Quantcast
Quartz countertops? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quartz countertops?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Quartz countertops?

Any experiences with quartz countertops? Were they expensive? Good/bad compared to other options?

Looking at getting quartz for my kitchen counters/island and three bathroom vanities.

Thanks

My Ride
    550i, X5

In my experience quartz is usually parallel pricing to granite. I prefer the look of granite though. Quartz is much more plain/standard looking, no crazy designs etc cause they are man made, as opposed to straight out of the ground like granite.

Quartz is super hard rock though, very durable. Pretty much zero maintenance. You don't have to seal it like granite.

That's my 2 cents
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

I upgraded this year. I like the uniformity, hardness, and maintenance free qualities in quartz. Price is roughly the same or within a few dollars per sq-ft.

Granite can be all right if you can pick your slab, otherwise you might get some natural ferrous swirls that look like a big rust stain.

You can save a lot of money if you do your own plumbing also. Most places I called didn't include plumbing or even the sinks in their quotes, so make sure you ask.
    Last edited by phreezee; 06-17-2015 at 02:16 PM.

I just recently went through this and yes, they are expensive*. I got a lot of quotes sitting at the house if you'd like some details. It was for a humble 10x10 kitchen with island. The quartz selected was CeaserStone Calcutta Nuvo. Prices ranged from $5,500 - $7,500. The markup on this stuff must be massive as I found some of the sales people to be just a pushy as used cars sales.

*If you are willing to try a Chinese manufacture of Quartz the price drops by 40%. This is the route we'll most likely go. Was quoted $3,000 + tax for Polarstone which is very reasonable in my opinion.

I've had both, I'm indifferent. I prefer the natural look to a nice piece of granite to the uniform man-made quartz (purely subjective), but quartz gives you a bit less to worry about. I've never had a single issue with my granite though so I wouldn't really care what my next home has either way.

Quartz is nonporous and more flexible, but it can also discolor with prolonged sunlight exposure. Granite will show seams more easily. You can stain them both if you are negligent.

My Ride

The property is going to be a rental in 3 years, so maybe quartz isn't a great option? What other types of countertops are there (not laminate, looking to upgrade ).

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by A790
    The property is going to be a rental in 3 years, so maybe quartz isn't a great option? What other types of countertops are there (not laminate, looking to upgrade ).
    I have quartz in my condo and it's been pretty solid so far.

I don't think you have a lot of options with non-laminate counter tops...you could do a wooden slab or some planks but I would expect more maintenance and less durability out of that. Perhaps a slate stone/tile look on a wooden base?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think if the choice is quartz vs granite then quartz is better for a rental considering maintenance and hardness. basically its harder for them to fuck up.

Due to the heterogeneous nature of granite in my experience it tends to crack and chip more easily along weak spots near sinks, edges.

If i could do it over i would get quartz. I'm OCD and my granite never seems clean no matter sealing, maintaining etc due to the heterogeneity.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quartz would be a great option. No maintenance required. What else do you want?

My Ride

Originally posted by killramos

I think if the choice is quartz vs granite then quartz is better for a rental considering maintenance and hardness. basically its harder for them to fuck up.

Due to the heterogeneous nature of granite in my experience it tends to crack and chip more easily along weak spots near sinks, edges.

If i could do it over i would get quartz. I'm OCD and my granite never seems clean no matter sealing, maintaining etc due to the heterogeneity.
    Well, I'm open to any option that isn't laminate. We want to install undermount sinks/etc. and want a nice upgrade from the laminate we've had for the last 5 years

My Ride

Originally posted by roopi

Quartz would be a great option. No maintenance required. What else do you want?
    Staining/etc. might be a problem? I have no experience with countertops outside of laminate, so I'm really wading into the unknown here.

Any information is certainly appreciated (mad Googlin' happening over here right now lol).

You could always go with a Tile counter top if you wanted to try something different, but personally I'm not a fan of the surface gaps with grout. I'm sure Dave knows more about your options there than I do.

For a rental it's hard to beat stuff like Arborite. Might not be your first choice if you're living there first, but at least it's cheap and durable because there is a 100% chance of future renters not giving a single f*ck about counter top maintenance and care. Our rentals have Arborite, and the renters have even managed to destroy that, but at least it's not going to be anywhere near $5-$10K to replace haha.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by killramos

That's why we went with a "leather finish" on our granite. It doesn't have that mirror shine, so looks clean all the time. It feels neat too.

My Ride
    550i, X5

Staining/etc. might be a problem? I have no experience with countertops outside of laminate, so I'm really wading into the unknown here.

Any information is certainly appreciated (mad Googlin' happening over here right now lol).
    Quartz shouldn't stain, you don't even need to seal it. Granite has a higher likelihood of staining. I have heard the sun fading thing before though.
    Based on the fact this will be a rental, I would go quartz for sure over granite. I reseal my granite every 6 months, I don't think you want to be doing that in a rental.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Had granite for about 7 years at my parents (kitchen), and 2.5 years with quartz at my place (kitchen & vanities). No maintenance whatsoever for either, and no stains or other issues.

The problem with granite is that it can look dated after a few years, depending on the granite you choose and the patterns/colours in it. It works well for more traditional style homes.
    Quartz on the other hand is a bit more timeless, since it's simpler and less in-your-face. Overall it works better with cleaner modern styles.

My Ride
    Hatred

I've had 3 day old coffee cup rings wipe right off my quartz counters. It's amazing how easy it is to keep them clean.
    -U

Just put Quartz in my new house. It cost a little more than granite. I got this stuff - SantaMargherita Victoria. I can ask my builder who did the install for you if you want pricing. I am very happy with the look and durability.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.

For a rental, check out some textured arborite/laminate(feels like shale, etc). Gives a richer look for little cost than standards laminate. Plus you can update the colour as well. And then update your sink/faucet to something more modern/fancy, but likely will still have to go with a surface mount sink. Check out the lowes, depot, rona for finding the right look.

If this was for the place you are calling home, my vote is quartz.
    Last edited by jeffh; 06-17-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Honestly, if this is a rental I wouldn't be spending the real money until I was moving in personally or selling. Even though you could get some good renters, you could still get some shitty ones and they fuck your stuff up. I would rather spend a few hundred now and go a few years and upgrade later than drop a few thousand now and maybe again in a few years...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast