Quantcast
Why Don't Wagons Sell? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't Wagons Sell?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by spikers
    I love wagons.

I miss the '80s. Dad and Mom would take me on long ass road trips, I would just crawl into the back of the station wagon with G.I. Joes, lego, books, whatever, or even grab a snuggie and pillow and crash. Made things go so much faster, until the seatbelt law came into effect.

But personally, I hate sedans. I love me a sexy hatchback or wagon. So much more room for cargo, which is great when you want to go camping, or a road trip, or if you have dogs / whatever.

I would buy a wagon 10/10 times over a regular sedan or coupe.

One of my favs was a mazda 6 sport wagon.
    [/img]
    I'm honestly shocked to hear that from you, lol. I expected you to be a die-hard truck/SUV fan.

My panzer wagon is f'ing awesome, I completely renovated my basement using it. Can fit 10' boards with the hatch closed, and 12'ers with it open (no passenger in the front of course, lol). Plywood and gypsum on the cargo rack.

That being said, I'm in the market for a truck non-the-less, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wagons are awesome. I think a lot of people are obsessed with image, and for some reason, an SUV is seen as a "capable" vehicle, but a wagon is not.

I own a wagon and a mini-van, and I think either of them is better than an SUV for my purposes.

These days, most SUV's are unibody construction, so the line is being blurred somewhat, but to my eye, those crossover vehicles look like shit. I'd take a wagon any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Wagons are awesome. I think a lot of people are obsessed with image, and for some reason, an SUV is seen as a "capable" vehicle, but a wagon is not.

I own a wagon and a mini-van, and I think either of them is better than an SUV for my purposes.

These days, most SUV's are unibody construction, so the line is being blurred somewhat, but to my eye, those crossover vehicles look like shit. I'd take a wagon any day.
    If it was only about utility everyone would drive minivans. They are considerably more useful than SUV's or wagons. There's that soccer mom stigma associated with them because every family should have one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I gotta say, I was a little concerned when we bought our Odyssey, but I love that thing now. It's crazy good on the highway, it'll cruise aong at 130 all day long and has power to spare. That thing is awesome. I get some flack from my buddies about it, but I don't really care. Who do I need to impress?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by heavyD

If it was only about utility everyone would drive minivans. They are considerably more useful than SUV's or wagons. There's that soccer mom stigma associated with them because every family should have one.
    I'd like to know things the minivan can do that a wagon can't do (other than load more passengers within the law).

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I gotta say, I was a little concerned when we bought our Odyssey, but I love that thing now. It's crazy good on the highway, it'll cruise aong at 130 all day long and has power to spare. That thing is awesome. I get some flack from my buddies about it, but I don't really care. Who do I need to impress?

I always hated minivans, but mostly from the drivers/stigma. I bought our company flight crew mini-van just to flip, and having been daily driving it for a month now. If I had kids, I would definitely be buying a new one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Two kids in car seats, two adults in the front, and a huge cargo area behind. easy to park, great fuel economy, and a couple times a year, I actually do unfold the rear seat and put six people in it. Super happy with mine.

My Ride
    RSTi

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Volvo wagons getting no love? I do have an eye for SAAB wagons as well. OK I am admitting when I see someone driving a newer wagon, I have to bump their IQ by 10 points right away. If it is a Volvo, 15 points. I saw a Jag wagon (older model) the other day, not certain about giving a bump, the jury is still out. My IQ bump/subtract method no doubt lowers my IQ a tad, so be it. I once had to use a steak knife to cut myself free from a very much jammed seat belt. The full bladder dictated my McGiver side was on lockdown. 'Nuf said.

Acura offers their wagon in the USA and not Canada. Acura gone off the tracks again.

Diesel, awd, comfy seats and a wagon.... a vehicle I can keep for a decade or more.
    I had my eye on the V70 R that was for sale on here but it sold too quickly, love those cars...the Saab 9-3 wagons are great too.

Originally posted by flipstah

I'd like to know things the minivan can do that a wagon can't do (other than load more passengers within the law).
    Way more cubby-holes and hidden compartments in a mini-van compared to a wagon.

Have owned a couple of Chev Astro's (mid-size van); older Honda Wagon in the past, and now a mid-size SUV and small 4 door hatch (wagon?) and have to say that with younger kids the van was the winner. The move from the Astro to our Trailblazer was shocking in how much less storage space was available and I suspect many wagons would be the same. Modern mini-vans offer even way more utility than our Astros did but like others have said - there's just that stigma that others have spoken to already.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I think it comes down to the different generations. My parents hated wagons but it's pretty understandable when their selections were wood paneled land yacht's back in the 70's.

The 80's minivans were all the rage.

The 90's everything sucked, i mean Volvo always made wagons but Volvos were wussy vehicles architects drove. The BMW and Merc wagons were not much better. Hence why minivans continued to increase in popularity.

I feel our generation, driving in 2000-2010+ (drivers that can afford 40k+ vehicles now), we hate minivans because thats all our parents drove them but relize the need for practicality with families, lifestyle etc. which is why wagons seem accetable now.

Minivans are essentially to our generation what wagons were to my parents generation.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Mibz
    I'll just leave this here:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/callawa...2014-corvette/

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog

Way more cubby-holes and hidden compartments in a mini-van compared to a wagon.

Have owned a couple of Chev Astro's (mid-size van); older Honda Wagon in the past, and now a mid-size SUV and small 4 door hatch (wagon?) and have to say that with younger kids the van was the winner. The move from the Astro to our Trailblazer was shocking in how much less storage space was available and I suspect many wagons would be the same. Modern mini-vans offer even way more utility than our Astros did but like others have said - there's just that stigma that others have spoken to already.
    And asides from all that...

Sliding doors, so convenient. Ford should put them on the Flex. CUV/Minivan crossover, lol.

Shooting brake is played out

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Sliding doors, so convenient. Ford should put them on the Flex. CUV/Minivan crossover, lol.
    I will concede that the sliding doors are a godsend. Other than that, the cubby-hole storage argument isn't that strong but I don't have kids so what do I know?

My Ride
    oooo

Minivan is in a class of it's own for flexibility. They are perfect utility vehicles but horrible if you enjoy spirited driving.

A real SUV like a Suburban / Expedition / Armada etc are also in their own league and are essentially trucks.

Now a Murano, escape, sportage and all those other cross overs are essentially just wagons with lift kits. Not much more room in them and you give up any sort of decent driving for ride height.

I LOVE wagons, we had a Passat 4Motion wagon before the E60 for my wife and it was a machine. Great in the snow, lots of room and with nice summer tires you could throw it into some corners and it handled pretty well. To me x-over suv's are the same as minivans, functional but really not nice to drive.

For some reason most people don't like wagons and the hate for minivans runs deep. But then they will say how awesome their FWD Jeep Patriot or Rav4 is while they laugh at your wagon.

M5 Wagon please.

Last edited by sillysod; 07-26-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Mazda 5.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by sillysod
    M5 Wagon please.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    4Matic FTW

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

People do buy wagons. My insurance (state farm) classifies Acura MDX and RDX as wagons.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

It's the North American mentality of "go big or go home". North Americans are typically bigger and fatter and like their personal space. I doubt many wagons could accommodate all three very well.

Having owned two wagons before (a Camry and an Accord) I'd say they have their merits vs an SUV. Would I ever get one again? You bet. We only upgraded to a mini van because someone we knew that works at a dealership knew somone looking for an Accord wagon and he got us a smoking deal on an Odyssey that we couldn't refuse. The major advantage of a van over a wagon is the third row and volume. Splitting the kids into two rows on a long road trip is a godsend.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast