Quantcast
A very important program you need to install right now. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A very important program you need to install right now.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Seth1968

So you cleaned them out. Any computer repair monkey can do that.

What have you done to appease the client with preventive measures? HINT: Unchecky FFS.
    um, as mentioned above - MB - because it really does help

Originally posted by The_Penguin

This! Today's truly bad malware walks right through the best most up to date AV programs.
    Thanks Penguin for helping to expose the truth on the matter.

Originally posted by revelations

um, as mentioned above - MB - because it really does help
    WTF Rev?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Completely impartial third party here, I have no use for any sort of the aforementioned programs, but Seth, it seems to me like you're really pushing this program for some reason. Are you selling it on a commission or something? Using it to get traffic to the site? Just seems that you're VERY invested in this specific program for some reason, that's all. There are many other programs that do the same thing, and if people choose to use them over this product for some reason, there's no need to get so upset?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i'll be looking at this, i am an IT professional, i got a PUPs on my personal machine a few weeks back (from doing shady things, i expected to get something but i have some good methods for cleaning it out so usually its no big deal) but this one was a PITA, i ran 4 different cleaners and none of them detected/cleaned it, i ended up having to run some adaware type program i'd never heard of before and reinstall chrome, which sucks because i keep a lot of tabs open and chrome doesn't restore them after a clean install. but it took me weeks to get rid of it, so if i can prevent it in the future, i'll give it a look at least.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Completely impartial third party here, I have no use for any sort of the aforementioned programs, but Seth, it seems to me like you're really pushing this program for some reason. Are you selling it on a commission or something? Using it to get traffic to the site? Just seems that you're VERY invested in this specific program for some reason, that's all. There are many other programs that do the same thing, and if people choose to use them over this product for some reason, there's no need to get so upset?
    I never expected such push back.

My only MO is to expose the shysters, and instigate the perusal of rational thought as opposed to emotional thought.

So whatever. I posted a program that is probably the most important program that the end user should use. Do as you will.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    [B]Completely impartial third party here, I have no use for any sort of the aforementioned programs, but Seth, it seems to me like you're really pushing this program for some reason. Are you selling it on a commission or something? Using it to get traffic to the site? Just seems that you're VERY invested in this specific program for some reason, that's all.]
    I have no affiliation with the product.

I just recently found about it, tested it, and that's it.

Just don't install shit, it should be as simple as that. 20+ years of computers at home, only one virus in that time on all of the computers we've owned. No pups because all in the house have been educated on such. My MIL on the other hand, ugh.
    Will fuck off, again.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by speedog
    Just don't install shit, it should be as simple as that. 20+ years of computers at home, only one virus in that time on all of the computers we've owned. No pups because all in the house have been educated on such. My MIL on the other hand, ugh.
    thats exactly what Seth is saying, computer savvy people may not need it but you should deploy it for your MIL
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Never had this problem on my macs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Seth1968

Well considering end user stuff is everything, then what the hell are you babbling about?
    Perhaps in your world, but the "industry" is much bigger then you sitting in a computer store repairing computers, I'm sorry. Perhaps you have heard of SANs, Networking, Servers..

Anyways, there is no arguing with you, you just get all defensive and have a sissy fit. It's your way or it's wrong. You make it sound like you are the final word in IT security...

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Originally posted by Thaco
    thats exactly what Seth is saying, computer savvy people may not need it but you should deploy it for your MIL
    Yes.

Thanks.

What's a PUP... if I uncheck the box do I get it or don't get it?

I don't see the box, now I want it...

My Ride
    Model S

I'm concerned that there is no obvious disclosure about how the company behind unchecky is making their money. It's free, and it is owned by a for profit company. In my experience, this usually means that the user (or their information) is the product. Which would be ironic in this case, since unchecky itself would be spyware. If it sends any information about what I do with my computer back to them, I consider that spyware.

I assume you have looked into this and they have a good answer. If so, can you explain?

Edit: Found the privacy policy.

"Data accessed and/or collected by Unchecky in the course of its operation may include the following data: (i) Technical information including without limitation, your IP Address, the software you are currently installing, hardware setup and Operating System; and (ii) Date and time of lunching and uninstalling Unckecky."

"We may share your Personal Information with third party service providers to the extent that it is reasonably necessary to perform, improve, maintain or support Unchecky; these third party service providers’ services may include analytical services..."

"Please note that if we go through bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or any similar transaction, we may not be able to control how your information is treated, transferred, or used."
    So it looks like they're basically taking an inventory of everything I install and can build profiles on users. They also share that information, as necessary, to "improve the service" (of course, absolutely anything they do with it will ultimately be considered an "improvement" by them). And if they go out of business, the buyer can do whatever they want with all that info that has been collected.

No thanks!

My Ride
    Skateboard

I clicked it and installed like all links I see. Thanks it cleaned up my computer and is much faster now.

Originally posted by googe
    /snip/ No thanks!
    Lol. Nothing you do on the internet is private.

In regards to data collection, Unchecky doesn't do anything different than thousands of other free programs (or Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc) for that matter.

I suspect that in the future it will cost a small yearly amount, but so what? A few bucks a year is well worth such an invaluable program. For most end users it will significantly help keep their computer clean, and save money on servicing.

Originally posted by Thaco
    i'll be looking at this, i am an IT professional, i got a PUPs on my personal machine a few weeks back (from doing shady things, i expected to get something but i have some good methods for cleaning it out so usually its no big deal) but this one was a PITA, i ran 4 different cleaners and none of them detected/cleaned it, i ended up having to run some adaware type program i'd never heard of before and reinstall chrome, which sucks because i keep a lot of tabs open and chrome doesn't restore them after a clean install. but it took me weeks to get rid of it, so if i can prevent it in the future, i'll give it a look at least.
    For browser exploits, a little known but very effective tool is a browser reset. The top 2 picks when it comes to scanners for browser exploits are ADWcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool.

For general PUPS and infections, Hitman Pro is far superior to MalwareBytes.

My Ride
    Bicycle

All software that claim to help or clean up..... over time.....

Originally posted by killramos
    Never had this problem on my macs.
    You're vulnerable on either platform if you blindly check boxes and agree to everything. Most people do not have these issues at all - but I can see how it could be useful for some people without any computer experience (regardless of OS) if you don't mind the fact that it collects data.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast