Quantcast
Educate Me on Tonneau Covers - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Educate Me on Tonneau Covers

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I'm going with the Cap-it F-Type Cover.

Exact same as the BakFlip flagship F1 model but better warranty.

http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/t...it-truck-cover
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Originally posted by 94boosted

haha the first thing (and only thing so far) I hauled was the tonneau cover in it's box, I was so proud of myself using the truck for truck stuff But really it's only got 400km on it give me a break haha
    I'll check back in a few thousand km then!

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by codetrap
    So, with the undercover.. if you're gonna lean it against the truck, there are 3 little screw heads on the cover. You might want to put some rubber pads over them to prevent them from marking the truck.
    On my truck I find in the flipped up position the only thing it contacts is the high center mount brake light. I put a couple of the rubber pads on the cover in that spot and nothing comes even close to touching the painted areas.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I would be interested to know from you guys that have these things if they are flipped up most of the time or you leave the box covered most of the time....

When I camp my gen set goes in the box which is taller then the box so it would need to be flipped or ... Or hauling bikes ... I want one on one hand but I think I would not use it much ....

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

It's covered 95% of the time.

Only flipped up when hauling something as the covers obscures the rear view.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by redline
    I would be interested to know from you guys that have these things if they are flipped up most of the time or you leave the box covered most of the time....

When I camp my gen set goes in the box which is taller then the box so it would need to be flipped or ... Or hauling bikes ... I want one on one hand but I think I would not use it much ....
    From what I've learned you sound like the prime candidate for a roll up type cover

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Or a real topper. I'm selling one . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I did end up with a Cap-it F-Type T. Cover. (BakFlip F1)

So far it's great. Perfect fit, easy peasy install, great to use.

Overall, really nice.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Bump!

I went to ATD and picked up an Undercover Flex as well, for those of you that has been using it for awhile, how did it do during the winter? Any issues with opening/closing?

My Ride
    Taco

I had a Retraxone roll up cover on my last truck bed. It was awesome that it takes 2 seconds to close/open and didn't ever freeze up in the winter for me but I park in a garage. It was also really nice to lock at any point on the bed - so if you have some 2x4's up against he tailgate you can still slide the cover to within inches of the tailgate. That's definitely helps when hauling stuff in rainy weather or keeping loose items mostly secure on the highway.
    It was pretty weak though. Mine cracked and I would be hesitant to put more than a 10 lb item on top of it. The unit also takes up a ton of space IMO. It turns a 5'5" bed into just less than 5'. That actually pissed me of a lot when hauling certain things.

I have had a couple... and now a bakflip HD...

Bakflip is nice in comparison to Vinyl because that it can fold completely back, but in comparison... it leaks more, is subject to hail damage and requires the tailgate to be closed first.

IMO the Vinyl one was more than adequate.

I think the Revolver X2 is the best compromise of the two.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Clever
    Bump!

I went to ATD and picked up an Undercover Flex as well, for those of you that has been using it for awhile, how did it do during the winter? Any issues with opening/closing?
    I park in a heated parkade so I cant really comment on ice build up over time but I did not have any issues.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    I have had a couple... and now a bakflip HD...

Bakflip is nice in comparison to Vinyl because that it can fold completely back, but in comparison... it leaks more, is subject to hail damage and requires the tailgate to be closed first.

IMO the Vinyl one was more than adequate.

I think the Revolver X2 is the best compromise of the two.
    Unfortunately my truck just got $5K in hail damage. Undercover flex survived with none.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

I park in a heated parkade so I cant really comment on ice build up over time but I did not have any issues.

Unfortunately my truck just got $5K in hail damage. Undercover flex survived with none.
    very interesting... guessing the undercover flex is a better product than bakflip then?

but I like the concept of the revolver... nothing to dent, adjust to what you need and you don't have to keep lifting up the darn tailgate...

My Ride
    LNF

We have 3 UC flex's at work and they all freeze up in the winter from ice, especially on the tail gate, happens mostly from washing.

If you wash the truck, flip open the cover and let the truck dry. Then after a few hours, put the cover back down and its good to go!

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by r3ccOs

very interesting... guessing the undercover flex is a better product than bakflip then?

but I like the concept of the revolver... nothing to dent, adjust to what you need and you don't have to keep lifting up the darn tailgate...
    I think I've settled on the Revolver X2 for my tonneau cover.

I was debating on the X2 or the MX4. they both allow you to close the tailgate without opening the cover which is pretty important to me. they both allow the tail gate to open remotely without any issues.

the big difference to me is that the MX4 covers up the whole back glass when open. I'm not sure I like that.

my concern about the X2 is longevity with the vinyl top. how long will it last? is it durable enough for our winters?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I've got a Truxedo Deuce on mine. I wasn't into a soft cover, but there's no seams to let dust or water in and that was the biggest thing for me. I get a little bit of dust in around the tailgate but that's it. I bought plugs for the stake pockets too to try to keep some dirt and water out.

I don't know what it would be like if you wanted to use it half open though. It's just velcro down the sides so it might flap behind you like a cape driving down the highway if you don't roll it up all the way. I don't think that will be a problem for me, but I guess we'll see. $660 installed.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

The wife wanted me to get a tonneau cover for my truck for our upcoming road trip. I was originally going to wait a bit to see if we need it since good ones are not cheap, but it seems my hand is kind of forced now. I have spent the afternoon doing some research and I think I am set on the Undercover Flex. However, there seems to be a wide range of prices listed on local retailers' websites ($999-1200). Are the retailers usually open to moving their list prices? or do you really need to know someone there in order for them to give you a better price?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

hey gaiz!

So with the hail storm, I am getting a buyout on my damages, and I am looking to get a new tonneau cover. Looks like I am getting the Bakflip G2.

Best price for it that I can find is on Amazon for $1130 to my door.

Anyone know a cheaper place? Seems like a lot of money...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by cloud7
    The wife wanted me to get a tonneau cover for my truck for our upcoming road trip. I was originally going to wait a bit to see if we need it since good ones are not cheap, but it seems my hand is kind of forced now. I have spent the afternoon doing some research and I think I am set on the Undercover Flex. However, there seems to be a wide range of prices listed on local retailers' websites ($999-1200). Are the retailers usually open to moving their list prices? or do you really need to know someone there in order for them to give you a better price?

Originally posted by spikerS
    hey gaiz!

So with the hail storm, I am getting a buyout on my damages, and I am looking to get a new tonneau cover. Looks like I am getting the Bakflip G2.

Best price for it that I can find is on Amazon for $1130 to my door.

Anyone know a cheaper place? Seems like a lot of money...

Did you guys try Auto Truck Depot? Speak to Alex and i'm sure he can match prices. They are selling the Bakflip G2 for $1106 right now, and I paid 1025 for my Undercover Flex. Some guys have posted cheaper prices for the exact 2 tonneau covers in page 1 or 2 of this thread.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

+1 for Alex at Auto Truck Depot, he's s good guy to deal with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast