Quantcast
2015 Genesis Sedan V8 carbon issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Genesis Sedan V8 carbon issues

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Default 2015 Genesis Sedan V8 carbon issues

Well I have a 2015 Genesis sedan V8. Since new I have been having issues with the engine light coming on due to carbon build up. The issue started around 2-3000k and still going on now at 36k. I have had the car in the shop no less than 20 visits and still the so called engineers at Hyundai Canada have no friggin clue what's going on. Spark plugs have been swapped, injectors totally replaced. Canisters replaced, complete top side engine cleaning 3 times. Also from day one I've only run full synthetic oil and only premium fuel from shell and petro Canada 94 octane.

Really had it with the complete lack of respect for my time with all the bullshit and not having the problem fixed. I have really been hoping the problem would be fixed after all these visits, that it just had to be one more small problem to finally solve the issue and I could go back to enjoying the car. It's been great for everything else other than this on going problem

Anyone else have issues like this? I'm finally going to run it through camvap to get it taken care of and have the idiots there buy it back. But I was really hoping it would get fixed and I could go back to not having to worry about crap like this on a brand new car. Also I know mine is the only one around that has had this continuing problem.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Sounds like you need an Italian tune-up.

What causes the carbon build up and why does it seem to be more common in V8's? I've heard of several types of cars having these issues now, but usually only when they are older.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

a) does the car require premium?
    b) do you drive it hard on occasion?
    c) do you let it idle for extended periods?
    d) is the carbon from oil consumption?

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Originally posted by revelations
    a) does the car require premium?
    b) do you drive it hard on occasion?
    c) do you let it idle for extended periods?
    d) is the carbon from oil consumption?
    A) yes and have been told to at dealership. Which I did from day one.
    B) yes I drive it hard on occasion. The light comes on during passing situations
    C) no I do not let it idle for extended periods.
    D) no oil consumption.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    What causes the carbon build up and why does it seem to be more common in V8's? I've heard of several types of cars having these issues now, but usually only when they are older.
    From all the research I've done so far it's an issue with direct injection cars. But major cleaning isn't required until like 80k and mine has already had it three times.

I have also been running the fuel injector cleaner that was recommended by Hyundai Canada to try and solve the issue. It's annoying cause mines the only one with these issues.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

To me that sounds like an engine timing issue, as in the intake valves are early to open causing exhaust gas to enter the intake, and carbon up the valves.

The #1 cause of carbon build is oil blow by cooking off on hot valves.

Things to consider on your car would be, long term fuel trims, if lean, there's a possibility that internal seals are leaking allowing oil to blow by.

Purge valve on evap system may be leaking, or stuck open, causing fuel vapour to burn off on valves and cause build up.

I'd suggest a leaking EGR valance as well, but I'm sure this car has variable cam
    Timing on the intake and exhaust as the EGR has gone extinct on Gas vehicles

Sounds like your car need a good diagnostician, of which I'm sure are lacking in the Hyuandai world.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 01-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Thats shitty luck. How long till you can make em take it back as a lemon and get a new one?

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

It really sucks. And yes I agree no one even with hyundai Canada has been able to diagnos this problem. Been a real nightmare.

As for the lemon law, it's called camvap.inalready started the process once and that got hyundai Canada attention cause they don't like to get involved with that, but still no uck on getting the problem fixed. The initial gonat camvap I let go cause I was really hoping that the problem was going to go away and would be solved by the final fix. So I let the claim time lapse. I have started the process up again and will be following through now unless hyundai Canada replaces the car. I say replace because I don't want the car to be devalued any more than it already will be due to an engine replacement. The thing is still well within warranty and they can do something to make things right. Now if they don't replace the car, I will run it through camvap and I believe I can recoup the many many hours of wasted time back.

It's really frustrating cause I still love the car. It's a great car except for this friggin issue the idiots at Hyundai Canada can't fix and they even refuse to let me talk to anyone in engineering to get to the bottom of the problem.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    To me that sounds like an engine timing issue, as in the intake valves are early to open causing exhaust gas to enter the intake, and carbon up the valves.

The #1 cause of carbon build is oil blow by cooking off on hot valves.

Things to consider on your car would be, long term fuel trims, if lean, there's a possibility that internal seals are leaking allowing oil to blow by.

Purge valve on evap system may be leaking, or stuck open, causing fuel vapour to burn off on valves and cause build up.

I'd suggest a leaking EGR valance as well, but I'm sure this car has variable cam
    Timing on the intake and exhaust as the EGR has gone extinct on Gas vehicles

Sounds like your car need a good diagnostician, of which I'm sure are lacking in the Hyuandai world.

Where would you suggest the car going? Since this is a warranty issue I wish they would take care of the problem

My Ride

Have you tried a Genesis-specific forum yet? Chances are someone else has had this issue.

Also, try a catch can to see how much oil (if any) is being sent back to the intake manifold.

DI cars are still a new thing and have certain issues they need to worked out - unfortunately its the consumer who gets to do this - price you pay for the newest and best-est technology.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by Phenix

Where would you suggest the car going? Since this is a warranty issue I wish they would take care of the problem
    No where I could really recommend, because it's a warranty issue, I would just keep pressing the dealer.

Sadly it's up to them and their field engineers( if they have such a thing) to remediate your car.

Anywhere else and it'll be out of pocket, and whatever independent shop you take it to won't have the diag equipment, schematics or support that the Dealership would have.

I'd offer to have a look out of curiosity, but again I don't have access to a hyuandai scan tool.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 01-30-2017 at 01:57 PM.

The car is going to be a financial liability going forward, you'll have red flags on any trade in or sale, one look at the vehicle history worksheet from Hyundai will show the car as what is... a lemon. No one will want the car. The dealer and Hyundai have had ample opportunity to sort the issue, time to lawyer up or start inviting the service techs for Easter dinner and all holidays going forward. You're on a first-name basis I'd assume.

I've read of others with new car issues, they buy a box of lemons, make some signs "Hyundai Genesis Lemons For Free (or sale)" and park in front of the dealership. Wait for the press coverage and/or dealership owner to notice you. It is easier today than ever before, social media is a fire of pain in these cases. One guy had a licence to sell fruit from a vehicle, so he was covered somewhat, zoning was as issue though.

You bought a new car to avoid spending hundreds of hours dealing with car issues.
    Last edited by Tenkara Way; 01-30-2017 at 01:02 PM.

If others aren't having this issues, an Hyundai can't fix it - I would focus all time and efforts on getting them to replace it through the lemon law. You will probably end up doing that regardless, so better now than 6 months down the road and countless more hours of your time wasted.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Common DI car problem. Needs walnut blasting and a catchcan.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    lemon law
    Canada has no such law.

I'd just lean the mixture and run it at high power for a minute or two to burn off the lead deposits. Oh wait, this is a modern unleaded gasoline engine... wtf. Good luck OP.

My Ride

When you put fuel in it, are you stopping on the first click, or topping it up?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Canada has no such law.
    I know I just mean the CAMVAP route, sorry for the confusion.

My Ride

Originally posted by Sentry
    Common DI car problem. Needs walnut blasting and a catchcan.
    Yea I've been reading about this issues online - had no idea it was this bad. Apparently catch can is one step but the engine will require periodic cleanings regardless. Mist of distilled water through the intake would be a good first step in alleviating this issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast