Quantcast
Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Modifications: Wondering what is legal and what is not? Your Answers Are Here

My Ride
    no longer has a spoiler

haha, to think the number of people the cops could pull over for illegal mods given that list and don't. Good times, thanks for that.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Criticull
    haha, to think the number of people the cops could pull over for illegal mods given that list and don't. Good times, thanks for that.
    AFAIK most won't pull you over for most of these things, unless you're driving like a jackass or already got pulled over and are giving the cop lip.

Couple of my buddies have been pulled over with tint/exhaust and the cop didn't even mention those things.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    04 civic

are blacked out reflectors illegal? If they are are smoked alright?

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

the whole muffler and decibel argument is ridiculous, what about motorcycles...harleys and such can be bloody loud? how does that work for them?

are license plate covers illegal?

My Ride
    92 Civic Si

Originally posted by v2kai
    the whole muffler and decibel argument is ridiculous, what about motorcycles...harleys and such can be bloody loud? how does that work for them?

the muffler arguments are ridiculous, though I have never been pulled over before. I'm not sure if the same applies in Calgary, but I know people from other police departments and they told me that the muffler needs to be a certain height above the ground (or the tip at least), the size is not the issue, i mean some trucks have huge exhausts, doesn't seem to be an issue with them. So yeah, cops that pull you over and tell you the exhaust is too big, ask them where it says that.. from what I know, it's the distance between the muffler and the ground that they can "legally" give you a ticket.

As for decibels, i keep my silencer on unless i'm at the track.. and even if i didn't have teh silencer, just don't tear one when yuo're around cops.. if yuo don't show signs of "vroom vroom" and drive normally (relative term), you should be okay.

licence plate covers, no. with LED's or anything obstructing the numbers, yes.

My Ride
    Audi A4 Quattro

Originally posted by v2kai

A retired constable told me that police will not ticket motorcycles because it is safer to have a loud exhaust as they are such a tiny vehicle.
    He said that anytime he pulled someone over it was really on why you got pulled over if he was going to take the next step and ticket you for mods.
    He also said that window tint is hardly ever a issue if you get pulled over for something minor and are polite. Roll your window down right away and answer the questions.

My Ride
    Audi A4 Quattro

^^ Although at the end of the day it is "illegal" so dont be shocked if you do get a ticket.

(had to add that in)

My Ride
    VW-JETTA GT

this whole system is currupet as goes this whole world they tell u you have freedom of speach and what not but if u see a girl with a 7 inch skirt and u tell her nice ass thats hurrasment right pfft retarted government, yeah cars that go from 0 to 60 in like 2.5 secs are ok for the road but cost alot of money but when u mod your car to make it 0 to 60 in 5 secs then u are illigaly modyfying your car to go faster lol pfft

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by Big_Dreamer
    1. Exhaust Regulations

Mufflers

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

I think they really are just looking for an exhaust muffler that is 2+ inches and sound like an obvious ricer fart can. My proof:
    I used to have an Integra with a larger exhaust tip that was 3 inches. it produced a higher pitch than stock and I did in fact get a ticket for that.
    My more recent car (240) that I have for a few years now has a full 3" exhaust but the muffler tips (apexi dual) are 2 1/2 inches. It produces a very low deep sound. I have yet to receive a ticket for it. *knock on wood*
    I have been pulled over a few times in this car and they have never ticketed me for any "performance" mods.
    Last edited by Genjuro; 04-05-2009 at 03:37 AM.

My Ride
    VW-JETTA GT

Originally posted by Genjuro

I have been pulled over a few times in this car and they have never ticketed me for any "performance" mods.
    depends on the prick cop that stops u most the time its good cop bad cop u might get a light tickit or bad cop bad cop where they both fuk u up on things u have on ur car, good cop gives u a warning, bad cop spits at u and takes advantage of his badge... once my friend got pulled over for having those lights on the water sprayers for the window the cop came down gave us the tickit then he went around the car and told him the muffer he has on is illigal and that he should remove it... then he said ill giveu a chance this time but we still got the tickit for the LED lights its dumb

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

another question about the muffler issue, i was watching a episode of Stacey ? gears, and he put a STS twin turbo kit on a corvette, he also said that the turbos are like a muffler and deaden the sound thus not having to put mufflers after the STS turbo kit??? is this true?

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

Yes a turbo muffles the sound. But it still comes down to sound output, and being an annoyance. I know some guys that get by with a straight 4" piece of pipe dumped out of there front bumper, but it all depends on how quiet you keep yourself when the heat is around.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

yeah i have 3 inch turbo back on my audi, it goes into a fart can, but ive wanted to unhook the downpipe-3inch and see what it dose, so i wondered if it was ok, guess i will do it and see how loud it is, its a 5 cyl engine so it might be loud haha

www.boostedalberta.com

My Ride
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege/ 2007 Mercedes C280 4MATIC

i just got pulled over the other day for my tint just when i got out of the car wash so of course my windows were up and the cop seen me from the other side of the road pulled over and waited for me to pass by him to pull me over i got a 57 ticket and this other yellow ticket saying i have 60 days to pull my tint off or i get my car impounded and the cop completly ignored the exhaust
    still bullshit
    i seen like 5 cars with darker tint than mine drive by while i was pulled over
    it fucken ruined my day

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

ok, question for those who may know, On my Audi i got the 3 inch turbo back exhaust to a fart cannon, if i were to pull off my fart cannon and run just the 3 inch pipe, will it be louder with or without the muffler...

any input would be awsome

www.boostedalberta.com

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

louder without the muffler.

I think the widened law thingy is regarding the 1950's tradition of welding or widening the exhaust tip to like a megaphone size.....which would make it substantially louder...

?who knows?
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

My Ride
    coupé

Originally posted by black_radiation
    ticket [...] 10 houses away from my place lol
    Hm weird, as the law states that if you are within 11 houses (or less)of your house, you are exempt from tickets ..
    Last edited by berbatov; 04-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    92' Nissan 180SX

Last edited by JTC180; 05-19-2009 at 03:17 PM.

So I am wanting to make it so my turn signals are like a white or something to that effect but not sure if one if its illegal and two if it would be an LED type of light i would need or what.

Thanks
    Last edited by kprigotz; 05-19-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Thanks,
    KP

My Ride
    2010 Lexus RX350

Just got pulled over for having clear signal lights. Car is a 97 Civic Si with stock tail lights. I guess your signal lights have to be yellow or red or else you're gonna get a ticket.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast