Quantcast
Lafarge Canada wants to rat on you for speeding. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Lafarge Canada wants to rat on you for speeding.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Originally posted by speedog

Kind of like that oh so successful 'don't buy gas on this day so we can teach those fuel companies a lesson', eh.
    ^ I know eh?

I remember Earls didn't lose any sales for saying they were buying beef south of the border.

Jacknbox was totally unaffected by killing a bunch of people from tainted meat.

Toyota didn't lose a dime in sales from people claiming their cars accelerated for no reason too.

Pissing off people has never had a negative impact on businesses.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I work at lafarge as a driver. I haven't heard of this yet as I've been off for the winter. I don't think it is what you guys think it is, but I can't tell you how many times I have been dangerously passed, and I don't mean by a guy doing 120 in a 100, I mean I'm doing 70 and someone will drive up the ending shoulder to pass then slam on brakes to stop for the light, or swerve over last second to get in front of the que while I'm stopping a 47,000kg truck. I don't see the cameras doing anything but providing us proof when we hit a fucking asshole that does something stupid and blames us. I don't know what Edmonton does, but I assume being a pace vehicle is just that they will know that lafarge is doing exactly 90 in a 100.

And on the whole 10 under thing, it is fine for me on major roads, but there is some 50 zones by our yard that should be 80s (by heather glen golf course) that are tough to hold that 40, but in general any residential I was doing 30-40 anyways as people pull out from anywhere. Glenmore sucks doing 70, and I feel bad on single lane roads, but in general it's pretty relaxing driving slower.

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

Lafarge can smd

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by theken
    I work at lafarge as a driver. I haven't heard of this yet as I've been off for the winter. I don't think it is what you guys think it is, but I can't tell you how many times I have been dangerously passed, and I don't mean by a guy doing 120 in a 100, I mean I'm doing 70 and someone will drive up the ending shoulder to pass then slam on brakes to stop for the light, or swerve over last second to get in front of the que while I'm stopping a 47,000kg truck. I don't see the cameras doing anything but providing us proof when we hit a fucking asshole that does something stupid and blames us. I don't know what Edmonton does, but I assume being a pace vehicle is just that they will know that lafarge is doing exactly 90 in a 100.

And on the whole 10 under thing, it is fine for me on major roads, but there is some 50 zones by our yard that should be 80s (by heather glen golf course) that are tough to hold that 40, but in general any residential I was doing 30-40 anyways as people pull out from anywhere. Glenmore sucks doing 70, and I feel bad on single lane roads, but in general it's pretty relaxing driving slower.
    They could have instituted a 10kph under the limit policy and installed cameras without the ridiculous press releases.

For some reason, they feel the need to make it known that they plan to act as scouts for the police and as "pace cars" to slow traffic. What this would gain them is somewhat mysterious.
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Originally posted by FraserB

They could have instituted a 10kph under the limit policy and installed cameras without the ridiculous press releases.

For some reason, they feel the need to make it known that they plan to act as scouts for the police and as "pace cars" to slow traffic. What this would gain them is somewhat mysterious.
    Less collisions, lower insurance, less rehab and sick time from injuries, less mechanical downtime from crashed trucks... The list goes on. So maybe the better question is what could they lose?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

If those things were an issue, which they aren't. Lafarge trucks would have to be getting in accidents all the time for those to be concerns. And spoiler alert, the 47k kg truck WINS everytime. Everyone on the road is insured, so its not like the money comes out of their pockets or their rates are affected if not-at-fault.

So in short, a whole pile of bullshit. The CEO of lafarge is an asshole busybody who is stereotypical "wont someone think of the children" idiot.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by heavyD
    Taken right out the Earls book of ingenious business decision making.
    Totally. Haven't eaten at an Earl's since.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Totally. Haven't eaten at an Earl's since.
    The crazy thing, someone who makes the decisions at Earls, actually thought this was a good idea. Well, they did, so how about just asking the customers if they would prefer mandatory tipping? Of course, the answer would have been a resounding, "Fuck NO!", and that would have avoided all that fucktardery.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    If those things were an issue, which they aren't. Lafarge trucks would have to be getting in accidents all the time for those to be concerns. And spoiler alert, the 47k kg truck WINS everytime. Everyone on the road is insured, so its not like the money comes out of their pockets or their rates are affected if not-at-fault.

So in short, a whole pile of bullshit. The CEO of lafarge is an asshole busybody who is stereotypical "wont someone think of the children" idiot.
    Im sure the council in Edmonton has ninnies (like Druh Farrel?) to even be considering this idea.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Seth1968
    The crazy thing, someone who makes the decisions at Earls, actually thought this was a good idea. Well, they did, so how about just asking the customers if they would prefer mandatory tipping? Of course, the answer would have been a resounding, "Fuck NO!", and that would have avoided all that fucktardery.
    Poor leadership, I'm sure plenty of people told the ceo that it was a very bad move prior to him rolling it out. So now you have stubborn people like me whom will never go to an Earl's again.

As soon as you get about 15% of the cars on the road being driverless or driver assisted, speeding will become practically impossible.

As there will be not only cameras visually watching you from those cars - but better than human accuracy GPS and radio frequency acceleration and speed measuring one hundred times per second.

So I guess the moral of the story is: Speed now while you can still get away with it, because its going away in the future for sure.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3