Quantcast
Guaranteed Basic Income - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guaranteed Basic Income

You've got $1400 a month Canadian that's automatically deposited into your account every month with no obligation.

So go to some warm spot in another country where rent and food are extremely cheap?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I know a few "kids" (hard to call them kids when they're pushing 30) that just live at their parents' summer cottages year round

All they have to do is buy food when their parents aren't there... and put gas in the boat and sled, and have enough leftover for a case of beer every week... they managed just fine sucking on ei before... now it's probably going to mean a new sled every other year!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

In my opinion, any parent that lets there grown children live at home is exploding the problem. If you let the "kid" live at home for free, you're negatively impacting society just as much if not more than the "kid" is. Now I'm not talking about people going through school (and even that's up for debate), but the educational portion of their life is done it's time to get the hell out of the nest.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    NC1

That's pretty sweet. It definitely covers the basic stuff.

$300 property tax
    $600 condo fee
    $300 gas, insurance
    $200 internet, phone, power

Go work some odd jobs to get food money or charge the gf $1k rent. I think I can actually retire lol no kids and just lounge around for the next 50 years
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost

$300 property tax
    $600 condo fee
    $300 gas, insurance

Go work some odd jobs to get food money or charge the gf $1k rent. I think I can actually retire lol no kids and just lounge around for the next 50 years
    Ya but then the gf will want the Mincome. That means she'll be hanging around the house all day annoying you

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Manhattan

And I don't buy this automation killing 90% of jobs crap for a minute. 100 years ago we would've all been farmers but as technology comes along it creates a lot more skilled jobs. We just don't know what those jobs will look like at this point.
    It's not just that automation takes current jobs, it's that it limits future jobs as well.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Seth1968

Ya but then the gf will want the Mincome. That means she'll be hanging around the house all day annoying you
    Gotta master pull out game

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That looks like a sustainable chart!
    http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1800s.html

AMAZING.

The first Oktoberfest.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

And I don't buy this automation killing 90% of jobs crap for a minute. 100 years ago we would've all been farmers but as technology comes along it creates a lot more skilled jobs. We just don't know what those jobs will look like at this point.
    Bury your head in the sand all your want. It won't change much.

$300 property tax
    $600 condo fee
    $300 gas, insurance

THAT'S IT MAN, I'M SPENDING ALL MY RRSP MONEY!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Adoption of Autonomus cars will impact 8% of employment. Even if 1/2 found or kept to service these robots, you are still looking a 4% unemployment increase. We all see Calgary went from 4% to 10% unemployment and see how bad it has been for this town, this will have same impact.

Also if you are looking at driving a cab to fixing robots, that's quite a large gap of knowledge and skill. So most likely, cab and truck drivers displaced by robots will need to find other low skill jobs or stay unemployed. And if a robot technician can fixes 1 robot per working day, you are still displacing 20 cab drivers. That's 1 to 2 jobs gained for every 20 lost.

This is just 1 industry. There will be others.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-25-2017 at 04:28 PM.

I don't think people realise too that "we don't know what these jobs will look like" is kind of an already too late statement. The automation of the world is happening now, it's not a problem we'll have to deal with in the future, we are dealing with it as we speak and new fields are simply not emerging.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by J-hop
    I don't think people realise too that "we don't know what these jobs will look like" is kind of an already too late statement. The automation of the world is happening now, it's not a problem we'll have to deal with in the future, we are dealing with it as we speak and new fields are simply not emerging.
    It is an interesting thought experiment if nothing else. Off the top of my head:

postal work force and admin related to it - automated
    freight and delivery work force and admin - automated
    fast food restaurants - 100% automated (there is no reason to have any employees at fast food places as far as I can tell)
    car manufacturing plants - 85% automated (if they aren't already)
    journalism - with the schlock that is passed off nowadays as "professional" writing, 95% automated easily
    taxi drivers - 100% automated

Arguably, you can completely get rid of wait staff and bartenders as well, unless people care for the human element. I'm 50/50 on that, as I find most people nowadays have zero social skills to get an indication service is required, or even more importantly, when service ISN'T required. If I'm eating the food, its probably to my satisfaction. If I'm sitting with a scowl on my face and the food pushed away, eyeballing you for the past 10 minutes, probably means I have a complaint.

Another area would be taxation, the rules are pretty set in stone, there is no reason that it could not be 100% automated. Tax preparation is a $7bil/year business in Canada.

So we just got rid of how many people?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

So we just got rid of how many people?
    Great West Life just announced 1500 laid off and replace them with 200 tech staff to focus on online client support.

This is a great example of things to come. 1 job replaces 8.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Exactly. On minicome? You're sweeping, picking up garbage, painting buildings, fences, bridges, etc.
    At that point it's not mincome, it's plain old jobs. Which would be great, except then people whine about property taxes and communism

$300 property tax
    $600 condo fee
    $300 gas, insurance

Lol basics, assuming you've already paid off your house and car(s) and have no debt. So about 1% of Canadians.

This ignores any major home repairs, replacing the current cars or major repairs, wanting to do anything more interesting than turning into a couch potato.... I'd give it about 3 years before you and Sugarphreak figured out that being welfare bums is bullshit lol

As far as the truly shiftless basement dwellers that live off Mom and dad, I say good riddance. I already have to deal with too many of these assholes as is. Show up for a week because Dad is trying one last time to get him out, drag his feet, check his phone, sigh heavily every 30 seconds until we send him back home to cry to Mommy that the mean man made him work too hard. These are the jobs that have already disappeared: toll booth workers, night watchman at unimportant places, putting stickers on machines, jobs that literally only required a warm body so the absolute dregs could go hide from their parents for 30 hours a week.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:34 PM.

After paying my taxes, I certainly hope my payment goes to the biggest pot head around and I can recoupe some of my money via pot stock gains.

Call it hedging.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast