Quantcast
Home Vinters and Brewers Unite! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Home Vinters and Brewers Unite!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by legendboy
    i am pretty stoked about the ez caps. i really wanted to use them but they are about $2.70 each if buy from one of the local stores
    Yeah, those ez caps seem pretty sweet.

Not sure if I will go that route tho, but I am not sure. I am still an extreme newb when it comes to beer.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by desi112
    hey Spikers have you made anything similar to Coors light?
    Or anything similar to MGD?

If so what kits would you suggest.

hanks maing!
    Take real beer, then cut it with water.

My Ride
    4x4

Wine warehouse - over by u wrench has a smokin sale going this weekend 20% off wine kits

Gotta go get a kit or two PDQ burning through faster than I'm replacing lately

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I was wondering if anybody would let a newbie (me) watch while they brew / bottle their home made beer?

I have dug through many of the home brewing forums and read quite a few how-to guides but I am still left with no practical experience and it would be nice to at least observe the process and see what equipment people are using before I start buying stuff for my setup.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i would help you with it. I would just dive in though. grab a kit, and if you need a hand, let me know. I don't mind.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Zero102
    I was wondering if anybody would let a newbie (me) watch while they brew / bottle their home made beer?

I have dug through many of the home brewing forums and read quite a few how-to guides but I am still left with no practical experience and it would be nice to at least observe the process and see what equipment people are using before I start buying stuff for my setup.
    I'd head down to Grapes To Glass in Shawnessy, they have beer making kits that blow away the kit I bought at Bass Pro shops, or most other places. That and the kits they carry dont have restrictions to your ingredients, as you dont have to buy their brand of ingredients to make a great brew.
    I didn't know how to make beer either, so I just followed the instructions to an absolute "T" and it turned out very good not Premium beer, as in Stella or Heineken per se', but still very good.
    Same as everything else, just follow the recipe. Once you get very good at it then start experimenting.

If you want, I can sell you my Mr. Beer kit. It makes great beer if you want super easy steps, but Im trying to make bigger batches, so I've kind of out grown it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have been going to the grapes to glass up by deerfoot mall.

I picked up a coopers complete starter kit for $130 and it has not failed me yet.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Thats one of the ones i wanted to take a serious look at.
    Hows the beer quality & sterilization process?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ Thats one of the ones i wanted to take a serious look at.
    Hows the beer quality & sterilization process?
    Not bad at all, I am really digging the spigot and bottle filler that comes with the kit, makes bottle filling real easy. Also really likeing the screw on top. It really has a good feel to it.

Cleaning is a bit more involved than a regular fermentor, but nothing to bad. I just use the bleach (pink stuff) and sulphite solution on it, and it comes out clean every time.

Beer quality so far has been good, I am quite impressed with the whole process. it is 5 times easier to make beer with this kit, than it is to make wine from a kit.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Thanks for the advice so far.

What are things you guys would consider key features of a kit, and what would you expect the ideal starter's kit to cost if bought locally? (I know what lots of kits cost online but that may mean almost nothing)

I was planning to ask for all the bits for father's day this year and to start over the summer
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

what are you looking to do? beer or wine?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Beer

Sounds like a lot of people like the coopers kit that you suggested above. Sounds like it is worth checking out.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

yeah dude, if you want to try it out, I can lend you my fermentation vat for beer. All you will need is your brew concentrate, and some bottles. brew it at my place, that way I can show you how it is done.

If you like it, you go buy a kit, if you don't, I will buy your bottles.

But yeah, this coopers kit is pretty swank. seems to be about the best starter kit around, without taking out a loan.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Kritafo
    http://www.thehomevintner.com/

Has anyone else used these kits? The Redwood and Brown Ale with honey sound pretty good!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    4x4

Question, anyone seen good sources for concentrated apple juice?

Finally got those 10g of apples off the tree out back brewing... Cored, frozen, pureed, add 10L of water 4 sticks cinammon per the recipe... Barely a hint of apple now that fermentings done... Surprises me - but they were green apples; more sugar than apple taste I guess?

So thinking I should backsweeten with concentrated apple juice... Anyone know a good source?

Originally posted by msommers

Has anyone else used these kits? The Redwood and Brown Ale with honey sound pretty good!
    we are just going to use one of their kits and that is exactly the kit I want. Brown Ale with Honey Paul has been wine making for many many years and I trust that anything that he has is good.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Picked up 8 dozen groslch bottles for $40

Originally posted by Kritafo

we are just going to use one of their kits and that is exactly the kit I want. Brown Ale with Honey Paul has been wine making for many many years and I trust that anything that he has is good.

If you are talking about barons kits, they suck. i tried 1 and my buddy tried 3 and they all turned out tasting bad.

You likely have to mod those kits like crazy to get them to taste any good. I don't trust what Paul says at all.

If you want a good beer kit with no screwing around stick with Festa Brew. I have done 6 of them and they have all turned out very very good with about 6 weeks in bottle.

Brewhouse kits are ok, but not as good as the Festa Brew kits.

To any of you that think coopers/muntons/any extract kits are good, just do yourself a favour and make up a Festa kit. Guarantee you won't look back

you don't trust what Paul says? Really? Have you told him that the kit didn't come out like you expected?

Bump.

Whats everyone got going on nowdays?

I have a keezer system with kegs of Vanilla Cream Ale, Honey Ginger IPA, Orange Wit and Barons Dutch "Lager". On deck is a Brewhouse Munich Dark keg and in secondary I have an Irish Summer Ale conditioning.

Also have a batch of JAOM (Joe Ancient Orange Mead) that has been conditioning since November 2012.

Recently bottled the Argentinian Malbec Limited Wine Expert 2012 Kit. This turned out very nicely.

100% agree, Baron's kits are not worth the money. They often lack body and mouthfeel. I like Brewhouse when I am lazy, but much prefer doing my own partial extracts with a turkey fryer.

I get my materials from The Vineyard, or from various homebrew supply stores in the US and have them delievered to MT. Great group of guys at the Vineyard.

I find the guys at home vintner (with the exception of Craig in the NE) to be snooty and opinionated. They have the attitude that if it didnt come from them, it will suck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast