Quantcast
Best French fries served in calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best French fries served in calgary?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Where has thick-cut fries these days? Willy's used to have awesome ones with the skin still on, so damn good!

Example:

Ultracrepidarian

Naina's.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Gotch ya. Thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

Been a while since I've been there, but Chicken on the way used to have some pretty good hand-cut skin on fries. You can't let them sit in the cardboard box for too long or they get soggy though.

I've also always liked Swiss Chalet fries.

My Ride
    Silverado

The donair place in riverbend has awesome fries.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by jwslam
    Nobody has said Costco* / Ikea?
    Not sure what that "coating" on them is but I find it to be like crack.

*in before "you need a membership for Costco".
    No you don't. Just walk in from the exit side. The concession is open to all and cash only.

Costco's fries are Cavendish crispy coated fries. You can buy them as well for home consumption in the freezer isle.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by speedog

Most on-line reviews would appear to disagree with your opinion.
    Those reviews were most likely written by owners and staff. I challenge anyone to try it and disagree with me. Check Zomato/urbanspoon, many reviews agreeing with me.

The burger consisted of a giant bun with a paper thin beef patty that was dry as fuck. Topped with sheets of iceberg lettuce and smothered in the disgusting mayo sauce. Nothing was fresh or homemade, all frozen trash.

The restaurant itself is in serious need of some tlc. Tables were stained with mustard and ketchup, building was run down, their picnic area was in shambles with benches falling apart and overgrown plants (weeds). It's obvious the owners do not care about this place.

I'm all for supporting the independent mom and pop burger places and diners over all the chains. This place is just trash.
    Last edited by RY213; 08-02-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Originally posted by RY213

Those reviews were most likely written by owners and staff. I challenge anyone to try it and disagree with me. Check Zomato/urbanspoon, many reviews agreeing with me.

The burger consisted of a giant bun with a paper thin beef patty that was dry as fuck. Topped with sheets of iceberg lettuce and smothered in the disgusting mayo sauce. Nothing was fresh or homemade, all frozen trash.

The restaurant itself is in serious need of some tlc. Tables were stained with mustard and ketchup, building was run down, their picnic area was in shambles with benches falling apart and overgrown plants (weeds). It's obvious the owners do not care about this place.

I'm all for supporting the independent mom and pop burger places and diners over all the chains. This place is just trash.
    My, my, you are such a negative Nellie. It's not like CB's or Boogies or Rocky's Burger Bus or the Dearhead Cafe are all that fancy either but they all seem to have their fans - haven't been to Dearhead yet but should wander over because it is so near to my place. Probably closest dive like restaurant to me.

BTW, OP as looking for tasty and volume - volume is something most places don't do with the exception of the divier mom and pop places.

My Ride
    Grimace

My favorites are probably the sweet potato fries at smash burger or the fries from wow chicken as they are extra crispy.

My Ride
    V8s

Local on 8th has delicious shoestring fries, classic with only salt, always crispy.

Also, Blue Star diner for lunch or supper - they have amazing burgers, and if you request the fries extra crispy it's a spiritual experience.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Not fries per se, but the twice-cooked duck fat fried potatoes at OEB
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Strider
    Not fries per se, but the twice-cooked duck fat fried potatoes at OEB
    Also duck fat fries with parm @ Charcut

Bleh. Had them. Totally overrated.

CB's x 1000 (Went to St Margaret's) fries of my youth as well.

Donair on the run in Cochrane does a great copy of the CB's fries.

Where is CB's? Is it short for something?

Calgary's Best

http://cb-driveinn.com/

Originally posted by speedog

My, my, you are such a negative Nellie. It's not like CB's or Boogies or Rocky's Burger Bus or the Dearhead Cafe are all that fancy either but they all seem to have their fans - haven't been to Dearhead yet but should wander over because it is so near to my place. Probably closest dive like restaurant to me.

BTW, OP as looking for tasty and volume - volume is something most places don't do with the exception of the divier mom and pop places.
    To be fair, both CBs and Peters totally suck. They serve the cheapest, lowest quality frozen food you can buy. The burger bus is awesome because they hand make the food from fresh beef. Not sure about boogies or angels because I've never been to either.

So what's up with CB?

Someone earlier mentioned they may be on vacation... Google claims it should be open today.. But when I call no one picks up

Lol I really want to try it out after all the suggestions

CB'S is closed for their vacation, I believe that they do this every summer.
    Will fuck off, again.

CB's has been run by the same family since as long as I can remember. They almost always close for a week or so in July. The main owner is a total character always calling out orders in a deep voice, over the years he's referred to me as Captain, Chief and Boss "Ok Chief" "Eye Eye Captain". He's been doing this since I was 8 years old (Was bussed in to St Margarets for shop class)

I want to be very very clear. CB's is not a gourmet burger joint. The fries are frozen no name brand crinkle fries with no name brand seasoning salt. The burgers (Master Burger FTMFW) is a frozen patty, charbroiled through one of those old school machines, the bun is ok, the veggies are fresh, special sauce is tasty. Don't go there expecting a transcendent experience though.

For me, and everyone else I know who grew up in the area scrounging nickels and dimes together for a Master Burger Combo, the place is an essential part of growing up here. It is completely unchanged, everything tastes exactly like it did when I was just a little kid using the scorching hot bag of fries to keep my hands warm waiting for the bus. Because of that eating there offers me more than just a burger and fries.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast