Quantcast
my idea to fix Crowchild trail - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: my idea to fix Crowchild trail

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Default my idea to fix Crowchild trail

So basically anybody commuting on the west side during rush hour knows how backed up crowchild gets. Considering its the only major highway the west side of the city has, while the east side has deerfoot.

And what makes it so bad is the 4 set of lights starting from 24 ave north
    banff trail
    5 ave
    to the kensington lights in the south part.

soooo I came up with a proposol since I haven't heard anything in the planning to fix this issue for the past few years or ever.

And this is what I came up with about 15 min of photoshop and since I don't get paid through the ass like the alderman, this is the best I can do so no mocking necessary at my beautiful sketch. Although if this idea goes through, I should be compensated.
    May have missed some detours but whatever you get the idea.

Idea is to basically turn these four set of lights off every weekday starting from 7am to 9am and 3pm to 5:30pm and set up detour signs, sorta similar to the lane reversals they have on memorial and construction zones.

So thoughts? would it work? is it too much detouring? or is it worth it to just wait however years longer to get enough money for bridges?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I agree that Crowchild sucks! as i drive it daily....

But to be honest, your drawing makes no sense to me.
    Are the lines routes to bypass lights, so cars aren't waiting?

im confused.

My Ride
    Horse

Are those arrows supposed to represent routes when the lanes are reversed?

Interesting idea but basically you are suggesting anyone sw of the uni trying to head north on crowchild has to add 20-30 mins to their commute?

I used to take crowchild to work, I would hit banff trail around 6:30, never had any issues. Maybe get up earlier?

There are alot worse roads in Calgary then crowchild for traffic that should be addressed first. It honestly is not even that bad...maybe 5-10 minutes added to the trip.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think what's going on here is that there are no left turns onto or off of crowchild, so the lights can pretty much always be green for people on crowchild.

That would kinds work, as long as nobody ever needed to cross crowchild at any of those intersections.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

what he's trying to say is all greens on crow child at all times, and if you are on kensington or 5th ave or 24th etc. to get across you have detours to get you where you needed to be.

My Ride
    Hatred

Seems like a lot of detours for people who wisely chose to live closer to their work so that people in the burbs can make it to work faster...
    -U

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't even take crowchild during rush hour anymore. Tons of shortcuts through the numerous communities inbetween. I can go from Arbour Lake to my office downtown on the worst snow days in 25 mins without leaving my house at 7am.

But ya, crowchild isn't that bad at all compared to other roads. Of course it'd be awesome to cut out those 4 sets of lights, but even as a NW'er I agree that other roads should be prioritized.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

You think Crowchild is bad now, rewind 10 years ago to a time when it was all traffic lights.

It's not that bad at all. I think McKnight Blvd takes the cake for a major artery in dire need of upgrading.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by masoncgy
    You think Crowchild is bad now, rewind 10 years ago to a time when it was all traffic lights.
    Fast fwd a few years to the massive construction that replaced 7 intersections with bridges. That was pure hell for traffic. There were days where I'd be on crowchild for 90 mins just to get from McMahon to Nose Hill!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The map indicates the detours that could be utilized to allow traffic lights to stay green for crow child traffic. It makes sense but memorial would turn into a gong show. The crowchild corridor is too small for any bridges at these intersections. And when i was commuting on crowchild it is bad. 30- 40 min wait. Its a band aid fix.

I've got a an idea for some small area required bridges but i doubt that the city will accept it anytime soon.

Plus if the city ever gets started in the ring road between highway 9 and 16 ave will relieve a lot of traffic on crowchild and sarcee
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I like the idea!

It'll never happen in a million years of course but I like the idea.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The problem with Crowchild NW is fairly straightforward in that you have a freeway that all of a sudden hits three lights in succession in Kensington, 5th and 24 Ave. IMO it's more than an just oversight that the city made this freeway exiting the city at the NW and left three age old intersections in place right in the middle.

Sure I know and have used the shortcuts as well but traffic going through communities isn't really a solution as kids play in communities and any traffic not there specifically for that area shouldn't be there as I had a son hit by a car (survived) this summer on Citadel Drive which has seen traffic increase in a major way and most speeding as people use it as a shortcut now to get to Sarcee Trail and avoid the Country Hills/Sarcee Trail intersection.

IMO these intersections should be a high priority.
    Last edited by heavyD; 11-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It would work for traffic on Crowchild. Then most likely it would clog up 16ave and memorial because of the left turn traffic, both are quite heavily loaded as is during rush hour.

Crowchild in the morning isn't that bad, after work though it is another story. I just find my way around that area .

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by heavyD
    The problem with Crowchild NW is fairly straightforward in that you have a freeway that all of a sudden hits three lights in succession in Kensington, 5th and 24 Ave.
    4 lights. Don't forget 23rd, Stadium Nissan.

A lot of work needs to be done to get rid of those lights, as they're needed to feed McMahon stadium right now. Unless of course you force all traffic to go in through University Drive.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I think an elevated through-fare is the only thing that might work. That won't happen though.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by rage2

4 lights. Don't forget 23rd, Stadium Nissan.

A lot of work needs to be done to get rid of those lights, as they're needed to feed McMahon stadium right now. Unless of course you force all traffic to go in through University Drive.
    I realize it's a lot of work but it's something that will have to be done especially as the city sprawls out further in that direction. If you are heading from the south to north on Crowchild at rush hour it's a gong show to get through those lights as Crowchild stops moving. I rarely have to take that route as I work in the NE but when I do I just shake my head at the madness.
    Last edited by heavyD; 11-24-2011 at 10:06 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

THat's a pretty decent band-aid. It doesn't solve much though. Really, an elevated system for Crowchild traffic would be the best. I honestly think that it would cut down time, but with the amount of traffic merging onto Crowchild would keep the pace very slow-moving. The biggest hurtle to fix this would be coming up with something that doesn't cost $2 billion+. I can see anything going on there for cheap.

I want to see sarcee completed before crowchild. It may take some of the pain out of some other areas, including Crowchild.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

just knock some of the surrounding communities/business down and make it a super highway from bow trail to past 24th...

fuck ittttt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast