Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Author
Thread
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

What I drive: changes every year
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Originally posted by Hero_X
Hey guys,

Has anyone looked at their EI t4 slip, for 2016 ??

I have a box on it that says "30% repayment".....

Not sure how this works. The slip also writes:

"Fill in this chart if the rate in box 7 is 30% and, on your return, the total of
lines 213 and 234 plus the amount of registered disability savings plan
(RDSP) income repayment included on line 232, minus the total of lines 117
and 125 is more than $63,500."

I don't understand what this means.. Can anyone explain?

if your net pay was 64xxx then you have yo pay back 30% of your EI income.

so if you got 10k from EI last year and you made 65k net, you have to pay back 3k to EI.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2017 03:53 PM
03ozwhip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

argent

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Believe this is EI clawback provision that ask you to pay back 30% of your EI benefits received from the previous year on the amount that is ABOVE certain threshold.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

if your net pay was 64xxx then you have yo pay back 30% of your EI income.

so if you got 10k from EI last year and you made 65k net, you have to pay back 3k to EI.

Old Post 02-28-2017 04:15 PM
argent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for argent Click here to Send argent a Private Message Find more posts by argent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hero_X
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

oh okay

yeah no i made no where near 60k

so i should be good.

whew.. thanks guys

Old Post 02-28-2017 08:35 PM
Hero_X is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Hero_X Click here to Send Hero_X a Private Message Find more posts by Hero_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

so I'm pretty late doing my taxes this year, but fucks sakes, looks like even though EI was my only income in 2016, they didn't do sufficient source deduction and I'll be owing a few grand to them. That's crazy annoying.

I'm going to double check my tax return, but this isn't great news.

Old Post 04-23-2017 03:40 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Yeah, it looks correct. Extremely annoying that the largest ever lump sump tax payment of my life will come after a year of living off EI and other government money exclusively. Maybe I should have been contirbuting to my RRSP??

Anyone else who was on EI for the full 2016 tax year have this issue? I probbaly should have been paying more attention to this, but have had other things on my mind, like making some fucking money.

Old Post 04-23-2017 03:09 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
01RedDX
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

Fucking sucks, it's happened to me so many times, because spousal income, carryover, audit, unreported change of status, blah blah.

But it's even more ridiculous that they would do this to someone whose only reported income for the year is EI. I would dispute it.

Old Post 04-23-2017 05:06 PM
01RedDX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 01RedDX Click here to Send 01RedDX a Private Message Find more posts by 01RedDX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Well, there isn't a dispute to be had really. A full year of the max EI benefit puts you well above the personal exemptions both provincially and federally, so you have a significant portion of that EI benefit that is subject to 15% federal and 10% provincial tax.

I guess I should have either been paying more attention to this, or maybe just cramming money into my RRSP like I used to do when I was getting paid full time.

Old Post 04-23-2017 06:09 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Hmm, my ufile isn't taking into account my childcare expenses the way I think it should be. Maybe this will be getting better.

Right now, it seems to be totally disregarding all ym childcare expenses, which doesn't seem right.

Old Post 04-24-2017 03:03 AM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Hmm, my ufile isn't taking into account my childcare expenses the way I think it should be. Maybe this will be getting better.

Right now, it seems to be totally disregarding all ym childcare expenses, which doesn't seem right.

Huh, turns out you can't claim childcare expenses against EI income. Who knew?

I'll be attempting to have CRA recognize me as requiring childcare for my self employment, but I suspect that doesn't help since I had no self employment income.

This sucks.

Old Post 04-25-2017 10:00 PM
The time now is 06:27 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: