Quantcast
Have a bike in garage since 2013, not sure what to do - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a bike in garage since 2013, not sure what to do

My Ride
    ISF | R1

Default Have a bike in garage since 2013, not sure what to do

Hey all, been here a long time (well not really), but have not posted before.

Anyway, I've had an R1 since 2013 sitting in my garage ever since I saw so many of my friends getting bikes and licenses. They all wanted to go riding with me, so I thought, what the heck, might as well give it a try.

I know I know, idiotic move on getting a litre bike as a first, but aesthetics > *.

Flash forward to today, May 10th, 2016, and I believe I've put on less than 1km on the bike. I am still on the original tank of gas that the bike came with as well.

Over the years, I've tried and tried to learn how to ride. First off, some friends told me to learn balance by using a regular bicycle. Just ride around the block they said, that should help you understand how going on two wheels feels like. Some just told me to “get on the bike and just go”. I never felt confident enough though.

I would sit on the bike in my garage and attempt to move it back and forth. I’m only about 5’4” @ 115lb, so I was on my toes no matter what. Even rolling forward, I could feel myself toppling over. This really did not encourage me to push forward, plus I felt like my body was too tired.

Then came time to learn how to clutch out to first gear and start actually moving. With limited space in my garage (I basically refused to listen to my friends who said to have someone ride it to a parking lot, etc), I never could fully let go of the clutch and into first gear. I already felt like it was going too fast for me anyway. I felt like having my friends help me take the bike somewhere “safer” would be a hassle, and even though they promised me that they will help me, I always just told them that I was too tired to practice or that I did not want them to waste time.

Eventually, I thought, hey maybe a scooter would be easier to learn on? So I went to my friend's place and tried it out. I saw him ride it (and countless others in Asia) so easily, but when I got on I could not even reach the ground. Something even an old granny in Asia would have no problem with, I was struggling like the fool I am.

I also had some friends tell me to just take a course, but why would I pay another 500-600$$ of my hard earned money to learn something I can learn all by myself?

I’m at a loss here, what should I do guys? Sell the bike? Take a course? Just get on the bike and go? I am considering just to find a 125 and just get the licence and move on with life.

TL;DR: I bought a bike in 2013 and have yet to actually ride it.

SEPTEMBER 14TH UPDATE: I DID IT GUYS!~
    Last edited by WongYue; 09-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

take a course, the end
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah get a smaller bike, take the course though, most of them have a few different styles of bike to choose from so it will also help you figure out a new bike... Which could be a good way to justify the course (save on buying and reselling the wrong bike again) you could also look into lowering the R1

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Am I reading this right? You don't know how to ride a bicycle? Because if that's the case, I'd say start there. If you aren't confident enough to ride a bicycle, you will fucking die on any motorcycle, let alone an R1.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Yeah jumping onto a litrebike as your first is probably a bad idea...i've been riding for 5 years and am quite content on 650 twins

if you really want to, take a course with one of the riding schools on something like a 250 or 300 Ninja or CBR and see how you get along with it...riding is not for everyone

After you've taken the course and potentially got your license, you'd be in a better position to see if you wanna continue with this as a hobby or just cut your losses on the bike and move on

Your height is nothing to worry about, my dad is only 5'5 and he just buys lowering kits for his bikes, they are readily available for the popular bikes

I'm also only 5'8, but have quite short legs, but the R1 is about the most comfortable litrebike for me to sit on, as I have most of the ball of my foot down...i'd imagine lowered, it would be even better

TL;DR, take a course and get your license on a 250/300 and then see if you really wanna keep biking

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Also, i found there to be zero advantage to a motorbike in Canada, since no province lets you lane-split, all the roads are straight and its winter for 9 months a year

My Ride
    ISF | R1

Originally posted by rage2
    Am I reading this right? You don't know how to ride a bicycle? Because if that's the case, I'd say start there. If you aren't confident enough to ride a bicycle, you will fucking die on any motorcycle, let alone an R1.
    I can ride a bicycle, but seems like it doesn't translate over to motorcycles.

Courses are so expensive though

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

You're being an idiot. Take a course. There are lots of things you can be self taught at, and can afford to do poorly. Motorcycling is not one of those things. $500-600 won't pay for one fairing on your first drop on that bike, quit being cheap and go get some quality instruction.

Motorcycling is not a cheap hobby. If you can afford to let a new R1 sit for 3 years, you can afford a damned course.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by haggis88
    Also, i found there to be zero advantage to a motorbike in Canada, since no province lets you lane-split, all the roads are straight and its winter for 9 months a year
    Yeah touring/adventure bikes are king here... Still a great time heading out to the foothills/mountains if you can handle 30min+ of boring highway

My Ride
    This and that.

- the bike is too big for you, especially if you're that unconfident with it.

- take a course/lessons.

- sell the bike and get something smaller/shorter and more appropriate for you.

- i have a 300CC chopper/cruiser style bike that I might consider trading. if interested, give me a shout. Start small and then move up as you gain confidence.

Last edited by know1edge; 12-19-2018 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by shakalaka
    - i have a 300CC chopper/cruiser style bike that I might consider trading. if interested, give me a shout. Start small and then move up as you gain confidence.
    Already!?

My Ride
    This and that.

Lol no harm in testing waters.

My Ride
    Lariat

If you are worried about the cost of a course then I would say sell the bike. Your life is worth a lot more than a few hundred $$.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by WongYue

I can ride a bicycle, but seems like it doesn't translate over to motorcycles.

Courses are so expensive though
    Owns and ISF and an R1 that he hasn't touched yet says that $600 is too expensive for 4.5 hours of classroom instruction and 18 hours of on bike instruction.

Can you learn it yourself, yes. But as with any motorcycle rider I have ever met will say, take the damn course. You will learn so much more, so much faster and be 100x safer on the road for it.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    MR2

I've taken the course and I recommend it, but I don't think it's mandatory. For me, it was mostly just for assuring that I was doing everything the right way, versus second guessing myself anytime something doesn't feel right. Big advantage was learning on someone else's bike, and the insurance discount.
    R1 for a first bike isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Everyone is different. Some catch on quickly. Some need extra time. You definetly won't feel confident on it until after a weeks of daily riding. It takes time to build that muscle memory that you have while driving.

In your case, I would say selling it for a 125 and using the extra money for the course would be your best bet.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Welcome to being one of those riders who goes against the grain and buys too much bike to start with.

Should have started with a smaller 250cc type bike and actually ENJOY riding.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Is it correct to assume that someone on a bicycle can pass you on your motorcycle? That's fucked up son.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Crazy story! you could sell your R1 and use the money towards the course and maybe a different bike (grom! haha jk)

Definitely do the course, you could easily hurt or possibly kill yourself if you have no experience and try to teach/ride yourself. The course covers all the basics and will get you to a half decent level of confidence to get out and about.

I started from no previous experience at all aside from riding a bike as a kid so it was a bit intimidating at first but you will catch on quick.

At the very least you can take the course and decide its not for you. I do agree its expensive but worth every penny! Plus down the road you may never know when you might need to know how to ride a motorcycle! I always thought of the situation where the world depends on me needing to ride a motorcycle to go save the world and I promised myself I wouldn't be caught in that situation where i didn't know how. Still waiting but now im ready!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast