Quantcast
Basement development - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Basement development

My Ride
    Z

Default Basement development

Because that seems to be what to do these days. Any suggestions? We have 4 bedrooms upstairs and the gym could be a bedroom if needed. We were looking at 2 tier couch seating for a projection movie area.
    Name:  20231015_205110.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  237.7 KB
    Last edited by g-m; 10-15-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

I like it.
    Small thing I would do is flip the stairwell door around, so when it is open, it doesn’t intrude into the basement space.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Is your under-stair space supposed to be like @rage2 's media server room?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like it.
    Small thing I would do is flip the stairwell door around, so when it is open, it doesn’t intrude into the basement space.
    Then you have to awkwardly back against the stairs to open it. Would be nicer though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Is your under-stair space supposed to be like @rage2 's media server room?
    That would be perfect. Troubleshooting might be a bitch having to loop around but that’s a one time thing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Do you need the walls and door after the stairs landing? Do railing to open up the space.
    That is a really big mech/storage space. I would try to maximize living space.
    Like others said, pocket door to under the stairs and delete the electronic mech space.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Do you need the walls and door after the stairs landing? Do railing to open up the space.
    Like others said, pocket door to under the stairs and delete the electronic mech space.
    The only think is disagree with here is minimizing the mech/storage space. When I did the basement in my new house here, the previous home owners moved the furnace when they built it and the result was it essentially being in a tiny room big enough for the furnace, hot water tank, pannel, and HRV system. We find outselves having to get creative for storage for things that you use too much to put in the garage but not enough for them to have a permanent home. With the way the bump out works on that basement I would say there is likely also a beam which makes building a wall there make sense. I think you'd rather have it than the extra 5 feet of room you could have to recess the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That would be perfect. Troubleshooting might be a bitch having to loop around but that’s a one time thing.
    Installed shortcut
    Name:  shortcut.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  451.2 KB

My Ride
    Z

I was thinking something like that. Right now we have freezers against that wall but I was thinking 1 door likely isn't ideal and it should probably be bigger to make it easier to get furnace, fridge, etc through. Will rework that area a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Then you have to awkwardly back against the stairs to open it. Would be nicer though.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    We were thinking about this as well. It would look a lot nicer but we've got one three week old kid and might have another one once the PTSD wears off. Anything going on downstairs could be kinda contained noise-wise as long as its sheeted in with a door which is why we landed on this setup which is a bit less ideal from a space and aesthetics perspective. When we develop the roof I was going to put in some sound deadening insulation as well as some walls. Its pretty cheap and actually makes a huge difference. So you could in theory have a party or watch a loud movie and not disturb anyone sleeping on the second level. The theory anyway heh.

You're thinking make that area entirely into a hallway more or less (mech elec)?

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    The only think is disagree with here is minimizing the mech/storage space. When I did the basement in my new house here, the previous home owners moved the furnace when they built it and the result was it essentially being in a tiny room big enough for the furnace, hot water tank, pannel, and HRV system. We find outselves having to get creative for storage for things that you use too much to put in the garage but not enough for them to have a permanent home. With the way the bump out works on that basement I would say there is likely also a beam which makes building a wall there make sense. I think you'd rather have it than the extra 5 feet of room you could have to recess the couch
    You nailed it, we have 2 freezers in there right now and 4 wine fridges where the second tier of seating is right now for the movie area. That would all go into the mech/utility/storage area.

The bar area would be a wet bar against the wall with a sink and a drawer dishwasher to maximize space and functionality. I also have an old air hockey table I'll probably set up there when the kid(s?) are older. That beam in that room I've had redesigned to move the columns so they abut the wall and open the space up.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

People build weird shit nowadays to have hidden rooms, seems to be a trend. Depending how big the gap is beside the TV/Projector what if you simply made a flush/hidden door there that swings out into the room? Though looking at the scale maybe you're a bit short on room.

One thing I do see though is a 30" door by the stairs, that's likely going to be a pain getting furniture & mechanical stuff down into the basement. Might be worth widening it a hair to save yourself some grief.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-17-2023 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

32 inch doors on stairs and utility room for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    drawer dishwasher
    I thought this was what I wanted too until I saw the cost

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    32 inch doors on stairs and utility room for sure.
    Solid wood door into Utility Room for noise suppression.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    People build weird shit nowadays to have hidden rooms, seems to be a trend. Depending how big the gap is beside the TV/Projector what if you simply made a flush/hidden door there that swings out into the room? Though looking at the scale maybe you're a bit short on room.

One thing I do see though is a 30" door by the stairs, that's likely going to be a pain getting furniture & mechanical stuff down into the basement. Might be worth widening it a hair to save yourself some grief.
    Are these functional hidden rooms like a lounge or bar or is it just for storage? We have a very small room in our place with a hidden door but it's just a bare concrete floor where we store Xmas trees and camping gear.