Quantcast
Recommend a tire! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommend a tire!

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by redline

I have LTX AT2 on my truck now and they ROCK but OP said price was a factor and these tires are expensive so i did not recommand them but they are the best all around tire i have used on my truck. they made a world of differnace for towing my trailer...
    If we are comparing with duratracs.. The Michelin are actually only about 20$ more per tire then a duratrac.. Not too bad for a tire that will last a lot longer then a duratrac.

Originally posted by mzdspd

If we are comparing with duratracs.. The Michelin are actually only about 20$ more per tire then a duratrac.. Not too bad for a tire that will last a lot longer then a duratrac.
    wouldn't want to use the Micheline to take backcountry skiing in whiteout conditions

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by r3ccOs

wouldn't want to use the Micheline to take backcountry skiing in whiteout conditions
    I agree but If he wants to do that then he is best off with a duratrac or aggressive AT tire.

Obviously no single tire does it all, and everything good comes with a sacrifice in some other area and something that tries to do it all will do nothing at the top levels.

Personally, here are what I feel are some decent recommendations in their respective areas...

*Note* I am referring strictly to all terrain type tires here...

For tires that are on the milder side of all terrain, that will still have some decent biting edges and siping for some extra snow traction and lighter offroad use, but have tighter blocks and tread design for smoother, quieter ride quality for on road use, check out the Firestone Destination AT, Toyo Open Country ATII, Yokohama Geolander AT G015, Michelin LTX AT2. Really, bang for buck that Firestone does really well in this area, but all of those do this type of job well.

Trying to straddle the middle more with better bite and will cross over to intermediate levels of offroading, but not giving up too much on street manners, have a look at General Grabber ATII, Hankook Dynapro ATM, BF Goodrich AT TA KO2. Again, all these tires do this type of service very similar to each other, but the General is usually the better priced option.

Now if you want something for more severe duty like aggressive offroading, heavy work purposes and maximum bite, but understanding the will be a little more temperamental for regular highway use, I get good report back from clients on the Toyo Open Country CT and the Goodyear Duratrac.

Really, as long as you are choosing a tire based on these types of descriptions, all of these options will do what you ask, but if you expect it all from one tire, it just isn't reasonable. Remember... Opinions are like belly buttons in that everyone has one. People will try and tell you that one thing sucks while something else is awesome, but if you think about it rationally, it is not different than buying a vehicle. If you are comparing a Ford F150 to a Chev 1500 to a Ram 1500, you are going to get people all day long who will tell you why theirs is the only choice and how the others are complete crap, but the reality is all those will do the same job in a similar price point with similar abilities. You are going to decide which one to buy at that point based on subtlties and//or brand biases.

But now, if you now try and compare a Chevy Duramax 3500 to a Ford Ranger, even though they are both trucks they are completely incomparable.

My point being decide on what characteristics are most important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice to get what you must have, and look at those types of tires and try to avoid comparing tires that are completely different animals from what you require...
    Last edited by tirebob; 11-25-2016 at 01:42 PM.

My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA

I had BFG AT k02 on my old RAM, combination of city and highway driving including multiple trips to the mountains in the winter, with and without a trailer....I put about 60k on the tires before I traded the truck off and have nothing bad to say about them, I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

My Ride
    KTM

Thanks for the input everyone, I will post up what I end up with. Doing a bit of price shopping at the moment!

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

BFG's are overrated and I have no idea how they have sold so well over the years.

I run duratracs for the summer but they were quite loud and didn't perform that great in the wet, they have snowflake ratings, but on AT tires I don't trust that rating.

The best overall customer experience I've seen is with Toyo AT2's they wear great over time, quiet for an AT and perform great off road.

The king of truck tires isn't an AT tire. It's the LTX M/S2. Expensive but quiet, great wear and great winter traction.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    BFG's are overrated and I have no idea how they have sold so well over the years.

I run duratracs for the summer but they were quite loud and didn't perform that great in the wet, they have snowflake ratings, but on AT tires I don't trust that rating.

The best overall customer experience I've seen is with Toyo AT2's they wear great over time, quiet for an AT and perform great off road.

The king of truck tires isn't an AT tire. It's the LTX M/S2. Expensive but quiet, great wear and great winter traction.
    for onroad all weather, without a doubt you are right.

I think the Cooper AT/W may be the best winter A/T but it definately isn't a great summer onroad tire.

what is amusing is that the Goodyear SR-A isn't very different in tread patter than the LTX M/S but thats where the compound makes the world of difference

We have Toyo Open Country At II's on our fleet of trucks and with proper rotation we are seeing 70,000+kms out of them. They are very good in the snow as well which was a welcome bonus. I would say they are equal to some Blizzaks I had on prior. These are not a loud tire either.

We are getting them for under $1200 mounted and balanced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2