Quantcast
Why can't I run 87 in my car?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't I run 87 in my car??

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default Fuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Does anyone know what the fuck they're talking about?? All I want is better fuel mileage....I've changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter had the vacuum system checked, changed my tire pressure....and then FINALLY....someone suggests lower octane fuel, and it works!!! A huge improvement in mileage!!!
    BUT THEN I'm told I shouldn't be running regular gas in my car, that it's going to clog up my CAT-verter. They suggest removing it. I call around to arrange that, THEN I'm told that my O2 sensor will start throwing codes if I take out the Cat-verter.
    Why can't I run 87 in my car?? The tag inside the fuel door says I can....why are Volkswagen service people telling me I can't run 87 octane in my car when the Volkswagen people who BUILT THE FUCKING CAR say I can?!?!?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Ummmm....go by the factory sticker/recommendation as opposed to the opinion of some asshat at the service desk.

EDIT - Yes, removing cat will throw codes. It's unnecessary in your situation, I wouldn't consider it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue boy

-_-

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Personally, I would never run a turbo car with a low grade gasoline.

With that said though, if it is working better for you then I don't *think* you're doing any harm. If the car notices a problem then it should retard your timing. This would (as far as I know) potentially result in lower power but no damage.

Anyone want to confirm that?

My Ride
    E46 M3 Turbo, JZS161, UCF30, BP9, S30

i'm going to go ahead and guess that this is an owning lol
    Haltech Factory Trained and Elite Certified / AEM EMS and Infinity Factory Trained Tuner / ECUTek Factory Trained Tuner for FRS-BRZ and R35 GTR / HKS Pro Tuner / Apexi Power Exel Certified Tuner

Proud to be a "hater" that defends Authenticity

go lower
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Personally, I would never run a turbo car with a low grade gasoline.

With that said though, if it is working better for you then I don't *think* you're doing any harm. If the car notices a problem then it should retard your timing. This would (as far as I know) potentially result in lower power but no damage.

Anyone want to confirm that?
    Confirmed.

It should just pull timing (KR) and if you still missfire that should throw a CEL. I still wouldn't do it in my own car. Cutting back on power and potentially exposing your engine to more stress than nescessary all to save a few $'s.

My Ride

Originally posted by 94boosted

Confirmed.

It should just pull timing (KR) and if you still missfire that should throw a CEL. I still wouldn't do it in my own car. Cutting back on power and potentially exposing your engine to more stress than nescessary all to save a few $'s.
    If factory octane rating for a turbo engine is 89, presumably it's tuned to run perfectly fine/safe on 89. No?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    EF8

the only way it would affect the o2 sensor and throw any codes is if its after the cat, and i doubt it is.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

The owners manual should tell you what grade to run. If you're manual says 87, and you run 91, you'll lose power and get worse mileage. Same goes the other way.
    Vettel's #1

as mentioned kenny you really need to hit up CVD's (or eurodrivers, or dasdubbers) forums and get someone to VAG com your car, something isn't right with your car. A simple OBD scan won't tell you shit unless your car is throwing a code a VAG com scan and data log is really the only way to go with these cars.

with the vag you can actually test the quality of your cat with a simple diagnostic process it runs which compares outputs from pre and post cat O2 sensors while revving the car to a certain rpm, it will also tell you if one of the O2 sensors is faulty (ie: laggy response, erroneous readings etc).

VAG cars are very touchy, so it could be any number of issues. I wouldn't run anything less than 91 on a 1.8T but that is just me. And as I said I am getting similar mileage to you in my 24v VR6 which I always run premium on, so something is definitely wrong.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Doesn't the 1.8T have a recommended 91 octane and minimum 87 octane rating?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Fuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Originally posted by Kennyredline
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/268206/ho...-your-thread-/

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Fuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Originally posted by Kennyredline

Why can't I run 87 in my car?? The tag inside the fuel door says I can....why are Volkswagen service people telling me I can't run 87 octane in my car when the Volkswagen people who BUILT THE FUCKING CAR say I can?!?!?
    What does the owners manual say? My Audi 2.7 twin turbo manual says run 91 octane, but also says I CAN run 87 octane, it just isn't recommended. If you run 87 for awhile (ie years), expect the cost savings to be nullified by maintenance.

What brand of gas do you use? Certain ones are shit for mileage (ie Husky,Mohawk, Tsuu T'ina Gas Stop), some are better (Shell).

Also look into chipping it (tuning). My APR tune gives me both more performance AND better fuel economy (at the cost of emissions, long live no Alberta exhaust regulations!)
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-18-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 10:17 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Personally on any forced induction engine, I'd be running 91+. On high compression NA motors, they recommend 91 but plenty of guys on the G35 forums say they only use regular. Personally I wouldn't but apparently the ECU will retard the timing if it senses any knocking.

What's quite interesting though is the new F150 Ecoboost engine. A 3.5L V6 turbo'd engine that is recommended from the factory to run on 87! It's no slouch either, I imagine the tuning capabilities of that engine are going to be staggering.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

If factory octane rating for a turbo engine is 89, presumably it's tuned to run perfectly fine/safe on 89. No?
    Yup your right. I've just never seen a Forced Induction car that didn't recommend or need 91+.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by msommers
    It's no slouch either, I imagine the tuning capabilities of that engine are going to be staggering.
    Direct injection y0, its a wonderful thing. Makes detonation extremely hard to happen as there is literally no fuel to detonate earlier then you want it to.

My Ride
    changes every year

Its a mechanicss thing I think... If you have 91 and detonate it, you expect the same volume of detonated gas regardless of the original source of the gas. It also tends to burn cleaner. So when you detonate 87, there is less volume of gas produced. The other part of it is that trhe car is sold to a world wide market.

gas mined in canada may be different from stuff sold in poland. So you have to really try to set a standard. 91 guarantees a min level of filtration, and a universal adoption. 87 can be some fucked up mixture pulled from tanzania and you would have no clue. Could be alcohol derived. 91 just sorta establishes a solid base line. More or less lol

My Ride

Originally posted by 94boosted

Yup your right. I've just never seen a Forced Induction car that didn't recommend or need 91+.
    Good point (well, minus this Ford apparently...), never really thought about it beyond what he said in first post about car label saying it's ok.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast