Quantcast
Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by leftwing
    From the CPS application form. Doesn't say anything specific to drugs, but I assume drugs would fall under 'criminal activity'.

REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
    Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
    Canadian citizen, landed immigrant status or permanent resident status (living in Canada or the United States for three years).
    At least 18 years of age.
    Class 5 Driver's license (non GDL) with no more than five demerit points.
    Meet medical/health and fitness standards. Medical requirements self-assessment
    No unpardoned criminal convictions.
    No criminal charges pending before the courts.
    No criminal activity within the last three years both detected and undetected.
    Strong credit rating.
    One year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
    Please note that these requirements are a prerequisite and you must meet them to apply. Also, remember that having the minimum requirements allow you to apply, but does not necessary mean you will be successful in our competitive hiring process.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
    Minimum of two years post-secondary education and/or consistent employment history.
    Volunteer experience in the community.
    Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
    Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
    Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc., and basic typing skills
    There is a whole section pertaining to drugs in the personal disclosure form of the application.

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

Yup I was just curious.
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Tough job to have, dealing with internet retards (which I am sometimes am in regard to Police matters) is the least of the shit you'll deal with, but you obviously know all that.

Good luck, if you're already a good person by nature you will be a good cop if you're successful.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Geez, I step away from the forum for a couple weeks to study, and all of a sudden, my thread is back...

Just a bit of info for those of you worried about me passing the physical testing. I am a varsity wrestler, and I have completed many test which are almost exactly the same as the police standard physical tests, and I have always passed with flying colours. I have never been concerned with passing the fitness tests, even as I am now stepping back from the competitive side of wrestling, I am maintaining fitness through biking at least 10-15 k every other day and swimming lengths in the pool, plus weight training regularly.

In addition, I have read over the security question sections of the application, and I am a very clean, no red flags should be found in the application, as I tend to think about my actions and have often chosen to side on the air of caution, because of my future goals.

And to those who asked why I haven't applied to fire. I was planning to, and I might still apply to fire. However because of my asthma and the treatment I have used for the last ten years (symbicort) which is banned for some reason, I have to go through extra hoops just to apply (O2 testing and reassessment for symptoms). If I don't make it on to the force after a few tries, I will then consider fire, as it is still within my interest of helping people.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Make sure you are training more on the anaerobic side than the anarobic. Thats where most fail.

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    And to those who asked why I haven't applied to fire. I was planning to, and I might still apply to fire. However because of my asthma and the treatment I have used for the last ten years (symbicort) which is banned for some reason
    Symbicort is a Corticosteroid. Under the right conditions and dose it can cause a positive PED test.

Good luck with the process
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Make sure you are training more on the anaerobic side than the anarobic. Thats where most fail.
    I assume you mean, train Aerobic (promoting endurance) not Anaerobic (strength training/short distance running)?
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Try not to be in the news for excess force causing death or injury. Hopefully they have courses now to train officers in this regard. We need more educated police

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by zipdoa

I assume you mean, train Aerobic (promoting endurance) not Anaerobic (strength training/short distance running)?
    Hmmm. I thought that looked wrong. Thats how my iphone was spelling it. You need to train more on the anaerobic side. That will get you through the aprep and the majority of recruit training. There are lots of fight scenarios where you need maximum power for short durations.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Hmmm. I thought that looked wrong. Thats how my iphone was spelling it. You need to train more on the anaerobic side. That will get you through the aprep and the majority of recruit training. There are lots of fight scenarios where you need maximum power for short durations.
    Gotcha - that makes sense. I guess officers aren't typically chasing suspects at a moderate pace over long distances!
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
    Geez, I step away from the forum for a couple weeks to study, and all of a sudden, my thread is back...

Just a bit of info for those of you worried about me passing the physical testing. I am a varsity wrestler, and I have completed many test which are almost exactly the same as the police standard physical tests, and I have always passed with flying colours. I have never been concerned with passing the fitness tests, even as I am now stepping back from the competitive side of wrestling, I am maintaining fitness through biking at least 10-15 k every other day and swimming lengths in the pool, plus weight training regularly.

In addition, I have read over the security question sections of the application, and I am a very clean, no red flags should be found in the application, as I tend to think about my actions and have often chosen to side on the air of caution, because of my future goals.

And to those who asked why I haven't applied to fire. I was planning to, and I might still apply to fire. However because of my asthma and the treatment I have used for the last ten years (symbicort) which is banned for some reason, I have to go through extra hoops just to apply (O2 testing and reassessment for symptoms). If I don't make it on to the force after a few tries, I will then consider fire, as it is still within my interest of helping people.
    Fire is a great option, next intake for CFD is 2017 sometime.

If anyone else is considering applying just post a question or PM me. I also recommend this video for the interview.

http://youtu.be/ZlHuVh5mp_M
    So this is the kind of person who's gonna serve and protect us? Seriously these days I see some cops and I wonder how the hell less than 5 of them would get a guy like me in handcuffs if they needed to without the use of weapons. Doesn't life experience count for something? If I could do it all over again I'd love to become a cop, but it seems that dorks who've never jaywalked and worked at Toys r Us thru high school have a better chance than a guy with real world experience, determination and ability to make criminals' lives very stressful and unrewarding.

Originally posted by heavyfuel

So this is the kind of person who's gonna serve and protect us? Seriously these days I see some cops and I wonder how the hell less than 5 of them would get a guy like me in handcuffs if they needed to without the use of weapons. Doesn't life experience count for something? If I could do it all over again I'd love to become a cop, but it seems that dorks who've never jaywalked and worked at Toys r Us thru high school have a better chance than a guy with real world experience, determination and ability to make criminals' lives very stressful and unrewarding.
    Don't be too sure about that - one of my ex-employees became a CPS officer about a year ago at the ripe old age of 33 and I know someone else who is just starting at CPS at the age of 44. Both of them have operated their own businesses and decided that a career change to become a police officer was something they needed to do.

Originally posted by speedog

Don't be too sure about that - one of my ex-employees became a CPS officer about a year ago at the ripe old age of 33 and I know someone else who is just starting at CPS at the age of 44. Both of them have operated their own businesses and decided that a career change to become a police officer was something they needed to do.
    I met a recruiter years ago at my mechanics' shop. Looking through an old shoebox the other day I noticed I still have his card. I swear, I'd give up this garbage hauling bullshit and (sporadic and inconsistent) big money days, and all the headaches associated with running a business in a heartbeat if I could. Pretty encouraging post- I'm only 39, I bet I'm in equal or better shape than most cops, I got my pardon last October, and I have my pal/rpal. Problem is, the 5 years of writing traffic tickets and petty bullshit before I could kick down a drug dealer's door in plain clothes, well the whole reason I went self employed is because starting at the bottom has never really worked out for me.

I am concerned with some of the questions on the pdf too...

My Ride
    Edge

Originally posted by heavyfuel

I met a recruiter years ago at my mechanics' shop. Looking through an old shoebox the other day I noticed I still have his card. I swear, I'd give up this garbage hauling bullshit and (sporadic and inconsistent) big money days, and all the headaches associated with running a business in a heartbeat if I could. Pretty encouraging post- I'm only 39, I bet I'm in equal or better shape than most cops, I got my pardon last October, and I have my pal/rpal. Problem is, the 5 years of writing traffic tickets and petty bullshit before I could kick down a drug dealer's door in plain clothes, well the whole reason I went self employed is because starting at the bottom has never really worked out for me.

I am concerned with some of the questions on the pdf too...
    As I stated earlier, I went to an information session--that was last April actually. The one recruiter said that most people they recruit are between 30-35, iirc. The oldest they've hired is 50. I would think that having run your own business would be great experience. My wife had a client several years ago who got in at 40. And having been military, it only took a few years and he now trains new recruits on weapons.

From what the recruiters said and what cops I've talked to said, you spend the first 5-7 years on patrol but that involves everything. That way you know what specific area you would like to work in, although one cop I talked to just loves being on patrol and he's done it for 10 years.

If you are interested, go for it. The worst thing that could happen is they say no. But they might say try again in a year. Or you might just get in. Don't live to regret not having even applied, if it's something you think you would like to do.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Originally posted by zipdoa

Gotcha - that makes sense. I guess officers aren't typically chasing suspects at a moderate pace over long distances!
    Its kind of dated, but this video shows what kind of things to expect in training:-

https://youtu.be/FDH6-X8I11Q

My Ride
    Edge

What are the chances...seriously?

My wife and I went to a CD release concert last night and who else is there but the guy I mentioned in my previous post--a former client of my wife's and his wife. So my wife introduces us and we get to talking. He said he was actually 43 when he joined and, as a firearms instructor, said that they have a 49-year-old going through training right now.

Then this woman walks up and I notice that she's quite fit. He introduces her as his former boss, now an inspector. So she starts talking about the job and says I should apply because they really need mature people with life experience and to not discount any work experience.

They both said they wouldn't do anything else, that it is such a good career.

It was a little bit crazy but pretty cool to have that chance to talk to them.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

What does CPS define as "Criminal Activity"?

Would it be something as simple as having a few beers in the parking lot after a hockey game? Using company supplies (I.e washer fluid) in your personal vehicle? Or are we talking full on bank robbery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast