Quantcast
Seriously? Southwest ring road not a good investment, say Calgary councillors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously? Southwest ring road not a good investment, say Calgary councillors

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Seriously? Southwest ring road not a good investment, say Calgary councillors

Blah blah, lets build the LRT instead of finishing the ring road that has been in the works for decades

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lors-1.2643060

Lets look again at that 1/4billion$ library

[Several Calgary city councillors are starting to question whether the southwest ring road should be built.

Couns. Druh Farrell, Gian-Carlo Carra, Brian Pincott and Evan Wooley voiced their qualms Wednesday at a city committee meeting, suggesting the $5 billion cost of completing Calgary's ring road is too high and that the provincial money would be better used on other priorities.

"It's not built yet, the money's not spent yet and I think we need to challenge our assumptions," said Farrell, who represents Ward 7. "We've progressed as a city and made some significant changes in policy and this doesn't fit, it really doesn't."

2 possible north-central LRT routes nixed by council committee
    S.W. ring road traffic concerns raised by council members
    S.W. ring road deal approval 'historic,' says Tsuu T'ina chief

The councillors say a north-southeast LRT line across the city would be a better use of the money.

Farrell says the ring road would only encourage more growth and would also force the city to pay $133 million to connect roads in the area.

This is the second time this week that Calgary councillors have expressed concern over potential effects of the southwest ring road.

Councillors introduced a motion on Monday to study the effect the road would have on nearby residential communities.

Their concern is that commuters will come off the southwest section of the ring road and look for shortcuts through established neighbourhoods, particularly since the new route comes relatively close to the city's core.

"Perhaps people in Tuscany will be accessing the core via Bow Trail. Perhaps people from Braeside will be coming up from the south and going down Richmond Road or 17th Avenue," said Pootmans. "It's those types of traffic flows that are going to impact a lot of existing communities."

However, other councillors said Wednesday morning the long-proposed road is definitely needed to help Calgarians get around and avoid congested city roads.

City officials say without it, other upgrades to roads like Sarcee Trail, 14th Street and Crowchild Trail would be needed.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I swear they say this crap just to get their name in the paper.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    ED-7

Anything Druh Farrell says is shit coming out her mouth.

She's gotta be smoking the same shit as Rob Ford, except that Rob Ford is actually likeable.

I think she's living in an alternate reality where Calgary is a small rural town and she's trying to push bullshit to preserve that reality.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I understand the other 3 but Pincott (Ward 11) against SW ring road? WTF?

Holy fawk - maybe some of these councillors should sit in grid lock on that side of town. Man, when I've got to get from the deep southwest (Spruce Meadows) up to Airdrie - it's the ring road I take, not Macleod or Deerfoot. Any traveller coming up from southern or southeast Alberta is going to take that SW ring road to get to Banff or B.C..

And all of these councillors got to be bloody idiots if they didn't even have half a clue that the city was going to incur some costs because of this SW ring road - shit, there's probably more dumb gophers out there that are more clued into this stuff.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

just idiots...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They don't have a say in it. It's provincial, and once the land transfer deal goes through, they have 7 years to complete it, otherwise there will be penalties paid to the reserve. City council is whining that they have to pay $133m in improvements to anticipate traffic from the ring road.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    They don't have a say in it. It's provincial, and once the land transfer deal goes through, they have 7 years to complete it, otherwise there will be penalties paid to the reserve. City council is whining that they have to pay $133m in improvements to anticipate traffic from the ring road.
    $133 million is a small price to pay in my opinion if traffic on inner city highways is greatly improved. Maybe just not spend millions on ugly artwork

I think the city should look into toll highways.. can't imagine it being that expensive to set-up an automatic camera that recognizes plates and sends monthly bills etc to registered owners.... No toll booths required. They did this on a new bridge in Maple Ridge in BC... Golden Ears Bridge or something....

I'm sure people whose lives are made much easier by the ring road and actually use it wouldn't mind paying the $0.50 to $1 per use or a monthly fee etc...

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Yea couldn't believe when I heard this on the news today. This shit is looong over due and it'll only set the city back the longer it's delayed.

Now if they decided to spend the money on that huge Crowchild upgrade then I would be ok with that.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I don't mind. It will keep my property value up as there won't be any noise from the traffic. haha

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

you know, if they turned stoney into a toll road, I would be ok with that, as long as they modeled it after the coquihalla back in the day, where they collected tolls for as long as it took to recoup the costs of building the road.

Having said that, there are a lot of entrances and exits on stoney, so that means there are a lot of collection points that need to be staffed or expensive toll collection systems to set up.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Stoney is provincial. Even if there are tolls, it won't benefit us directly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Typical Calgary BS, province inks the deal and now council bitch about having to make needed road improvements (even based on current demand). I guess they will need more property tax money to keep up with demand.
    I swear it wont be long before the city will end up constructing toll roads at every possible junction to pay and milk Calgarians more than they currently are.

I just can't believe how busy that part of the SW/SE is, i don't go that way much after we moved from there so it was quite the surprise this last weekend.

Originally posted by black13
    Yea couldn't believe when I heard this on the news today. This shit is looong over due and it'll only set the city back the longer it's delayed.

Now if they decided to spend the money on that huge Crowchild upgrade then I would be ok with that.
    They could do the Crowchild upgrade, SE LRT, North LRT and put the Red Line underground downtown for the cost of the SW ring road.

But yeah, these councillors are idiots for even thinking that money would be better spent on anything else.

I don't know why but their concern about people looking for shortcuts across neighborhoods just smacks of elitism.

It almost seems like a lot of very rich and influential people living in Springbank and surrounding areas suddenly realized "Shit, we are going to get a bunch of new lowly commuters of god knows which part of the city, riding around our hood and messing up our beautiful sparse roads that hardly anyone uses since no one comes up here unless they live here. Why, we can't have that! Let's see if we can make a few phone calls!"

I think this is just an attempt to make sure they get the maximum leverage possible to reduce these "shortcuts". I doubt the councillors are under any illusion that they can stop this.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Shit, I just realized this ring road is going to result in getting hordes of new lowly commuters from god knows which part of the city driving around our neighborhood and screwing up our pristine road network that is currently only utilized by local residents. We can't have that... I need to some some phone calls.

Hello Nenshi? Yes, this is Sugarphreak again...
    *click*
    Hello?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Fuck that. Whoever says anything against the ring road in city council needs to be fired immediately.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Shit, I just realized this ring road is going to result in getting hordes of new lowly commuters from god knows which part of the city driving around our neighborhood and screwing up our pristine road network that is currently only utilized by local residents. We can't have that... I need to some some phone calls.

Hello Nenshi? Yes, this is Sugarphreak again...
    *click*
    Hello?

Anything that messes with my Bow Trail morning commute when I drive in the winter is a big no in my books. If you don't live north of glenmore trail, south of 16 ave nw and west of sarcee, stay the fuck off my bow trail. (West Calgary FTW).

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Druh hates all things car, shouldn't surprise anyone.

"We've progressed as a city and made some significant changes in policy and this doesn't fit, it really doesn't
    Delusional, nutty bitch
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast