Quantcast
Hot water tank issues - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot water tank issues

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Not entirely legal (assuming it's gas), but it's pretty easy to replace a water tank. Especially if you buy the exact model you're replacing.
    I would dare say that there's many a home owner that's moved around some natural gas pipes or electrical stuff as well, legal or not.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fun Update #3: pilot light and burner will light up fine (as per update #2), but do not stay lit. They go out within 15 minutes of lighting up. Have done it a couple of times now, same result.

So, I'm thinking it's not some random air bubbles in the gas lines, as neither of my fireplaces have had teh pilot lights go out. Seems like it must be a problem with that gas valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

double post.
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 11-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride
    oooo

Gas valve or flame sensor Extra - no way it's air in the lines. I would clean and then if that doesn't work replace the flame sensor first. Then get a gas valve if that doesn't fix it.

These things aren't rocket science, they are about as simple as it gets.

There is no need to replace your hot water heater. People always replace stuff that doesn't need it.

The plumbers make all their money doing this, my neighbour just paid over $1000 because his blower motor quit in his furnace. We built at the same time so have identical furnaces. The furnace tech sold him a new flame sensor and "ball bearing" blower motor (which was gone). He sold him on how much better ball bearing motors are than bushing ones and he ended up spending over $500 alone on the motor.

Mine went 2 weeks later and I went to Amre supply and picked one up for under $200.00. It took me about an hour to swap it out and the things been running fine since.

Don't get hosed, just fix it yourself.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by speedog

I would dare say that there's many a home owner that's moved around some natural gas pipes or electrical stuff as well, legal or not.
    Oh, I know. But before you go telling someone to do something illegal, you should let them know it is in fact illegal.

Liability and all that...

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Same sealed type unit as you where I had to remove the whole burner assembly. I cleaned the thermocouple first, but ended up having to replace it. Home depot has 24" Honeywell thermocouples for $8.99. Now it's working like a champ

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Oh, I know. But before you go telling someone to do something illegal, you should let them know it is in fact illegal.

Liability and all that...
    Quite true but it needs to be noted that I did not once tell someone to do something illegal.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Originally posted by blitz
    Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Same sealed type unit as you where I had to remove the whole burner assembly. I cleaned the thermocouple first, but ended up having to replace it. Home depot has 24" Honeywell thermocouples for $8.99. Now it's working like a champ
    ^This, for all the hassles you can end up going through this is probably the cheapest thing to change out on your tank, with the exception of having to remove your burner assembly to do it. If you have an voltage meter that reads millivolts and a couple alligator clips you can test the thermocouple to see if its producing the proper millivolts.

But in all honesty just buy the damn thermocouple, install it, and go from there.

ExtraSlow:

For clarification, as per the City of Calgary website:

Do I need a permit to replace a hot water heater?

A permit is only required when the size of the tank has changed and there is an alteration to the venting system or gas-line.
    Source: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/I...ce-Centre.aspx

So, if you do need to replace the water heater assembly, as long as NO changes are made, you can legally do it yourself.

As for your problem with the existing heater, I ran into this issue myself a couple of years ago. It was after a windy night, like the one we had last night, and my pilot wouldn't stay relit.

Replaced the thermocouple and it has been running fine ever since.

It seems like the old one was just barely hanging on, and as long as it stayed lit, it was fine, but once it was extinguished by the strong winds, it just packed it in.

As someone else has quoted, about $10 and an hour of your time and you'll likely get a few more years out of it.

However, this would be a good time to start setting aside a few bucks every month so that when the water heater does fail (or the furnace, or a stove, or washer and dryer, etc), it won't be a huge financial burden.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Oh hey guys. Thanks for the multiple suggestions to replace the thermocouple. Unless I'm way out to lunch about how that part works, that wasn't it.

Anywhoooo, new tank is in. Got a recommendation for this guy who is a gasfitter for his day job, and he does this kind of work for spending money in the evenings. He brought a helper with him to carry it in and out. They took about two hours total. The vent needed shortening, and it is an awkward and tight location.
    He was polite, punctual, and tidied up after himself. A step up from the regular "handyman" guys you get from kijiji etc. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me.

Price was $1100 for a 60 Gallon tank. I'm cool with that price. I'm well aware that some places might have charged less. I also know at least three places in town that charge lots more.

Commence arguing and telling me I wasted $1100 on something that could have been fixed with an $8 part . . . now!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

You should replace the thermocouple on your new tank, just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Well problem solved. Lots of good advice here, but bottom line, you do what's best for you. There's stuff around my home I wouldn't attempt to do, and other things I'd do in a heartbeat.

A 6 year old John Wood, I would have replaced the thermocouple, or even the gas valve before replacing the tank, but then I'm a DIYer. And while we can all sit and type what we think is wrong, who knows, could have been something totally different.

We just replaced 2 John Wood tanks that were 14 years old. A co-worker told me we were crazy, just wait till they fail. IMHO they were on borrowed time and 40 gallons of water can do some damage. I have a leak detector tied in to my automation system so I'd get a text, but still....

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Oh hey guys. Thanks for the multiple suggestions to replace the thermocouple. Unless I'm way out to lunch about how that part works, that wasn't it.

Anywhoooo, new tank is in. Got a recommendation for this guy who is a gasfitter for his day job, and he does this kind of work for spending money in the evenings. He brought a helper with him to carry it in and out. They took about two hours total. The vent needed shortening, and it is an awkward and tight location.
    He was polite, punctual, and tidied up after himself. A step up from the regular "handyman" guys you get from kijiji etc. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me.

Price was $1100 for a 60 Gallon tank. I'm cool with that price. I'm well aware that some places might have charged less. I also know at least three places in town that charge lots more.

Commence arguing and telling me I wasted $1100 on something that could have been fixed with an $8 part . . . now!
    Honestly, I think you did good. Based on what you've described I don't think its the thermocouple either. On top of that, you're going to like having more hot water when your kids start taking 30 minute showers.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

[BCommence arguing and telling me I wasted $1100 on something that could have been fixed with an $8 part . . . now! [/B]
    Ok

Fun Update #3: pilot light and burner will light up fine (as per update #2), but do not stay lit. They go out within 15 minutes of lighting up. Have done it a couple of times now, same result.
    This is exactly how a worn thermocouple presents itself.

Oh well, you got a good price on the 60 gallon tank.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OK, while we're doing this, let's educate me, and anyone else who may happen across this thread.

Here's how I thought it worked.
    - pilot light keeps thermocouple warm, thermocouple allows gas valve to turn on burner. malfunctioning thermocouple would have no effect on pilot light, but would not allow main burner to fire.

Here's how you guys seem to be saying it works: Thermocouple must be functioning for pilot or main burner to fire.

Do I at least understand what you are saying?

My Ride

Here's how you guys seem to be saying it works: Thermocouple must be functioning for pilot or main burner to fire.

Do I at least understand what you are saying?
    Yes.

If the thermocouple isn't working, the pilot will not stay on either. That's why you must hold down the manual pilot valve while lighting the pilot, until the thermocouple heats up, so it will keep the pilot running.

(In a old style conventional tank anyways, I can't speak for any new fangled electronic gizmos)

For a 60 gallon that's not a bad price at all.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by suntan
    For a 60 gallon that's not a bad price at all.
    I thought so. Seems like 60's are pretty expensive just for the unit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I got a written quote from Pete the Plumber this morning, in response to my email from Friday. First thing that tells me is that you should phone if you are in a hurry.
    They offered me a 50 gal for $910+GST and a 60 gal for $1150+gst.

Home Depot quoted me $1125 +GST for a 60 gal. So that seems to be the going rate for that size.

I'm really happy with the guy I used. As mentioned, anyone who wants his contact info can PM me.

Also, on the thermocouple issue, sounds like different people have different understanding of how that part works. I'm starting to think it could have been my problem. However, I'm the kind of guy that can't stand to replace a part until I know for sure that part is the issue. That's a rabbit hole that can suck up a lot of time and money.

Plus, I'm not really that handy, I usually manage to wreck things when I start trying to fix them, and that's not helping. Anyway, hopefully this is as educational for someone else as it has been for me.

Not to go too far off topic here, one thing you can do to prolong the life of the tank itself is replace the anode rod from time to time. The anode rod stops the tank from rusting, if you have soft water the anode rod will corrode at a faster rate. My hot water tank was a few years old when I moved in and that was 16 years ago. I put the endoscope in the tank a few months ago and there was a mirror finish inside with no signs of rust. The anode rod is, in my opinion the best kept secret that plumbers have. 8 years and you can guarantee the rod is gone and the tank is rusting, change the rod ($27) every few years or as needed and the tank will last forever. I believe this is one of the easiest/cheapest/biggest bang for the buck that every home owner should know but doesn't.

All you need to change the rod is an impact wrench, four minutes of your life, some Teflon tape, a TV with the game on. Tell the wife what you're doing and she easily accepts a 2-3 hour job. Throw in some beer and with any luck your wife will bring you some snacks...

Just my two cents on water heaters.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast