Quantcast
Self Monitored alarm system? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Monitored alarm system?

My Ride
    12 audi a5

Look into EnvisaLink, your current system might allow you to do the self monitoring that you would like.
    http://www.eyezon.com/

Originally posted by hampstor
    I had the same thoughts a few years ago. Currently pay 16/month with another alarm company. At the end of the term ask for a discount to remain on the monitored service. The monthly fee during the contract term amortizes the equipment cost over the term. Unless you're getting new equipment/upgrading, continuing to pay 35/month means you're just giving them extra margin.
    Care to share which company you are using at $16?

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by ronaldo

Care to share which company you are using at $16?
    United. I double checked the $ and I pay $17.80 w/ tax (16.95 pre tax).

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

You guys that are paying less than $50 a month, did you pay for the equipment? We had Vivant install their tstat, camera doorbell, some motion sensors, and door sensors, and although we didn't have to pay for their actual hardware we are paying about $70 a month.

My Ride
    rally pig

just bumping this as i got emails from my home IP camera at around 9:40am, saw the pictures and saw a stranger inside our living room with a bear spray.
    called the cops and was on the phone while describing the guy walking around our house.

cop came to see me 10min ago telling us that they caught the guy

heading home right know to make a statement with the cops.

2 dlink IP cam for 50$ each, proved useful after 2 years of us.

now though im contemplating on installing an actual alarm

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by taemo
    just bumping this as i got emails from my home IP camera at around 9:40am, saw the pictures and saw a stranger inside our living room with a bear spray.
    called the cops and was on the phone while describing the guy walking around our house.

Good job to CPS

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Nice, what IP camera system are you using that gives you email updates?

My Ride
    rally pig

2x D-Link DCS 932L setup in the mainfloor and on second floor.
    i set them up so it emails me for motion detection and i can also use mydlink app to access the camera from iphone or a computer.
    i was actually on the phone with 911 while watching the guy approach the camera and rip it off

my computer and 2 laptops were found swimming in the bath tub along the 2 ip cameras.
    fortunately nothing else was destroyed and dog is ok

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You have a dog too? How big? Would think that they'll pick an easier target.

My Ride
    rally pig

yeah a pug, aggressive but its not like her bite will do you any harm lol.
    fortunately the guy just locked her in the basement. btw suspect got in through one of the basement windows.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I guess a pug can look very harmless. Putting stuff in the bath tub? Are these the guys they caught?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

This guy gets it.

This is my setup, along with a Smartthings hub and window/door sensors. The camera activates when a sensor is compromised, or motion is detected, but only if no one is home. (geofencing) Obviously I have a small time advantage in who I can call, but calling 911 will only cost you a minute or so, and makes this setup waaaaay more effective than a monitored alarm.

I can tell you right now, in all my time with CPS, I've yet to respond to an alarm company initiated call of a b&e in progress and get a bad guy. Monitored alarms don't get dispatched to us for 20-30 minutes in average, as your alarm company wants to do all it can to avoid paying a false alarm charge. Instead of setting up a decent system to avoid this, they will take their chances with your property and safety so they can avoid paying money.

The only types of alarms that go straight through to us are hold up and panic alarms. Home and business alarms go through a monitoring company, regardless of whether you want us dispatched immediately or not. My suggestion is to get a self monitored alarm, and call us yourself. Numerous times I've gone to those, and sure enough, shithead is still there.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Always providing such great info and insight! Thanks Phil! Self Monitored it is for me!

Time to start looking into this self monitored, thanks!
    Should I start with the Smartthings Starter Pack? Or build my own over my network?

Any suggestions to get started?

Happy to be of help!

I bought a Smartthings pack a ways back, and they JUST released v2 which, IMO, is superior. So that said, the packages aren't quite available yet, and they are working on something to be released to the general public. The packages will save you a little bit of money, but obviously that is contingent on you using everything in it If you don't, I would piece meal it and just buy the hub and then anything that is Z-Wave or Zigbee as those two protocols (I guess is what they are?) are the ones Smartthings uses.

The software is pretty good and the app is really easy, and it all integrates with IFTTT. I've been really happy with it since I've tweaked it. Lots of good recipes out there for IFTTT as well, so you don't have to do too much in that respect if you have really simple needs. I really like it so far!

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

When I was with United, I bypassed the rent-a-cops too. My alarm went straight to CPS. I had occasion to test it one day when a relative dropped by and forgot the code. Cops took 90 minutes to arrive.

I'm not trying to shit on your choice, honestly. I just want people to understand what they are spending their money on, and what it doesn't do for them. If you are happy using your equipment to catch the perpetrators, that's great. Personally, that never had much value to me.
    As a former call taker with 911. Bang on! 90minutes, pretty good actually.

Whereas with fire response, once smoke sets off the alarm, we come!

My Ride
    Grimace

Where can you buy that hub besides there website to avoid USD$^^^
    I had read about the second version which got me interested as I am looking to possible put in some POE cameras. I just got a nest thermostat though so I was also looking at that camera, but obviously the monthly fee is $$.

Surprisingly, the Microsoft Store carries them, and their prices are the same as USD except in CAD. Pretty good deal if you ask me! They seem to have a pretty good selection too.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Unless someone is in danger the cops aren't coming. When I worked at a Starbucks 2 minutes from the downtown station I called 911 to report someone actively stealing things from our store ( stood up at the shelves and was putting things in his pockets). They said a unit was on its way. 3 pm.

2 full hours later at 5 pm a couple of cops lazily strolled in and asked which way he went

We stopped giving 60% off drink discounts to on duty officers shortly after that incident.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

Thanks Phil, I will probably check them out once they have the new hub. One of these kits would be pretty nice:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.312530700
    Just added another door for garage and temp/humidity and moisture sensor then combine with nest in ifttt even though I hate that app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast