Quantcast
HiFi Stereo Setup Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HiFi Stereo Setup Thread

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by b_t
    Any of you guys heard of a store called Radiocrafts before? They are a Klipsch dealer, and they've supposedly been around since 1941, but there is hardly anything about them online.

My subwoofer hunt has been extremely frustrating but I finally found a few recommendations for the Klipsch R-115SW. It looks fucking awesome, giant 15" sub in a ported box, and it's supposed to be basically the only store bought sub that can compete with Internet direct stuff.

Hsu, SVS, PSA, Rythmik, all those guys sound great on paper but I just don't plunk down mass amounts of money on gear without auditioning it first, and shipping is too expensive to grab one of these and send it back
    My buddy is the supplier for Doug & Tony @ Radiocrafts

The Klipsch subs are decent but don't hold a candle to SVS Ultra series.

My buddy has dual R-115SW

About the only Klipsch sub I would consider is the THX Ultra2, a badass sub.

http://www.klipsch.ca/products/thx-u...ers#kw-120-thx
    Last edited by 89coupe; 11-12-2016 at 08:16 PM.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

After reading and looking at a lot I didn't think the SVS Ultra was going to cut it either, so I ordered a custom 18" from a guy out in BC, Funk Audio.

Way, way more than I wanted to spend. Oh well. I didn't need new couches anyway.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by b_t
    After reading and looking at a lot I didn't think the SVS Ultra was going to cut it either, so I ordered a custom 18" from a guy out in BC, Funk Audio.

Way, way more than I wanted to spend. Oh well. I didn't need new couches anyway.
    Sick! That's a badass sub, HUGE money.

When does it arrive? I considered them but was a little nervous with them being such a small outfit.

Did you see SVS's new PB16 Ultra?
    https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra
    Last edited by 89coupe; 11-12-2016 at 05:43 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's badass man
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by 89coupe

Sick! That's a badass sub, HUGE money.

When does it arrive? I considered them but was a little nervous with them being such a small outfit.

Did you see SVS's new PB16 Ultra?
    https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra
    Hahah I actually didn't get any fancy options, so mine is going to be in a pretty plain box. The crazy finishes are tempting but I was just after good sound. He prices his stuff in USD but gave me a break on the exchange too, which was awesome so it ended up costing quite a bit less than it would have been to get a SB16 Ultra up here. Actually a pretty good deal, IMO. The Funk sub has the same amount of excursion as the SVS, bigger cone, and another 900 watts of power so it should have muscle to spare.

It'll take a couple months... end of January, early February probably.
    Last edited by b_t; 11-13-2016 at 03:21 AM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by b_t

Hahah I actually didn't get any fancy options, so mine is going to be in a pretty plain box. The crazy finishes are tempting but I was just after good sound. He prices his stuff in USD but gave me a break on the exchange too, which was awesome so it ended up costing quite a bit less than it would have been to get a SB16 Ultra up here. Actually a pretty good deal, IMO. The Funk sub has the same amount of excursion as the SVS, bigger cone, and another 900 watts of power so it should have muscle to spare.

It'll take a couple months... end of January, early February probably.
    There is one Canadian company that sells SVS, they sent me a quote for the 16.

Hi Brad, Thanks for contacting www.sonicboomaudio.com! Yes we will certainly be selling the new PB16 and SB16 Ultra as soon as it is available, which should be in about 2-3 weeks. The Canadian dollar selling price will be exactly the same as the US listed price after 6.5% import duty and exchange rate conversion, which works out to be $3499 and $2799. They are both available in either gloss black or black ash finishes. If you would like to place a pre order for one, please give our office a call at 905-944-8484 and we will be happy to process that for you. regards, Mason sonicboomaudio.com

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

That's better than I thought it'd be, wow. The PB16 will probably have more output overall...probably a lot more output, actually. The SB16 I'm curious how it'll be but I don't think I'll have anything to regret there. I really didn't want to get a ported sub so I was only really looking at sealed stuff.

The whole thing with sub shopping online like this was all I had to go off was data bass numbers, and going by those, nothing touches the Funk hahah. This one guy's is perfectly flat all the way down to 10hz, extremely low distortion even at ridiculous volumes, they have extension from 10-400hz, no group delay, no memory effect, nothing.. even Rythmik with their servo tech has way more distortion and odd ringing effects at different frequency ranges. Only sub that came close was the JL Audio e112 but I would need like four of those to equal one Funk 18 haha

It's hard to blend subs with speakers as good as Martin Logans so, fuck a budget I guess Trump's good for Canada oil, time to get the jump on that next boom hahah
    Last edited by b_t; 11-13-2016 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by b_t
    That's better than I thought it'd be, wow. The PB16 will probably have more output overall...probably a lot more output, actually. The SB16 I'm curious how it'll be but I don't think I'll have anything to regret there. I really didn't want to get a ported sub so I was only really looking at sealed stuff.

The whole thing with sub shopping online like this was all I had to go off was data bass numbers, and going by those, nothing touches the Funk hahah. This one guy's is perfectly flat all the way down to 10hz, extremely low distortion even at ridiculous volumes, they have extension from 10-400hz, no group delay, no memory effect, nothing.. even Rythmik with their servo tech has way more distortion and odd ringing effects at different frequency ranges. Only sub that came close was the JL Audio e112 but I would need like four of those to equal one Funk 18 haha

It's hard to blend subs with speakers as good as Martin Logans so, fuck a budget I guess Trump's good for Canada oil, time to get the jump on that next boom hahah
    They have a sealed version as well.
    https://www.svsound.com/products/sb16-ultra

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

BT that sounds like a cool combo. Beyond stereo meet lol
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by 89coupe

They have a sealed version as well.
    https://www.svsound.com/products/sb16-ultra
    Damn dude I mentioned that already. Do you read the whole posts? The SB16 isn't going to hold a handle to the Funk, I don't think. Smaller driver with less power. Really at this point we are way, way beyond what you need for a house anyway, the Funk is going to have headroom I will likely never even use.

If you call up Nathan and talk to him, you can cut down on the extras. Take his driver & amp and put it in a plain box and you are right in that SB16 - PB16 price bracket.

Originally posted by msommers
    BT that sounds like a cool combo. Beyond stereo meet lol
    When I get it all together I definitely have no problem having a few guys over to geek. If you've never heard Martin Logans, you definitely gotta come over. It'll ruin box speakers for you forever

Originally posted by msommers
    Sorry for the delay, SG.

An open-concept 900sq.ft room is pretty large and personally would not go with a bookshelf speaker at this budget - a floorstander is my recommendation.

Since you will be mainly streaming or playing music from a hard drive, we need a way for the music to get there. For ease of use and integration, a Sonos Connect system would be a great place to start. Moreover, you could look into an amplifier that has built-in ethernet or Air-Play if you have Apple products and streaming services like Tidal, for example.

The amplifier I would strongly recommend getting an integrated amplifier (whether tube or solid-state will depend on you - likely solid state to be honest with the budget). An integrated amp can have a DAC in it (among a slew of other things) but always pre and power amp sections - essentially the all-in-one option. Here are some options:
    w/ DACs
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...fier-like-new/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...und-mint-demo/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...055-hegel-h80/

w/o
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...fidelity-a300/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ius-8200-mkii/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...xcellent-deal/

Lastly are speakers. They are very personal and think you should audition things first to get an idea of what you like and don't like. Then go online and see what speakers have those characteristics - there are just so many. Again Canuck Audio Mart (CAM) is a great resource to help locate options as well. Tannoy's are awesome speakers and someone in Calgary is selling a pretty nice set.
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...5-tannoy-xt8f/

Others:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...-black-finish/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...36-spendor-a6/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...eaker-rosenut/
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ttaf-speakers/

Cables I would recommend Blue Jean Cables - they're a quality option and not at a ridiculous price tag.

Again I would recommend used but only for the speakers and amp. Cables I wouldn't spend a lot of money on but if used only from someone very reputable as there are a lot of fakes, and the Sonos I wouldn't bother with used personally. If other stereo lovers are any indication, it's that this setup will last a year or two, because you'll get the itch to upgrade! That's why I don't think buying new for the amp and speakers are a good idea.

Just my opinion, hope that helps!
    Matt
    Thanks Matt, I was tied up with work so haven't been checking in on this thread.

I just ended up buying the Tannoy XT8F you pointed out above after reading really good reviews on them. I chatted with the guy when he had them listed for 2200, got busy and didn't follow up, then he lowered the price to 1800 and I immediately got them.

Read up on the Hegel H80 you linked to above. Just saw a brand new one get listed at 1500 on Monday, which seemed suspicious cause they're 2200 new and the guy only had 1 prior review. Found him on LinkedIn and he works at a recording studio in town, said he got the amp direct from the manufacturer but they weren't going to use it in their studio. Seems legit, so I got it off of him last night.

Really liking the new setup so far... appreciate the advice man!
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 11-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sick setup dude!

Yeah we definitely should do a meet up one of these days. I have a Hegel H360 and little Totem Arro speakers, and have never heard Logans before (or those Tannoys actually).
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Had a good deal on an Anthem MRX510 pop up locally so I replaced my receiver as well... I was not expecting it to make such a big difference. I thought my old Pioneer amp was pretty good but clearly the Anthem has much more power and less distortion ... sounds phenomenal. The room correction also did a fantastic job blending the sub with my towers, although my room is pretty good so it's job was pretty easy.

Originally posted by b_t
    Had a good deal on an Anthem MRX510 pop up locally so I replaced my receiver as well... I was not expecting it to make such a big difference. I thought my old Pioneer amp was pretty good but clearly the Anthem has much more power and less distortion ... sounds phenomenal. The room correction also did a fantastic job blending the sub with my towers, although my room is pretty good so it's job was pretty easy.
    Anthem receivers are great, and the ARC room correction is the best in the industry as far as I know. Nice find.

My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

My Funk should be ready this week! Can't wait. Although to be honest the Anthem did such a good job at room correction, my current sub sounds better than ever... still not much in terms of low end extension or output, but it is putting out some good, clean bass. Music sounds absolutely outstanding. I imagine with the Funk running it'll sound truly monstrous though... still trying to decide what movie to watch first to check out the low end extension.

Audioholics reviewed the PB16. The low bass output is insane.. if you have the budget and the space, this seems like the clear winner for massive low end. The Funk will still do more peak output, and digs a lot lower though

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...ltra-subwoofer

Anybody get some sweet scores for Christmas or Boxing Day?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Are any of you guys into vintage gear? I am just getting into stereo equipment again but now i can troubleshoot and repair electronics.

Current amp is a 1977 Kenwood KA-6100 and Cannon-TLS (ESS) 1230's just refoamed.
    I have a pair of CV D-5's and a sweet pair of Mach Ones (the keepers) waiting on the post office. Mach Ones are getting full VL mods.

I should post some pictures
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Originally posted by legendboy
    Are any of you guys into vintage gear? I am just getting into stereo equipment again but now i can troubleshoot and repair electronics.

Current amp is a 1977 Kenwood KA-6100 and Cannon-TLS (ESS) 1230's just refoamed.
    I have a pair of CV D-5's and a sweet pair of Mach Ones (the keepers) waiting on the post office. Mach Ones are getting full VL mods.

use to have a pile of yamaha gear, only have a m-45 left now though. running a pair of MA silver 9i with it. not same level of vintage as yours, but the amp is 30 years old, and the speakers 16 years.

wish i could trouble shoot my own amps, gave it a try a few time, but never successful (but i never made anything worse, so i guess that's a small success!).

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by legendboy

I'm into the vintage gear! My loudspeakers are JBL Decade that were refoamed, and I have a vintage Pioneer amp. Although, I did cave and defect to an H/K amp for the HDMI switch.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

b_t, post pics when you receive it! Subs require more calibration work than speakers, which generally need better placement than electronic correction. Acoustic treatment correction stuff can make a huge improvement, although I've always had large open-concept condos so it's kinda pointless for me...

Which Logans do you have again?
    Ultracrepidarian

Just so y'all know, my uncle's estate will have a few pieces of 70's or so vintage amps, preamps and receivers coming available that I'll post up on beyond - I'm hoping January depending on how fast the courts move on the estate. I'll update this thread later today with a more detailed list as I'll be over there today and yes, I still have a list of who has expressed interest in what. There is a matched set consisting of a Toshiba preamp, amp and receiver that I powered up and connected to a set of speakers and it sounded quite nice to my not so good ears - I've even considered keeping them for myself but to be honest I just don't listen to music when I'm at home and they would just sit collecting dust. Stay tuned.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast