Quantcast
Making small outdoor handrail - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Making small outdoor handrail

My Ride
    G37X

Default Making small outdoor handrail

Hey all, looking for a little bit of advice. I'm looking at putting in a small handrailing for my grandmother to help her get up her front 2 steps of her house. These are the steps: http://imgur.com/a/R0p0c . She currently is grabbing onto the corner of the bricks, which is a bit of a reach as there is a tree in front of it. I'm looking to put in a simple railing/handle on the steps to make it a little easier for her. My current plan is to grab 2 pieces of 4x4 and anchor it to the existing porch with deck screws, then put a small 2x4 or something across them and screwed into the 4x4's. I was planning to attach the 4x4's with L brackets. Wondering if this is an OK plan, or an absolutely terrible plan? Hoping to get a second look at it from people who know this stuff better than I do.

Thanks

If you're handy with a hacksaw, we just put two sections of wrought iron and wood handrail outside at my uncle's place - free for the taking and in excellent condition. One section is for a set of stairs, the other for a flat area.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I'll offer to re weld the parts for free if you cut them to fit
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Your original plan sounds good too, but instead of L brackets, use something like this:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000674747.html

It'll be more sturdy.
    ---

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by speedog
    If you're handy with a hacksaw, we just put two sections of wrought iron and wood handrail outside at my uncle's place - free for the taking and in excellent condition. One section is for a set of stairs, the other for a flat area.
    Thanks for the offer. Is it something that'd make sense for just the 2 steps? Definitely don't need anything too crazy just something to give her something to make sure she stays balanced going up and down. I'm sure it'd look nicer than what I'd be building though.

Originally posted by legendboy
    I'll offer to re weld the parts for free if you cut them to fit
    Super kind, thanks. I've got access to a welder at work so won't need it though.

Originally posted by kenny
    Your original plan sounds good too, but instead of L brackets, use something like this:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...000674747.html

It'll be more sturdy.
    Definitely looks better and should be more secure than L brackets, thanks.

Originally posted by relyt92
    Thanks for the offer. Is it something that'd make sense for just the 2 steps? Definitely don't need anything too crazy just something to give her something to make sure she stays balanced going up and down. I'm sure it'd look nicer than what I'd be building though.
    That's your call to make, not mine. What you're making needs to be sturdy at best, how good it looks is all up to you.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'd pop off a couple boards, attach 4x4s to the joust and the step riser with lag bolts, cut deck boards to refit, then 2x4 horizontally on top of 4x4s, and in between about halfway down and some 2x2s or similar vertically between the 2x4s