Quantcast
Official 2016/17 winter tire thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016/17 winter tire thread

Default Official 2016/17 winter tire thread

It's almost that time, saw some of that white shit hitting my truck's windshield Sunday afternoon up in Silver Springs and area.

My Ride
    Lariat

I have some Blizzak WS80's that were brand new last year to throw on. Still probably 85% so I will be good for a few more years. Probably won't throw them on till end of october/early november because the wheel/tire set up I am currently running has 'winter claw' winters on them which are pretty good in the snow.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    06 S2000

I picked up some nordfrost gislaved last year. Currently rocking "performance all-seasons", so I'm not overtly worried, but I'll likely swap over sooner than later, since I can take another vehicle if it's too warm for winters.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

I have a set of Nokian Hakka R2 SUV that I'll put on probably End of October/Beginning of November depending on weather, not too concerned about timing since I'm running Michelin All-Season's as Summer's

My Ride
    Skateboard

Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with the Chinese tire GT Radial Champiro WinterPro HP?

My Golf R has all wheel drive, so is it safe to assume these tires will able to handle going up and down the Bow Trail hill on the worse snowy days?

These tires are easily $400 cheaper than the exact same size tires made by Bridgestone and Michelin...price is just too tempting. Are the name brands that much better to justify almost twice the price?

I have Blizzaks on my Armada and its a tank in the winter. Are the Champiros comparable?
    Last edited by G; 09-12-2016 at 12:43 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

They'll be fine going up. Going down... Meh.

You still use all 4 tires to stop the car, regardless of AWD.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by G
    Does anybody have any good or bad experiences with the Chinese tire GT Radial Champiro WinterPro HP?

My Golf R has all wheel drive, so is it safe to assume these tires will able to handle going up and down the Bow Trail hill on the worse snowy days?

These tires are easily $400 cheaper than the exact same size tires made by Bridgestone and Michelin...price is just too tempting. Are the name brands that much better to justify almost twice the price?

I have Blizzaks on my Armada and its a tank in the winter. Are the Champiros comparable?
    Check out Saliun Ice Blazer.. They are a chinese knock off of generals and they were really good last year. For an 18" (225/40/18) they were around 100 per tire. 110 for studded. A little floaty on the highway but thats it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by G

Got them last year for my last season on the S4 to replaced the Blizzak LM-60. They did their jobs fine but we didn't really get a real winter last year either.

Given Golf R is a full 500lb lighter than S4, I'm sure it'll do fine. But I picked them last year because I know I won't own them this year. So YMMV.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-12-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Will be using WS80s I bought last year, only put on like 500 kms on them.. But I plan on getting Nokians next time I buy winter tires (probably 4 years later)
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by G

what's the speed rating? are they marketed as performance or touring? some of the smaller names are pretty good but i am not sure about the chinese ones.

i've been riding hankook ipike w409/419 for years but last year i decided to switch to blizzak ws80. i'm sure the tread life is maybe 2/3 of michelin x-ice but for pure comfort/confidence/grip, it was straight out amazing. haha my gf has them on her fwd golf tsi and loves it. i rock them on my GLK 4matic and it's basically dummy proof.

ultimately it's up to you, baller.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AP1

I sold my daily driver last year so I no longer had a "winter beater". My S2000 became my daily so I drove that through winter. Thankfully mother nature was nice last year so I didn't have ground clearance issues.

I bought a set of Toyo Garit KX tires and mounted them on another set of AP1 rims. To my surprise, the S2000 feels amazing in the snow. Never got stuck and never felt nervous driving in heavy snowfall.

For the second season in a row I'll be going with studded Nordfrost Gislaved and hoping for the most brutal winter in decades. Gotta snowboard.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

My 09 G37x sedan came with a set of brand new Hakkapalitta R's that the previous owner didn't put on last winter due to the mildness....should I use them, I'm just afraid of excess wear if we have another mild winter...

Anyone want to buy them off me? 225/55/17s..

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I have 225/45/17 Champiro Icepros with studs I kept from my ATS that are going on my STi, however that car likely will only make it to Ghost Lake and maybe some winter rally x up at Castrol. Have semi worn Duratracs on my 4Runner and I'm not looking forward to driving on those things this winter...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Still gonna rock the Conti RFT's on the BMW, probably target an October 1 swap over date. Would like better tires but can't justify it until i burn off this set. Starting to notice the loss of traction during the morning commute already.

Also need to start looking for some Rims/tire for the Lexus. Step one is rims so it looks like I need some 17x7-7.5s offset +30-45. ( I really have no idea how offset affects things... )

Anyone have experience with DAI Alloys? I have literally never bought aftermarket rims before.

As for tires probably goodyears again as my uncle can get them for me for next to nothing..

With AWD and all seasons i have a bit more time on this though.

edit:
    Also does anyone have any info on Lexus TPMS, is it easily programmed these days and do they allow aftermarket sensors? Heard horror stories about toyota only sensors and needing the serial numbers off the sensors in advance of programming by the deal ( leading to costly dismounting charges to get things working ). Might consider going through winter without TPMS but i don't know how much the car will like that ( sirens / warnings etc ). I never used them on the toyota as the reset button was hidden somewhere in the dash.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-13-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Bought a set of 19" G37 wheels last spring. Some curb rash, but for $500 and the fact that it included Blizzaks (2X65%, 2X90%), I figured that was a good deal.

Refinished them and haven't had them on my car since. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they look, as the colour is almost dead-on to my body colour.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Only negative is that the sensors are almost certainly of an older design so I'll have to ignore the tpms all winter.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    They'll be fine going up. Going down... Meh.

You still use all 4 tires to stop the car, regardless of AWD.
    Is this from first hand experience?

Originally posted by Xtrema

Got them last year for my last season on the S4 to replaced the Blizzak LM-60. They did their jobs fine but we didn't really get a real winter last year either.

Given Golf R is a full 500lb lighter than S4, I'm sure it'll do fine. But I picked them last year because I know I won't own them this year. So YMMV.
    Thanks X.

Originally posted by max_boost

what's the speed rating? are they marketed as performance or touring? some of the smaller names are pretty good but i am not sure about the chinese ones.

i've been riding hankook ipike w409/419 for years but last year i decided to switch to blizzak ws80. i'm sure the tread life is maybe 2/3 of michelin x-ice but for pure comfort/confidence/grip, it was straight out amazing. haha my gf has them on her fwd golf tsi and loves it. i rock them on my GLK 4matic and it's basically dummy proof.

ultimately it's up to you, baller.
    Gary at UrbanX said they are pretty equivalent to the ipikes and ice bears.

They have a h-v speed rating as they are advertised as winter tires for sports cars.

Fuck it I'm going to give it a try. If I don't like them I'll just replace them.

My Ride
    Grimace

summers 4 lyfe!

Will be going on winter #3 with my federals. They have been wearing pretty well too when I measure them instead of kaltire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wifes federals will last another winter. Guess I'd better call Bob to get them swapped onto the rims.
    Savage Honda Fit has good studded tires. I will swap those at the last possible second in the garage, since that tick-tick-tick noise drives me insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

One year old Hankook iPikes(that I wish I studded) ready to go on the winter beater.

(If anyone need some 205/65/15 X-ices for one or 2 more seasons, lmk, they're just sitting in storage. super cheap Beyond price!)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast