Quantcast
DIY Home Automation with Apple Homekit - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Home Automation with Apple Homekit

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Software update won't work for the MyQ. It'll be like Philips Hue upgrade, new hub that includes the Homekit encryption hardware.

I've been holding out on all the locks as well, as they're all BT which limits functionality with Homekit. You have to be within range to trigger actions, and you can't schedule triggers with BT devices.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Locks is a big one that I want to do. Basically all i want is comfort access for my house like my car so i never have to touch my keys again

I would like to do MyQ as I'm partially retarded and leave my garage open a couple times a year.

No wifi in my garage though and unfortunately none of the of myq hubs have an Ethernet port ( so i could power line it from the house. ). Seems like a waste to put an AP in my garage just for a door opener lol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The Schlage Sense can communicate with Apple TV so if you have it you can operate the lock from anywhere. Otherwise you'll have to be close enough.

Looks like a lot of people are holding off on getting the MyQ as well and Chamberlain won't say anything on release date lol. It would be nice to be able to ask Siri to open the garage door.

Hunter has two ceiling fans that are Homekit ready. No more fumbling for remote in the dark.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by killramos
    No wifi in my garage though and unfortunately none of the of myq hubs have an Ethernet port ( so i could power line it from the house. ). Seems like a waste to put an AP in my garage just for a door opener lol.
    You don't need to do all that. The wifi hub sites in your house, and the garage opener can talk to the wifi hub up to 100-150ft. So just mount the hub inside the house where there's wifi.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I'm confused, with the kits it comes with 2 pieces that the instructions say go near the opener?

There is the big puck ( hub ) which talks to opener and connects to wifi. Then smaller puck which is the door sensor?

Can the big puck really be in my house across the yard and still work?

This is what I am talking about: http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphon...odel-myq-g0201

This is what i am most familiar with when people reference MyQ.

Also what is the difference between that and this: http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphon...nnectivity-kit

Which i think includes Ethernet connectivity ( which i can easily add with a powerline kit to my garage) ?

I looked on the weekend and my current dumb opener is a chamberlain liftmaster so because of that I should be able to use the ( cheaper ) second kit to enable MyQ functionality?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The smaller MyQ garage is the one I'm talking about. It's just like another remote that you'll have to pair with your garage door opener. The door sensor just detects the position of the garage door. You can communicate with your MyQ through your wifi network. The MyQ sends a signal to your garage door opener when it gets a command and it can tell you the door position. It just doesn't work with Homekit at the moment. That's how I understand it anyway.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Doing some more reading it seems like the second link i posted ( MyQ Internet Connectivity Kit ) does exactly the same thing as the MyQ Garage Hub. But only works with their products. Bonus is that it uses Ethernet connectivity rather than WiFi which is better for me anyways.

Little more difficult to install, need to replace the garage door opener controller on the wall with a new "smart" Security+ controller ( 2 cables lol ) and then plug the internet connectivity thing into power and Ethernet somewhere nearby. It also has the ability to turn the opener light on and off automatically with motion sensing ( and the rest of the lights in the garage with an additional kit ) which is pretty convenient.

The hub based kit is less integrated, and just sends signals to the opener, whereas this kit is converting my existing system into a smart system. Using the liftmaster's own sensors and hardware to send the signals. But the Hub has the plus of being stupid easy to use and compatible with damn near any opener ever instead of just their own products.

Am I reading into this wrong?

fact.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Just wait for the Homekit ready version. It's not as cool if I can't ask my phone to do it for me, like I have to push a button on my phone, screw that lol.

I'm confused, with the kits it comes with 2 pieces that the instructions say go near the opener?

There is the big puck ( hub ) which talks to opener and connects to wifi. Then smaller puck which is the door sensor?

This is what I am talking about: http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphon...odel-myq-g0201
    I have this one.
    The hub goes on the garage ceiling and needs to be within wifi-range. The door sensor has to be in line of sight of the hub for it to sense if it's closed or open. So no, the hub cannot be in your house.

You can add lamp switches using the MyQ hub also... not sure if you can do that with the $119 one.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Lamp switches work with both from what i can see ( internet gateway is the second one i was talking about) I think functionality is the same.

Unfortunate that it only works on lamps, what i would like is to replace my light switches in garage for exterior alley, interior ceiling, and exterior yard with MyQ controlled ( ie turned on whenever i use the garage ), then turn off 2 minutes later or something. Who has lamps in their garage lol.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Got all my shades installed. Finally able to block out that fucking sun from 14 windows lol.

My Ride
    Skateboard

That is cool as shit. Good job!

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Now you need to replace those blinds with *bulletproof* shutters.... you know.... for the apocalypse and all.

edit *bulletproof*
    Last edited by TYMSMNY; 04-29-2016 at 01:20 PM.

I would like to do MyQ as I'm partially retarded and leave my garage open a couple times a year.

This is what i am most familiar with when people reference MyQ.

Also what is the difference between that and this: http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphon...nnectivity-kit

Which i think includes Ethernet connectivity ( which i can easily add with a powerline kit to my garage) ?

I looked on the weekend and my current dumb opener is a chamberlain liftmaster so because of that I should be able to use the ( cheaper ) second kit to enable MyQ functionality?

Doing some more reading it seems like the second link i posted ( MyQ Internet Connectivity Kit ) does exactly the same thing as the MyQ Garage Hub. But only works with their products. Bonus is that it uses Ethernet connectivity rather than WiFi which is better for me anyways.

Little more difficult to install, need to replace the garage door opener controller on the wall with a new "smart" Security+ controller ( 2 cables lol ) and then plug the internet connectivity thing into power and Ethernet somewhere nearby. It also has the ability to turn the opener light on and off automatically with motion sensing ( and the rest of the lights in the garage with an additional kit ) which is pretty convenient.

The hub based kit is less integrated, and just sends signals to the opener, whereas this kit is converting my existing system into a smart system. Using the liftmaster's own sensors and hardware to send the signals. But the Hub has the plus of being stupid easy to use and compatible with damn near any opener ever instead of just their own products.

Am I reading into this wrong?
    You seem to be really over complicating this. I'm not sure if you mentioned this or if I missed it but does your current opener show the MyQ logo on it?

If so go buy this:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000663928.html

You don't need ethernet/wifi in the garage for this to work.

On Schlage sale today: https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE469N...5245866&sr=1-2

I'm on the fence. Life was cheaper when I didn't know things like this existed.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

thats good deal

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Anyone has problem with their homekit accessories with IOS10?

After updating the firmware and the Schlage Sense app, I can't communicate with my lock remotely now. It works fine still via Bluetooth obviously. May be I have to reinstall the app again

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

They got rid of Apple TV 3 compatibility for remote access in iOS 10. You now need an Apple TV 4.

edit - ATV3 still supported, but with limited features.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah that's what I have.

The lock is shown in the home app. Something glitchy is going on. I'll try resetting it from scratch.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Lemme know. I just picked one up today too, and hoping that my ATV4 (in basement) is close enough in range to make it work remotely. My ATV3 is showing as disabled in the Homekit settings.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast