Quantcast
cps allegedly beat up old man in traffic stop - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: cps allegedly beat up old man in traffic stop

Originally posted by lilmira
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3407779/ca...-traffic-stop/

case closed?
    What a chump, 500 bucks and an apology...CPS won this one.

Originally posted by jabjab

What a chump, 500 bucks and an apology...CPS won this one.
    Not necessarily. Given his comments on not being able to afford a lawyer, he doesn't know much about the legal system. See my previous post.

Originally posted by Seth1968

Not necessarily. Given his comments on not being able to afford a lawyer, he doesn't know much about the legal system. See my previous post.
    It's unfortunate, was hoping a lawyer would have jumped in to take this case but at the same time the legal system isn't as squeaky clean as everyone thinks. An Alberta lawyer wouldn't risk his name of challenging the police as they need each other and judges for bigger cases where people pay big bucks.

Exactly.

Let's face the truth. You're delusion if you think the typical cop's motivation to becoming a a cop is to "Serve & Protect". A couple of true motivators?

1) Low self esteem typically caused by authoritarian parents and or bullies. As an adult, they retaliate against the pain by entering into a field in which they are the authoritarian aggressor.

2) Oddly similar, yet somewhat opposite to the above. That is, a childhood bully that enters the field so he can continue to be a bully.
    Really? Any substantive research or data to back this up?

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by VTEXTC
    It's not a job for everyone. And it's a job that we all need people to do regardless of individual's acting badly while in a uniform. I don't buy his explanation either.

I found it odd CPS wanted to trash this guy in the media by painting his past in a negative light and others here used it to excuse what happened. I guess with the apology and cps reimbursing this guy that people can maybe accept things got a bit out of control??

Maybe phil can let us know how often cps pays for impound charges of people they arrest. Do police apologize to every criminal they arrest?

Originally posted by gwill
    I found it odd CPS wanted to trash this guy in the media by painting his past in a negative light and others here used it to excuse what happened. I guess with the apology and cps reimbursing this guy that people can maybe accept things got a bit out of control??

Maybe phil can let us know how often cps pays for impound charges of people they arrest. Do police apologize to every criminal they arrest?
    Don't forget they shook his hand after, let's all be friends after I kick the shit out of you

Originally posted by VTEXTC

Uhh..the real world?

There would be no benefit for any study group to pursue such a notion. Furthermore, even if they empirically proved it, the results would likely go unpublished.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Exactly.

Let's face the truth. You're delusion if you think the typical cop's motivation to becoming a a cop is to "Serve & Protect". A couple of true motivators?

1) Low self esteem typically caused by authoritarian parents and or bullies. As an adult, they retaliate against the pain by entering into a field in which they are the authoritarian aggressor.

2) Oddly similar, yet somewhat opposite to the above. That is, a childhood bully that enters the field so he can continue to be a bully.
    Not sure what American TV shows you've been watching, but based on my (limited) experience being with the RCMP - that is not the typical case with their members.

I can tell you though that while most members start out OK - the job and the BS politics (RCMP) change many people for the worse unfortunately - but I disagree with the statements above.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-27-2017 at 10:02 AM.

I find it quite hilarious the amount of people in this thread trashing CPS.

I would love to see you walk in their shoes for the day, see the worst of the worst that humanity has to offer, and still stand on your high horse.

Did they go a little overboard on this case? Maybe... Are there situations in the states where the officer is a little trigger happy? maybe... But when your life is literally on the line, day in and day out, when you are HATED by every single member of the public (until they need you of course), those tendencies may creep into their reactions.

Is it right? no, can we recognize their may be an issue? yes!

The psychological toll that would take on an individual would be immense.

There are over 835,000 police officers in North America (according to google). If there are 30 cases a month in North America of justified police misconduct (estimate based on news) that equates to 360 cases per year... Divide that by 835,000 and you have 0.0004% of the ENTIRE police force acting out of line. That is likely a better ratio than any of the companies you work for, your peer groups etc...

At the end of the day, if I was an officer, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to ensure I returned home at the end of my shift.

Phil, and Traffic Cop, I truly respect what you guys do, and thank you for your service.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Further to btimbit's comment about dealing with an out of control woman, he's bang on. One of the worst nights I had as a security guard was dealing with a 120 lb native woman with long nails. The optics of it are always terrible, because joe public tends to side with the woman, regardless of the crazy shit that she did to cause the end result. Thank god this was before camera phones became so common. Everyone wants to be the world star type bystander these days when it's just a case of a shitty situation dealing with someone who won't cooperate.
    I was jogging through a park in Vancouver (Central Park) when I came across 2 RCMP guys trying to take down this 100lb female crack head that was causing a disturbance in the playground (kids, families).

The two members were unable to, at first, get her on the ground - I watched for about 10 seconds and then I started jogging towards them in order to help but about the time I approached them she ended up face in the grass.

She was a complete nut job and was able to resist about 400lbs of force being applied.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Originally posted by vengie

I would love to see you walk in their shoes for the day, see the worst of the worst that humanity has to offer.

When your life is literally on the line, day in and day out, when you are HATED by every single member of the public (until they need you of course), those tendencies may creep into their reactions.
    No one forces them to have to endure any of that.

No one forces them to have to endure any of that.
    Just imagine the state of society if they chose not to be thankful someone is.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by vengiecoiety.

Just imagine the state of society if they chose not to be thankful someone is.
    That's an interesting thought experiment.

Valid arguments could be made that the resulting vigilantism would result in a much more civil and safe society.

Originally posted by jabjab

I agree, they think they are above the law. I've witnessed too many situations where the police attitude is worse of then a juiced up bouncer standing at electric avenue.

With the use of social media now you see so many videos of police misconduct (most of them in the states) but there are cases in Canada as well. If police want a better reputation they should get rid of the bad apples instead of protecting them. If they don't then we assume all of them are bad, similar to a farmer who if he doesn't get rid of his bad apples the whole crop will eventually be bad.

There also needs to be more training for CPS, they are involved in many drug overdose deaths where they can't tell the difference of someone paranoid on drugs or if they are trying to resist arrest causing fatal heart attacks. I feel that they always resort to violence or force for EVERY situation and they place themselves in these situations where they are being judged for their amount of force.

Stop hiring nerds that were picked on and start lifting weights and feel like they have something to prove.
    Lol. Ok. You clearly haven't a clue about what training is received, our hiring practices, nor any real world experience with this. It's easy to talk smack when you are behind the comfort of your keyboard and can armchair QB it, but until you actually know how we are trained and what we deal with in this situations, then your poorly formed opinion is just that.

I won't even address this talk of many drug overdose deaths, etc. I'd like to see the numbers to back up your case, especially when it comes to our specific interactions with people exhibiting signs of ED or drug induced psychosis and why we used force, if at all. I feel confident you don't have that information, but when you do get your hands on it, we can chat.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

That's an interesting thought experiment.

Valid arguments could be made that the resulting vigilantism would result in a much more civil and safe society.
    For sure, but the counter argument could be made just as easily.

Its a slippery slope. For now, lets just all be happy its not something we need to worry about.

Originally posted by Rat Fink

You actually believe this garbage you spew?
    Yes. I'm certain I believe my beliefs.

Uhh..the real world?

There would be no benefit for any study group to pursue such a notion. Furthermore, even if they empirically proved it, the results would likely go unpublished.

Why would the research go unpublished? I'm sure there are hoards of MA and PHD students at some of the more revered post secondary institutions around the world who would love to study the social-psychological backgrounds of people who are involved in certain vocations.

Originally posted by phil98z24

Lol. Ok. You clearly haven't a clue about what training is received, our hiring practices, nor any real world experience with this. It's easy to talk smack when you are behind the comfort of your keyboard and can armchair QB it, but until you actually know how we are trained and what we deal with in this situations, then your poorly formed opinion is just that.

I won't even address this talk of many drug overdose deaths, etc. I'd like to see the numbers to back up your case, especially when it comes to our specific interactions with people exhibiting signs of ED or drug induced psychosis and why we used force, if at all. I feel confident you don't have that information, but when you do get your hands on it, we can chat.
    Ok Phil, I don't mind talking "smack" to you in person. My stance does not change regardless if I'm behind a screen or in front of people. Without getting into details, I've personally known two families who had to deal with death inquires regarding overdoes. In both cases the faces and body parts were bruised significantly. After each inquiry a suggestion is made for awareness of drug induced behaviors. These lives could have been saved if they knew what to do.

Other than personal experience and the few incidents you hear on the news it is hard to get more information as a lot of this is private record and doesn't get much media attention.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast