Quantcast
Re: gramophone - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Re: gramophone

My Ride
    Ram

Default Re: gramophone

Noob at this. Looking into getting into the hobby of collecting vinyl. Any tips as to what to get and what to stay away from? Also not sure about pricing and also where does everyone get their vinyl from?

My Ride
    FD1

Ive starting collecting about a year ago as well, I found that pricing really depends on what you want to buy ( ie. new vs old stuff)
    I usually go to recordland in inglewood for vinyl
    but I'm curious to know where everyone goes as well.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Depends on what you're looking for specifically.

1. Recordland in Inglewood, The Inner Sleeve in Marda loop. These places are for if you want to look for something specific, it's all sorted etc etc. Marked up.

2. garage/estate sales are great for various of genres. Usually listed on kijiji for some of them. Sunday garage sales are another good source. Cheapest route.

You want a Gramophone or a straight LP player (with the horn thingy or not??)

My Ride
    Car

Generally new issue vinyl is around $30-40 and up if it's a special edition.

I usually buy mine from Melodiya (other half of Phoenix Comics). They've got most of the new stuff you can want (that includes the reissues). Also, scored Scott Biram's "Somethings Wrong" for $20 there after scouring the planet for a copy...and the only option before then having been a $200 listing on ebay

Used vinyl, kijiji is a good one (got all the Zeppelin LP's for $50 a couple years ago ).

Also Hot Wax in Kensington- was there once, I can't remember but they either specialize in classic rock, or vintage...something like that.

Can't remember the name but theres one on the west side of 14 st sw, around 12th ave I think. Lots of used selection there. You can't miss it, the buildings covered in old records.

There's one upstairs, above Clive Burger. Mostly vintage there I believe.

Any time I'm in Edmonton I try to stop at the flea market on the northside, there's a guy who's got damn near everything you could imagine.
    Last edited by woodywoodford; 04-22-2014 at 07:03 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So hipster.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Meloydia on 17th is good
    Heritage on 11?th is good
    Hot Was on 14th is meh
    Sloth = Never Been
    Drugstore in Bridgeland = Never been
    Recordland = Never Been

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by firebane
    Meloydia on 17th is good
    Heritage on 11?th is good
    Hot Was on 14th is meh
    Sloth = Never Been
    Drugstore in Bridgeland = Never been
    Recordland = Never Been
    A receiver is needed with a PHONO jack to allow a turntable to be used or a preamp can be substituted. You can pickup a good little preamp from Long & McQuade for $50 or so.

Turntables are all over the place but don't over spend and stick with a good name and check for parts in case something needs to be replaced.

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    So hipster.
    i was gonna ask where do they get their mustache wax after hitting the garage sales
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    You want a Gramophone or a straight LP player (with the horn thingy or not??)
    Yeah I read gramophone I think of the cornucopia shaped speaker type, when wanting to start collecting vinyl I think a turntable. Idk if there's a nomenclature difference though.

But anyways another place is London Drugs, I'm not into it but my brother and I got a turntable for the old man for xmas, a good amount there but it's all brand new stuff.

Looking at my dad's collection that had sales stickers, this vinyl/hipster trend really made the price of them skyrocket. I hadn't listened to vinyl since I was a kid and never really paid attention to how good it was, when my dad played one of his old records it was like *mind-blown* @ the quality, I understand why the old school die hards love records now.

Or you can always revert to doing this

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by n1zm0

Yeah I read gramophone I think of the cornucopia shaped speaker type, when wanting to start collecting vinyl I think a turntable. Idk if there's a nomenclature difference though.

But anyways another place is London Drugs, I'm not into it but my brother and I got a turntable for the old man for xmas, a good amount there but it's all brand new stuff.

Looking at my dad's collection that had sales stickers, this vinyl/hipster trend really made the price of them skyrocket. I hadn't listened to vinyl since I was a kid and never really paid attention to how good it was, when my dad played one of his old records it was like *mind-blown* @ the quality, I understand why the old school die hards love records now.

Or you can always revert to doing this
    I just got my turntable from Kijiji, cheap enough. Also HMV in the Core has some selection too at good prices, could be a good place to check out over lunch or something.

I honestly don't even care about the quality or "experience" of the vinyl. I just figure if I'm paying for music, I'm gonna pay for something that torrents don't offer - and that's gigantic, collectable artwork and something I can shelf and collect.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Alan cross (big time record collector and longtime canadian radio personality) actually recommends reissues (180-190g if possible) over vintage records from the early-mid 70's until the late 90's as the quality of vinyl went down with the oil crunch of the 70's and declining sales if that medium.

Don't cheap out on a turntable or you will damage your records, ikea has some well designed cab it's that hold lp's perfectly, and don't store them bear a heat vent.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Just do what Harvey Specter would do... Get a Pro-ject RPM 1.3 Genie 3. Its like $500 which is decently priced. You then need speakers and a receiver.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by n1zm0

There is a difference. A turntable is for people who like vinyl records, and a gramophone is for extreme hipsters, antique collectors, or people who want to damaged the shit out of their vinyl records, lol.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Just picked up a used pro-ject turntable and I am back in the vinyl
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless