Quantcast
Official 2016/17 winter tire thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016/17 winter tire thread

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by n1zm0

What's the WS80 verdict with icy conditions, Costco has a decent sale on them until Oct 1st, tempting to just pull the trigger on them for a new vehicle, get it all done before the late Oct-Dec rush.
    Got them on the GLK and Golf. Absolutely love these tires. Last year first snowfall drove to SpringBank for hockey through highway 8. It felt so good.

Originally posted by nickyh
    stepping in here.

I'm currently running my GTI on 17's WS70's for the winter, this would be my 5th winter on them and I still have a ton of tread life left on them - but I really hate how they under perform in the winter.
    Interesting....I'm a huge fan of the Blizzaks. I had the WS50 and using WS80. Zero issues from me.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Going to run the same all seasons on the truck again this year, they do well.

If Barons ICE-X gets the green light this year I'll be looking for winter tires for the track mustang Have some 16" wheels on a parts car that will work perfect for some winter wheels. Should I go studded or non studded? Looking for used since I'll only be using them for racing, I only see non studded come up in Lethbridge. I'll have to check width of the wheels, but I think I want 225/55/16 or 215/60/16.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Originally posted by max_boost

Interesting....I'm a huge fan of the Blizzaks. I had the WS50 and using WS80. Zero issues from me.
    Yeah, i had high hopes for these tires. I was told my car would be as sure footed as a mountain goat. My goat must have missed that memo.

So my current set up is:
    225/45/17 on an ASA GT1 wheel (17 x 8, with a 45mm offset).

Now, will that wheel work?

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Yeah, i had high hopes for these tires. I was told my car would be as sure footed as a mountain goat. My goat must have missed that memo.

So my current set up is:
    225/45/17 on an ASA GT1 wheel (17 x 8, with a 45mm offset).

Now, will that wheel work?
    I have a MK7R and I went with 18x8 with 225/45R18 Gislaveds. You can go with 17s but the overall consensus is you're better off going with 18s.

Does your GTI have the PP? If so, they are the same brakes as the R. So if your 17s fit now, they should fit the R no problem.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Originally posted by GingeRRRBeef

Does your GTI have the PP? If so, they are the same brakes as the R. So if your 17s fit now, they should fit the R no problem.
    PP?
    Sorry not up with lingo.

My summer wheels are the stock 18" Serrons, I just went -1 for the winter.

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

PP?
    Sorry not up with lingo.

My summer wheels are the stock 18" Serrons, I just went -1 for the winter.
    PP = Performance package

Not all 17" rims are going to clear the R's brakes so it's not guaranteed that -1" will fit

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your GTI is a 2012 so I'm unsure the performance package is relevant
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Ugh, I'll just bite the bullet and get 18's. I'll just sell my current setup, it should at least cover the cost of new wheels.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

I actually have no real choice but to switch. My beater Taurus I bought for a $1 came with a shit set of summers and a set of winters. Normally I would have all seasons.

I still think most of you like throwing money away...just a reminder we didn't even break 70 centimeters last year of total snow...
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    I actually have no real choice but to switch. My beater Taurus I bought for a $1 came with a shit set of summers and a set of winters. Normally I would have all seasons.

I still think most of you like throwing money away...just a reminder we didn't even break 70 centimeters last year of total snow...
    Neat. It was still cold as fuck. Driving on hockey pucks isn't the best time. Winter tires aren't just for snow..

That being said I'm rocking my ko2s on the truck again this year. I was very happy with the performance last year.

My Ride
    Z

Some of us actually leave the city and do more highway driving in the winter than the summer. I know I regularly drive through blizzards.

New car came with WS80s and I was very unimpressed last year. Now Hakka 8s 245/40/18s. I loved the studded altimax arctic but they didn't come in this size
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    2010 S4

Recently bought a Canyon what are your guys recommendations for winter truck tires that will be spending alot of time on the highway and lots of mountain and QEII driving

My Ride
    Grimace

Better snow like ten feet tomorrow after struggling those winter tires down from the rack.

So like usual, all over the map with varying experiences on the same products... lol!

The wifes old 90's Patherfinder on WS80's last year ran great on the ice and snow the few times we actually had to deal with it. I have been running Studded Firestone Winterforces on my 2wd trucks the last many years as they work great as an all arounder for lighter, rwd applications in deep snow and on ice, but they are not on for their handling prowess! Haha!

If there was one tire that was better than all tires in every regard, there would only be one tire. Because we all have different needs, budgets, preferences, vehicles etc you will never get any group of people who can agree. You need to look at the physical design and attributes of a tire and know what aspects make them different to know how that will apply to your own specific set of needs. Not knocking anyone here but an individuals set of experiences on a forum is not always enough to go on when knowing how a tire will behave for you and online reviews are sketchy at very best thanks to paid marketers (and people who know no better)

You really need to ask questions about how you drive, what you drive where you drive, what is your budget, and a whole lot more, and then find an honest professional you trust to walk you through the benefits and drawbacks of the individual products and conform those around the answers to the previous questions as best as possible, understanding what you are willing to give up to gain what you must have...

This years rant/lesson hs been completed... Now back to work! Lol

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by tirebob
    So like usual, all over the map with varying experiences on the same products... lol!

The wifes old 90's Patherfinder on WS80's last year ran great on the ice and snow the few times we actually had to deal with it. I have been running Studded Firestone Winterforces on my 2wd trucks the last many years as they work great as an all arounder for lighter, rwd applications in deep snow and on ice, but they are not on for their handling prowess! Haha!

If there was one tire that was better than all tires in every regard, there would only be one tire. Because we all have different needs, budgets, preferences, vehicles etc you will never get any group of people who can agree. You need to look at the physical design and attributes of a tire and know what aspects make them different to know how that will apply to your own specific set of needs. Not knocking anyone here but an individuals set of experiences on a forum is not always enough to go on when knowing how a tire will behave for you and online reviews are sketchy at very best thanks to paid marketers (and people who know no better)

You really need to ask questions about how you drive, what you drive where you drive, what is your budget, and a whole lot more, and then find an honest professional you trust to walk you through the benefits and drawbacks of the individual products and conform those around the answers to the previous questions as best as possible, understanding what you are willing to give up to gain what you must have...

This years rant/lesson hs been completed... Now back to work! Lol
    TRUTH!!!

Always have people saying that they want the "best" tire. That is completely dependent on where you are, how you drive and what you drive. Reviews are also a good and bad thing. Reviews rarely show the type of driving conditions and if the person reviewing even has a clue how to drive anyways. Every year I have several in depth conversations with people requesting the "best" winter tire with no regard of what the best tire is for them personally.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    growls

It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and I still have bald summer tires on the evo.... Getting home should be interesting!

My Ride
    Exploded.

I wonder if the snow will stick and settle, or just melt away.

Melt, me thinks.

Originally posted by Squishy
    It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and I still have bald summer tires on the evo.... Getting home should be interesting!
    Should be fine, it will melt and temps will stay above zero for the most part

I'm hoping it melts. It's supposed to go to 15 again next week so I don't want to change to winters just yet

My Ride
    growls

Bridge decks were very slippery tonight. We went to and from Crossfield and yikes. Cars in ditches all over. Bad accident in Airdrie. Looked dry but was very slippery.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast