Quantcast
Home builder vs nenshi goes another round - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Home builder vs nenshi goes another round

Originally posted by roopi

So to avoid getting sued I would say 'In my opinion Cal Wenzel is an idiot'? Or am I not understanding this correctly?
    Originally posted by FraserB

If this was the case, Beyond would have been shut down 7 or 8 lawsuits ago lol. Even one of the lawyers who wrote a letter to Rage got put through the wringer over shitty spelling and grammar.
    Originally posted by Khyron

I believe Cal Wenzel was responsible for 9/11. I've never met him, but how he writes just strikes me as shady. I also think it's possible he killed a hooker.

You can't sue me for having an opinion.
    Originally posted by GoChris
    Cal Wenzel seems like a shady business person from what I've seen of him on the moving picture box.
    Originally posted by luxor
    I think Cal Wenzel is an idiot loser. Don't sue me please, I'm just a nobody with an opinion.
    I see the point you're all trying to make, but there is a significant difference from randoms on the internet typing this vs a mayor of a city. The word of mouth from a mayor carries a lot more weight than random postings and could very well tarnish his reputation and business. He could simply provide statistics of a dip in business after Nenshi's accusations that Wenzel MAY have broken election laws.

Should be interesting to see how this unfolds, I honestly dont think anything will happen but Nenshi's twitter has been remarkably quiet about it(likely cause his legal council told him to probably put down his fucking phone and don't act like a 13 yr old girl about this)
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    He could simply provide statistics of a dip in business after Nenshi's accusations that Wenzel MAY have broken election laws.

And that would still be entirely irrelevant. Proving correlation is something that would be tough, further proving causation is difficult if not even impossible here.

Originally posted by 403Gemini I see the point you're all trying to make, but there is a significant difference from randoms on the internet typing this vs a mayor of a city.
    I'm not sure that this would be dealt with any differently legally. Pretty sure the definition of slander would stay the same.
    Last edited by gatorade; 11-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-29-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by Cos

Did you get one of them damn fangled ones that have music coming out of them too? Scared the bejesus out of Aunt Alice on Sunday dinner.
    Ya but the scariest part is, there's no knobs on it to turn. I pressed some squishy thing on another tiny box and it made it do stuff and it wasn't even connected to it or near it!

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by GoChris

Ya but the scariest part is, there's no knobs on it to turn. I pressed some squishy thing on another tiny box and it made it do stuff and it wasn't even connected to it or near it!
    MY TARNATIONS! THEM THERE WITCHCRAFT!!!1!!1!one
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Last edited by Cos; 12-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I think a lot of it hinges on that David Grey interview, Nenshi is well spoken when is he prepared... but when he gets emotional he doesn't do so well.

I just don't think Wenzel is suing him without some reasonable evidence... then again the amount is also absurd, this isn't the US.
    Six million works out to 12 houses? Maybe less?

Or he could just be doing this to get back at Nenshi, since the city is not being sued I assume that Nenshi is on the hook to pay for his own lawyer fees?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Or he could just be doing this to get back at Nenshi, since the city is not being sued I assume that Nenshi is on the hook to pay for his own lawyer fees?
    Hm... interesting, I wonder if maybe he is trying to get Nenshi to expense this on his expense reports, and then go back and be like wtf?! These aren't legit expenses for the city, why is the city paying these expenses?! And then the real shit show will start.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by triplep

Hm... interesting, I wonder if maybe he is trying to get Nenshi to expense this on his expense reports, and then go back and be like wtf?! These aren't legit expenses for the city, why is the city paying these expenses?! And then the real shit show will start.
    I think that is Wenzel's plan all along. Stir shit up. City doesn't seems to have a firm policy if they will pick up the tab on these cases. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Either way, it's a turd sandwich for Nenshi.

I think city will probably pay for the legal fee and Nenshi will be on the hook on the damage if he loses.

My Ride
    G6

Not sure why the city wouldn't pick up the legal fees. As Mayor, Nenshi is always "on the job." When an employee gets sued for something on the job, it's the company that is actually getting sued.

Honestly, I had no issue with this until I read Wenzel wants to donate any winnings to charity? In my opinion, this is just wasting everybody's time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Feruk
    Honestly, I had no issue with this until I read Wenzel wants to donate any winnings to charity? In my opinion, this is just wasting everybody's time.
    I can't see how Wenzel can pocket that money without making him seems like a bigger asshole than he already is. And it already said the suit can't go forward without damages specified. Charity is the only way to go.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I think a lot of it hinges on that David Grey interview, Nenshi is well spoken when is he prepared... but when he gets emotional he doesn't do so well.

I just don't think Wenzel is suing him without some reasonable evidence... then again the amount is also absurd, this isn't the US.
    I didn't know about the CBC Interview. You summed it up Nenshi's style quite nicely.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ents-1.2428488

Judging from the comments, I'd say Nenshi might get in trouble here when accusing Wenzel of breaking the law, and encouraging others to break the law. The Godfather comment is fairly irrelevant.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2

I didn't know about the CBC Interview. You summed it up Nenshi's style quite nicely.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ents-1.2428488

Judging from the comments, I'd say Nenshi might get in trouble here when accusing Wenzel of breaking the law, and encouraging others to break the law. The Godfather comment is fairly irrelevant.
    That's his position since the video was out in spring.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...says-1.1308214

http://globalnews.ca/news/504916/may...contributions/

Basically, Wenzel said on video that he had 13 trucks available to Kevin Taylor beyond the $5K donation. So while this isn't investigated or proven in court, Nenshi comment is based on Wenzel's statement in the video.

So Wenzel is either a liar or a law breaker. I guess he preferred to be a liar?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    your mom

Reading some of the comments on the CBC website are ridiculous. People blaming developers for building homes in a flood plain and blaming developers for making housing prices sky rocket. Really unfortunate that people really do lack the most basic understanding of economics.

1) houses built in the flood plain were put there before the majority of the current developers were even founded.
    2) cutting the supply of new homes INCREASES prices

I don't really know what would constitute defamation, libel, or slander in court for this situation, but I'm behind Wenzel. You put the squeeze on the developers and then make them, specifically Cal, look like the assholes who are the ones behind it all behind some sort of cartel? Some people are fucking retarded. And because Nenshi has a Facebook account, people buy this shit.

GL Wenzel. He is really a stand-up business man and like others have said has given millions and millions to the Calgary community. What has Nenshi really done other than a couple funny tweets and raise property taxes?

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

Six million works out to 12 houses? Maybe less?

12 houses = 6 million... maybe in revenue?

Because we all know that building houses is free?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by busdepot
    I don't really know what would constitute defamation, libel, or slander in court for this situation, but I'm behind Wenzel. You put the squeeze on the developers and then make them, specifically Cal, look like the assholes who are the ones behind it all behind some sort of cartel? Some people are fucking retarded. And because Nenshi has a Facebook account, people buy this shit.
    The densification and removal of subsidies will hurt builders like Shane Homes. There is no doubt about that.

Shane Home and the likes are in no position to build 15-20 stories high rise apartments. These are much riskier ventures due to higher capitals needed to get these project started. That's why they want urban sprawl to continue.

Again, the one that make Wenzel look like an asshole was himself and the guy who filmed him. Everyone else is just commenting on the video.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-18-2013 at 11:42 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by busdepot

1) houses built in the flood plain were put there before the majority of the current developers were even founded.
    taking a look at cranston's valley in june would make me disagree with you

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Xtrema

The densification and removal of subsidies will hurt builders like Shane Homes. There is no doubt about that.

Shane Home and the likes are in no position to build 15-20 stories high rise apartments. These are much riskier ventures due to higher capitals needed to get these project started. That's why they want urban sprawl to continue.

Again, the one that make Wenzel look like an asshole was himself and the guy who filmed him. Everyone else is just commenting on the video.
    While I agree that Shane and some of the others are not in the business of building Condos, why should they?

I agree that Calgary's population is not dense at all when compared to a city like Montreal or Vancouver. But you can't just change that one day by chopping off development. Condo living is convenient downtown, not in the boonies. The advantage of living out of the core is you can buy a house. Look at a few other Alpha cities that do not have a geological barrier (London, Paris, Moscow, DC). They have a dense core where there's multi-family living and as you leave the core of the city, it turns into more houses. Tear down some old shitty houses in the belt line to put in condos, because that's where they should be, not in the residential areas in the outskirts.

I don't want to turn this into a debate about development, but if you're going to demonize the developers, you had better be ready to demonize the city too.

Originally posted by ercchry

taking a look at cranston's valley in june would make me disagree with you
    Agreed, this was a dumb play by Genstar. Even if that area wasn't affected this summer, there's no saying it won't be next time.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

Originally posted by Xtrema

What council says and what they do are two different things.

Oh look, another massive development!

http://www.calgary.ca/getinvolved/Pa...ture-Plan.aspx

Whenever you think that Nenshi agrees with curtailing outward development, think two things:

He lives in a house way, way, out in the NE.
    His council lifted the previous development freeze.

Shane Homes will not be "hurt". They'll be just fine.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast