Quantcast
SNC Lavelin? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: SNC Lavelin?

Default SNC Lavelin?

Does anybody here work for them? I got an informal job offer with them doing some surveying, but i'm not sure exactly what the job entails (the project the job is for doesnt seem like it will need as much surveying as they are apparently doing for it). Anyways, I already have a pretty solid job that I was only going to be at for another 3-4 months while saving for a trip and am wondering if its worth jumping ship (SNC contact knows the timeline and doesnt have a problem with it). I guess what im looking for is if anyone knows how the company is overall, rough pay scale, etc. (its been a few years since ive done any surveying)

My Ride
    Zit Remedy

I worked at SNC for a year and would never entertain an offer from them again. It was a huge step backwards. Cheap company, shoddy management, terrible work environment, low morale, etc.

I'd look past them.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

I have a friend that did procurement work for them after leaving a good spot at Bantrel. She had her job back at Bantrel fairly quick.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    Zit Remedy

Heh. I know who her ex boss was. Don't blame her for leaving!

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

This threads sums it up. They pay shit, they're shit to work for. If you're not french, they're like Canam... you're only going to make it so far in the company.

I've had them as a client, they're not so great to work with.

Avoid at all costs, some of the most arrogant pricks youll ever meet run that shithole.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    project empty wallet... Kouki Monster

SNC
    Spend No Cash... one of the cheapest companies in the market, i would suggest only using them as a steping stone.

Haha alright, looks like ill just stick it out at my job for a few more months, thanks for the heads up guys

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

that's funny... i just had a job for them come across my desk with the words "cost effective" in the scope of work... was having issues finding a cheap way to do it properly... now i know i should probably just do it the cheap way

they have a nice office building though, on 6th and 5th downtown i believe.
    LOL

Originally posted by copynpaste
    they have a nice office building though, on 6th and 5th downtown i believe.
    Dont know how you consider that nice? You ever been in it? What a hole.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by Cos

Nah, when I said its nice, the lobby that is.
    LOL

My Ride
    preowned

100% accurate, especially the French part. I consulted 18 months for them and unless you're a contractor, the pay is shit... the processes are shit, management is shit and good luck getting paid on time. You'll love all the conference calls with the thick French pompous accent that you can barely comprehend.

Originally posted by Jlude
    This threads sums it up. They pay shit, they're shit to work for. If you're not french, they're like Canam... you're only going to make it so far in the company.

I've had them as a client, they're not so great to work with.

Good review below, long but very good read.

-----------------

I can't say I've ever seen a company that values it's employees less. It is now a common theme for people to be "hired" by this company and after they give notice at their jobs, the hiring documents are "delayed". When they arrive, the salary is lower than promised. (But what are you going to do at this point?) So you complain and a salary review is promised after 3 months. When 3 months goes by, the review is performed and no increase is given.

Upper management is very secretive. They gloss over the problems the company is having with an "everything’s fine" attitude, even though the people on the front lines know exactly what the clients and vendors think of us. There is much infighting between the different departments and levels of management.

It is not uncommon to hear a manager openly speaking negatively about their peers. The benefits are sub standard. I have never experienced lower levels of benefits. Families are hit especially hard with the dental. No massage therapy or other alternative healing methods. The one bright spot is that it is provided by sunlife, so many companies will direct bill. There is no pension plan, just matching RRSP's and you have to work there 18 months to get this benefit. (Which, lucky for ProFac, doesn't happen very often... we'll get into this later) Job security - no problem. If you are willing to put up with everything, stay as long as you like. No one ever gets fired.

Overtime isn't mandatory, but you end up putting a lot in. Most people have to do it unpaid. Expect, on average, if you work through your lunches to put in about 2 - 5 hours OT a week. There is no social club, nor any organized sport teams as moral is very low and there is infighting between the major departments within the company. There is no real "mentoring" of good employees. Most employees who are competent do not stay within the company. Promotions from within are not the norm.

Some departments are great. Others are continually being run on term and temporary staff as people quit and because of budget problems. Generally, everyone in the trenches is really nice and everyone tries to help each other out.

The real problem is the Work Environment. There is over 100% turnover within some divisions of the company. (Standard industry rate should sit around 10 to 14%) This means that if you look around you a year from now, chances are over half of the people will be gone. And the other problem is that some of those positions will not be filled for 3 to 6 months. (Who do you think will cover them in the meantime…) Management blames all sorts of factors for this. Even though they perform exit interviews, HR is in denial as to why everyone is exiting. The only people who are still here are new hires (who haven't been beaten into the ground yet), idealists who refuse to give up hope that things will turn around, and the incompetents who can't get other jobs.

The company keeps reorganizing management in the hopes of fixing the problems (like that ever works) and never addresses the real problems. There have even been instances such as one where HR was told of abuse and harassment inflicted upon an employee by a senior employee. The employee finally had to quit and nothing was ever done about their abuser. The abusive person still works just down the hall from me, even though many others have reported the exact same behaviors to HR.

Work for SNC? Think again. If you can, speak to SNCs customers and its vendors, you will probably be surprised at their candor and how openly they will criticize this company. Don't take the word of the people hiring you that this is a great place. It is their job to ensure you accept the position. Better yet, try to speak to your coworkers and then ask for the contact information of the person you are replacing. They will at least give you the most honest feedback about what to expect, and probably will be more than happy to speak with you.

If you do decide to take the job…

1. Make sure YOU HAVE THE OFFER IN WRITING!!!! prior to giving notice to your current employer.

2. Look out for #1 and take every promise with a grain of salt. If you are counting on (financially or otherwise) the promised delivery of a promotion, raise, easing of workload… you will be sadly disappointed.

3. Suck up, suck up, suck up. If you are going to stay and you want to be successful, do not align yourself with your peers. And keep your mouth shut. Any negativity, even if it is valid and/or constructive, will be met with a roof instantly being placed over your head.
    LOL

My Ride
    Zit Remedy

That post is fairly accurate.

Originally posted by Cos

Wahts SNC inside the offices like? Let me guess, disorganized to the absolute worse, white walls, tiny cubicles and a small shitty kitchen?
    LOL

My Ride
    Zit Remedy

Cubicles with Ikea style tables, 1 desk with printer, fax. "lunch area" with a few other ikea tables and chairs, absolutely bare kitchen. I remember one day I went out and bought a Calgary Herald to read in the AM. After I was done, I left it in the kitchen and watched a few SNC people argue about who could read the damn thing. Or how the procurement team "ganged up" on one of their co-workers and made the guy cry in the office (during Christmas time). It was kindergarten all over again, and you could "smell" the low morale throughout the floor. The only down the earth person I can honestly say I met was the lone security guard watching the main floor.

This was the 7th Ave. location, right at the end of the LRT.
    Last edited by Degrassi_Wheels; 09-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.

My Sister recently took an envronmental field position (calgary based) there, and she says its good so far.

Pay is good, and Benefits were better than her previous company.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

They also have another 'location' leased inside the upper floors of the Telus tower as well.