgary taxpayers are on the hook, as we've seen in this week's budget and tax increase discussions.

As a Flames fan, I would love to see a new arena in West Village that ties into the revitalization project there. The city should only help in funding for infrastructure changes to support the area, especially the Crowchild bridge gongshow in that area that severely needs updating. This is something that the city needs to do anyways regardless of an arena going in or not, so I'm all for it.

Hockey isn't a cheap sport. If Flames fans wants a new arena, Flames fans should be the ones to pay for the new arena, through ticket sales, and Personal Seat Licenses that guarantees first rights of refusal for their seats for all events in the new arena.

With that being said, I can see where CFLP is coming from. The city has been on a spending spree on projects such as the library, NMC, with over a billion dollars poured into the area in the name of revitalization. While I don't agree with it, CFLP shouldn't get such a quick rejection from Nenshi and City Council because it's no different than such a project. You can argue that the CFLP is a private business, but so are the developers that are raking in all that money in East Village. A new arena in that area, with condos, shopping, restaurants, nightlife and fixed road infrastructure would be an awesome way to clean that mess up. West downtown has grown to the edge of the area already, it's only logical that area should be cleaned up and expanded on next.

i heard about in 1989 and again last year the site north of max bell where firestone use to be (the tower is still there) is where they have their eyes..

One of the Flames owners owns a big chunk of Firepark? If so, then that could certainly elevate the possibility of a Firepark site.
    Will fuck off, again.

One of the Flames owners owns a big chunk of Firepark? If so, then that could certainly elevate the possibility of a Firepark site.
    At least according to people at CP. Markin supposedly.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Re: Re: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

Originally posted by thetransporter

i heard about in 1989 and again last year the site north of max bell where firestone use to be (the tower is still there) is where they have their eyes..
    That would be the firepark location that is being discussed. Great location IMO.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary Flames New Arena Update

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

That would be the firepark location that is being discussed. Great location IMO.
    when I had the reply open page page 3 was not even created

would this mean red mile will extend to 17 ave se after a game win?
    j/k
    Last edited by thetransporter; 11-26-2014 at 08:41 PM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Flames ticket pricing is insane. None of my friends in the US believe me when I tell them what we pay here to go see a game. I'll tell them about $150-$200 is average for regular game second bowl seating.

I could go see a broncos game, catch a bit of the rockies game and watch the avalanche play for what a second bowl flames ticket cost while I was living in CO.
    we're mid pack compared to the rest of the league on ticket prices:

https://teammarketing.com/public/upl...20fci%2015.pdf

So as usual, no news about a new arena here in Calgary and yet, glass is going up on Roger's Place in Edmonton - that is going to be a great facility and will allow our neighbors to the north to continue to get acts that Calgary cannot...

click for larger version

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

So as usual, no news about a new arena here in Calgary and yet, glass is going up on Roger's Place in Edmonton - that is going to be a great facility and will allow our neighbors to the north to continue to get acts that Calgary cannot...

click for larger version
    They still have the Oilers so they lose overall.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

This should have nothing to do with Edmonton vs. Calgary. A high end arena in both cities will be a benefit overall. Rumor was last time Madonna had a tour she skipped the entire province because the Dome couldn't fit her stage. This time she is coming to Edmonton thankfully (and hopefully with a second date) but I think two high end arenas will help more than hurt.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast