Quantcast
OHV helmet law comes into effect May 15, 2017 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OHV helmet law comes into effect May 15, 2017

Originally posted by Dave P
    Couldn't imagine riding without a helmet. No Issues with new law.

However, David Swann, needs to chill the fuck out with the government needs to go further.

Those steps would kill the hobby all together, especially for families
    If you look at the statistics for fatalities there's a disproportionate amount in the under 16 age range. Clearly parents are not doing their job and they are getting their kids killed. It's something like 25%-35%(depending which stats you pull) of ATV fatalities involve kids under 16. That seems to me to be an indication there is a problem here...

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Gestalt

You do not understand US healthcare spending, mandatory health insurance, medicaid, or anything else.

You didnt explain anything to me. You jsut jsutified nannystate busybody excuses of why they have a right to poke their nose in others business.
    It's rich for you to say I do not understand something, when you show repeatedly over a wide range of topics that you are woefully under informed and easily mislead.

Originally posted by Stuart

It's rich for you to say I do not understand something, when you show repeatedly over a wide range of topics that you are woefully under informed and easily mislead.
    Well you got to remember he's the genius who apparently doesn't know how to use bimg tags or that you can't constantly post one message after another. Not the sharpest tool in the shed

I think that most humans in Canada have advanced a bit and are able to recognize that wearing a helmet is not necessarily a bad thing whether it be on a motorbike, bicycle, skiing/boarding or while out on an OHV..

Have I participated in any of the aforementioned activities without a helmet? Sure I have but it would've been 30+ years ago that I opted to start wearing helmets all the time. He'll, smoking at one's desk in the workplace used to be a thing and we'very moved well beyond that.

Yes some might feel like it's their rights being trampled on once again but you know, there are places one can move to/visit if they wish to perform an activity with certain restrictions not being applicable.

Cars used to be way deadlier too, not sure if I'd want to roll back to the sixties where a door popping open wasn't uncommon if not worse. We have advanced and I would like to think it has been a benefit to the society we live in. Modern safety devices we all take for granted now would've easily saved the lives of my two best friends back in 1980.
    Last edited by speedog; 05-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I was ready to lose my mind about having to wear a cold plastic and styrofoam helmet instead of my warm insulated hunting hat at -20 when slowly puttering around during hunting season in my fully enclosed side-by-side.

I decided to look up the regs, and thankfully it looks like there is a shred of common sense in there.

https://www.transportation.alberta.c...elmets-FAQ.pdf

[QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Nanny State Big Government
    [B]

4. When do I have to wear a helmet?
    Helmets would be required for anyone driving, operating, riding in or on, or being towed by, an OHV
    on public land. You are not required to wear a helmet when using an OHV:
    • on your own property,
    • on private property with permission of the owner,
    • on First Nations Reserve or Metis Settlement lands, unless they have a law requiring it;
    • that has safe, manufacturer installed rollover protective structures and seat belts, which have
    not been modified and are being properly worn;

• that meets the standards for a motor vehicle designed for use on a roadway, has seat belt
    assemblies maintained in compliance with the Vehicle Equipment Regulation, and that
    person is wearing a seat belt (e.g. unmodified 4x4 trucks, sport utility vehicles, and jeeps);
    • if you are a bona fide member of the Sikh religion who wears a turban;
    • during the performance of farming or ranching operations exempt from Alberta’s occupational
    health and safety laws;
    • during the performance of work where Alberta’s occupational health and safety laws have
    exempted OHV helmet use; and
    • if you have documentation from Alberta Transportation indicating you are exempt and are
    complying with the terms and conditions of that exemption.
    OHV helmet use is recommended for all OHV users, even if they are exempt.
    I'm still against big government mandating my personal risk tolerance, but glad this isn't going to put a damper on my hunting season.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    It's something like 25%-35%(depending which stats you pull) of ATV fatalities involve kids under 16. That seems to me to be an indication there is a problem here...
    I know one kid under 16 who died on one 2 years ago and another who barely survived this spring (they all said it was a fucking miracle he pulled through).

With both were/are seasoned riders already having grown up using them for years. I think the problem is, if things get a bit out of shape unexpectedly, they just don't possess the physical strength at that age to compensate so a minor thing becomes a major one.

That being said, my cousin's husband is in Intensive Care with some really major head/brain trauma after an incident in a side by side this past weekend. I'm assuming no helmet. I didn't ask but, with that level of head trauma on top of the broken collarbone, ribs, collapsed lungs, etc. it probably goes without saying.

EDIT - I'm still totally opposed to nanny state fuckery.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 05-02-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by speedog
    I think that most humans in Canada have advanced a bit and are able to recognize that wearing a helmet is not necessarily a bad thing whether it be on a motorbike, bicycle, skiing/boarding or while out on an OHV..
    I think you'd be advanced enough to realize that OHV use covers a wide spectrum of activities with a huge range of risk levels, and that blanket laws written by people who don't understand the use cases usually don't work well.

Want to mandate kids wear a helmet? Fine, they're not legally old enough to make many decisions on their own. I have trouble though with government mandating what grown men and women wear out in the bush.

Yes some might feel like it's their rights being trampled on once again but you know, there are places one can move to/visit if they wish to perform an activity with certain restrictions not being applicable.
    "If you don't like it, move" is a shitty argument in response to new legislation and you know it. I'm surprised at you for taking that stance. Most Albertans were here long before the nanny state and will still be here after they're voted back out. Voicing opposition to legislation without being told "If you don't like it, move" is one of the cornerstones of a free society.

I went downhill skiing for the first time in 30 years this past winter and opted to wear a helmet. Never did 30 years back and I was concerned about how warm my noggin might be while on a lift or skiing on a day when temperatures were near -20C. To my surprise, my noggin never once felt cold - maybe a helmet's construction has a lot to do with it's warmth.
    Will fuck off, again.

This legislation would've most likely come to pass regardless of the ruling party in Alberta. I've seen first hand a helmet save my brother's life in a motorcycle accident - no helmet would've meant me scraping his face off of the pavement instead of no facial/head injuries at all.

I get that some feel it's their right to do as they please, it's kind of like seat belts - I wasn't a religious seatbelt wearer for many years until an incident on Centre Street Norh about 32 years ago where I had to do some emergency braking to avoid hitting a kid who ran out between parked cars after a ball. Yeah, it sounds quite cliche but I happened to be belted that day and my girlfriend at the time wasn't and she hit the dash of my El Camino so fast and so hard that it was actually a bit unbelievable. She was a bit stunned and shook up but it taught us both a lesson that we never forgot.

And yeah I know the move somewhere else statement was weak but so are the arguments people use against legislation like this. Do we want to go back to two lane highways with steep ditches in cars that had fabulous tungsten headlights? Back to smoking in the workplace? Back to cleaning one's hands with trichlorethylene? Back to so many things that we now consider unsafe but didn't way back when? I hope not.
    Will fuck off, again.

Have I participated in any of the aforementioned activities without a helmet? Sure I have but it would've been 30+ years ago that I opted to start wearing helmets all the time. He'll, smoking at one's desk in the workplace used to be a thing and we'very moved well beyond that.

Cars used to be way deadlier too, not sure if I'd want to roll back to the sixties where a door popping open wasn't uncommon if not worse. We have advanced and I would like to think it has been a benefit to the society we live in. Modern safety devices we all take for granted now would've easily saved the lives of my two best friends back in 1980.
    Most humans understand it's risky leaving your house.

You have no right to force me to a bubble when I do.

Most humans understand it's risky leaving your house.

You have no right to force me to a bubble when I do.
    So do you wear seat belts? Have you disabled the airbags in your vehicles? Removed the seatbelts? Don't use car seats for your baby if you have one? Just curious.

I went downhill skiing for the first time in 30 years this past winter and opted to wear a helmet. Never did 30 years back and I was concerned about how warm my noggin might be while on a lift or skiing on a day when temperatures were near -20C. To my surprise, my noggin never once felt cold - maybe a helmet's construction has a lot to do with it's warmth.
    Yea I have to laugh when the older generation talks about how "pussified" the young generation is with all their "useless" protective gear.

when the older generations were young bikes were shit. You couldn't build enough speed down a hairy rooted run with drops taller than you to hurt yourself, in fact you couldn't even go down them in the first place.

ski/snowboard parks were non existent and "jumps" were little wussy lips kids built into a slope not 10 ft kickers with 20ft gaps that 10 year olds are doing now.

Pretty much every sport has progressed 10 fold from 20-30 years ago. Limits are getting pushed further and further and the young generation are doing things that only professionals of yesteryear attempted.

Pretty much everyone of the older generation I've ever heard say "I don't wear a helmet skiing/snowboarding" is a shit rider, every pedal biker I've heard that says helmets are lame is always some pedestrian hippy, not someone into serious riding....
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-02-2017 at 10:39 PM.

So do you wear seat belts? Have you disabled the airbags in your vehicles? Removed the seatbelts? Don't use car seats for your baby if you have one? Just curious.
    Now you are getting silly

How is any of that the same as fucking up your hair wearing a sweaty, uncomfortable, vision limiting helmet for hours.

Look, I am not saying you are not allowed to wear a helmet, or that you cant get in your buble to leave the house.

I am saying I do not appreciate nanny busy boddies focing their cowardice on me.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 05-03-2017 at 10:51 AM.

How is any of that the same as fucking up your hair wearing a sweaty, uncomfortable, vision limiting helmet for hours.

Look, I am not saying you are not allowed to wear a helmet, or that you cant get in your buble to leave the house.

I am saying I do not appreciate nanny busy boddies focing their cowardice on me.
    Are you just trolling now?

You can't be serious....

Err meehh geerrd mah hurrr -Pauly D

You don't even ride man.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

You need a better helmet

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by btimbit
    You need a better helmet
    But not a mandatory one.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2