Quantcast
Value of a small business - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a small business

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Value of a small business

Looking at an opportunity for a group of investors, who may be interested in purchasing a local small business. It's an industrial service business that's been in operation 40 years by the same owner. I know the invstor guys know how to do this, but I want to educate myself. How would you value this small business?

- Owner operated with 2 unskilled laborers
    - Steady work, lots of repeat business, but likely no long term contracts.
    - Some expensive capital equipment, all fully owned, but nothing custom or unusual. Probably $500k to buy new replacements
    - Doesn't own the land/shop he operates out of.
    - Good potential of increasing the business, as he hasn't been putting much effort into that.
    - No local competition, although several companies in other cities that do this service.

If his Annual revenue is X, his costs are Y, and the depreciated value of his equipment is Z, what's his business worth? Thanks in advance, beyond university.

1X revenue at best, lower if there's substantial debt.

Is the business at least break even?

Does the business want to sell?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The owner wants to sell, and is open to consulting back if required.
    Does better than break even.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not much IMO. The key issue is owner-operator means once he’s out of the picture you’ve lost the main guy doing the work. Lots of your existing clients may not be happy to have different people show up for the next service work.

Also it says 2 unskilled workers, can they do the owners job or are they just shop grunts that help out here and there?

End of the day you’re basically just buying the equipment and the client list since you’re losing the main worker when he leaves. What’s your plan? Train the other 2 workers? Or can you find a replacement guy to do the work? If he’s the only one doing it in Calgary, is finding a replacement guy going to be hard?

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Value is in the client list/contracts. Largely depend on his ability to convert his current business into formal contracts. How to value future cashflows if theres nothing agreed upon? Handshake deals with the owner himself are moot once hes out of the picture.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The owner wants to sell, and is open to consulting back if required.
    Does better than break even.
    1X then. Anything higher than 1.2X is being extremely generous. Pay 50% now, keep him on at salary, don't pay him the rest of the buyout until he's fully trained two successors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    Value is in the client list/contracts. Largely depend on his ability to convert his current business into formal contracts. How to value future cashflows if theres nothing agreed upon? Handshake deals with the owner himself are moot once hes out of the picture.
    Zero value. Zero. You as the buyer have to do the work. So what are you paying him for?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    1X then. Anything higher than 1.2X is being extremely generous. Pay 50% now, keep him on at salary, don't pay him the rest of the buyout until he's fully trained two successors.

- - - Updated - - -

Zero value. Zero. You as the buyer have to do the work. So what are you paying him for?
    Paying for any long term contracts that are in place and will stay with the business after it sells? You put zero value on this? Interesting....

OP says no long term contracts in place.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm liking the thoughts here. Agree that handshake deals with an owner who is leaving are not worth much if anything. That being said, there's a certain amount of inertia to industrial suppliers. It's often a pain in the ass to find, qualify and start-up with a new supplier.

And this guy has little local competition, I happen to know because I was looking for an alternative to his services and came up empty. Shipping parts to facilities out of town is a pain in the ass too, but people could do it.

EDIT: I should clarify, right now I THINK there are no long term contracts, but I will obviously verify this. The glimpse I have into his work says each "job" is a a new informal agreement.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

OP says no long term contracts in place.
    I would edit my comment, but reading > me so I will leave it as a reminder for all who tread after me.

No contracts, No skilled labourers. Im agreeing with Suntan on this one. The seller sounds like he has the ability to generate a good income for himself, but has he created a good, saleable business? Doesn't sound like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm liking the thoughts here. Agree that handshake deals with an owner who is leaving are not worth much if anything. That being said, there's a certain amount of inertia to industrial suppliers. It's often a pain in the ass to find, qualify and start-up with a new supplier.

And this guy has little local competition, I happen to know because I was looking for an alternative to his services and came up empty. Shipping parts to facilities out of town is a pain in the ass too, but people could do it.

EDIT: I should clarify, right now I THINK there are no long term contracts, but I will obviously verify this. The glimpse I have into his work says each "job" is a a new informal agreement.
    Gotta crack open those books, look through his emails, papers, whatever. No contracts on paper = no money for him.

Never do handshake deals. You never want to get into a he/she said with this sort of shit. Have lawyers that have experience in M&A draw up the paperwork.

Investment only or do we need steel toed Blundstones?

Business sounds like my ex's family business but then again... Like every small, family run business.
    Creative accounting and not worth more than the last successfully bidded contract.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, we have "real" investment guys, and real lawyers who would do the actual deal. This group knows their shit. I'm advising on a couple technical aspects, but I don't want to be uninformed about the valuation part of the deal. Always want to add to my toolbox, you know?

Might end up with steel toed blundstones too mike. you want a pair?

My Ride
    *The First*

I believe it's usually sold on a multiple of EBITDA, isn't it?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It really depends on the type of business.

But yea if you are going to quote multiples I’d do some kind of cash flow (EBITDA, DACF, AFF, FCF or whatever jumble of letters gets you Randy) over revenue.

Revenue multiples only fly in “tech” where no one actually makes any money.

All of the above is just lazy proxy for discounted cash flow analysis anyway, usually by people who don’t know what their cost of capital is.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

For these sort of small owner operated businesses revenue works better because they're sucking everything out of the company as a dividend/wage, so the only way you can convince them to sell is to give them that amount.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is all super helpful. you guys are the best.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Pay 50% now, keep him on at salary, don't pay him the rest of the buyout until he's fully trained two successors.
    While I certainly have no personal experience in this type of thing, when my aunt and uncle sold their trucking business a decade ago (for 7 digits numbers) the written deal was that they receive 50% up front, and were paid the rest as monthly salary for one year (from a fund). That was enough time for them to train the new owners/staff, and make good solid connections between their existing clients and the new people.

There were some problems, but after a year everyone was happy and the business was a well oiled machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

If it’s pipe coating I’d consider buying the business myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    While I certainly have no personal experience in this type of thing, when my aunt and uncle sold their trucking business a decade ago (for 7 digits numbers) the written deal was that they receive 50% up front, and were paid the rest as monthly salary for one year (from a fund). That was enough time for them to train the new owners/staff, and make good solid connections between their existing clients and the new people.

There were some problems, but after a year everyone was happy and the business was a well oiled machine.
    Yup those kinds of arrangements are very common.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast