Quantcast
Acct 323 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Acct 323

Default Acct 323

Hello All!

Hoping to get some advice from the UofC Business Students. I'm in ACCT 323 right now, and I'm kind of worried. Right now, as it stands, I need to get AT LEAST 75% on the final to get a C- in the course to pass. As for my other course marks, I got 59.5% on the Midterm, 2/9 on Quiz 1, 2/9 on Quiz 2, and 11.69/12 on the Assignments.

Is it probably a good idea for me to withdraw from the course? I have my final 8-11am on April 17, and I have an exam 12-2 on the same day and a 3-5 exam the day before?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

If this is your first time taking the course, study like crazy for the final... if this is your second time around, drop it now.

I took it twice and was in your situation the second time around... studied like my life depended on it (which it kinda did), and I got 85% on the final, good enough for a C+.

My Ride
    girl car

I'm taking it now. It's pretty fkn rough with Lakra teaching it.. I was told to self teach it to yourself through chapter end questions cause the methodology Lakra uses is just confusing. Also, the online quizzes were a gimme. Should have put in a bit for effort to ace those. Goodluck!

Originally posted by GT4rally
    If this is your first time taking the course, study like crazy for the final... if this is your second time around, drop it now.

I took it twice and was in your situation the second time around... studied like my life depended on it (which it kinda did), and I got 85% on the final, good enough for a C+.

That's good to know!! How did you study for it? The problem I have is that I read her notes and get a false sense of security going into the quizzes / midterm. Any tips??

cream, are you doing the end up chapter questions that she recommended in the course outline?

I was able to study like hell for the 317 final and do decent on it. Maybe I can do it again. I could defer my 323 final so I can write it between May 24-26... Only problem might be is that I'm taking FNCE 317 in the spring semester...

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

Just to let you know, ACCT 317/323 are one of the best weeder courses Haskayne has.

No other subject/course in haskayne requires that you stay on top of your shit like accounting. Hell, I've done OPMA/MKTG projects a few days before they were due and got A-'s on em.

I did not take it with Lakra, but my only advice is to practice, practice, practice. Know all the types of questions, methodology and rules. I assume Lakra is using the textbook? I mean if you did challenge questions from all of the sections and can figure em out...you're fine. That's what I did.

I've been in your shoes, I took ACCT 323 twice, there is no easy way out. First time I got a D, second time I got an A.

I have no idea how Lakra tests, but my final was about 6 or 8 long hand written questions.

You should just take the most challenging question out of each chapter that is being tested on, and do that. Mark it and see what you get. You'll know where you are and how much work you need to get there.

Originally posted by magicalpoop
    Just to let you know, ACCT 317/323 are one of the best weeder courses Haskayne has.

No other subject/course in haskayne requires that you stay on top of your shit like accounting. Hell, I've done OPMA/MKTG projects a few days before they were due and got A-'s on em.

I did not take it with Lakra, but my only advice is to practice, practice, practice. Know all the types of questions, methodology and rules. I assume Lakra is using the textbook? I mean if you did challenge questions from all of the sections and can figure em out...you're fine. That's what I did.

I've been in your shoes, I took ACCT 323 twice, there is no easy way out. First time I got a D, second time I got an A.

I have no idea how Lakra tests, but my final was about 6 or 8 long hand written questions.

You should just take the most challenging question out of each chapter that is being tested on, and do that. Mark it and see what you get. You'll know where you are and how much work you need to get there.
    Weeder courses? I never understood how people could ever do bad in these courses. You can check your own answers yourselves...EVERYTHING MUST BALANCE.

If you think Acct is hard you will struggle in Finance 317 sooo bad...a fair amount of my friends failed simply because they are lazy as I am assuming you are in accounting OP.

I took ACCT 323 twice. Id say you should take the final and try your best. You can take it again if you dont get a C- and i've heard that a D is better than a W on the transcript.

My Ride
    girl car

Originally posted by Type_S1

Weeder courses? I never understood how people could ever do bad in these courses. You can check your own answers yourselves...EVERYTHING MUST BALANCE.

If you think Acct is hard you will struggle in Finance 317 sooo bad...a fair amount of my friends failed simply because they are lazy as I am assuming you are in accounting OP.
    That's ACCT 317 that has Cash Flows and Balance Sheets that much balance. 323 is just completely different for some other people.

I heard that if you didn't like 317, you should like 323 better. I despised 317, did well, and despise 323. =(

To OP, yeah do them all, and even going through MyAccountingLab helped for the midterm. Cause I'm sure you just used the 'Help Me Solve it" example to answer all the questions haha.

If you can put in the effort and have enough time to study well for this course, I say stay in it.

If it'll affect your other courses and you don't think you'll do well, might as well drop it. Biggest waste of time would be to have to retake this course even after writing final and you do worse on the other courses because of that.

Do the recommended textbook practice questions and the tutorial questions and get a real firm grasp on the concepts and you should do fine. Lakra is a shitty prof and your time is better spent going through the textbook.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Managerial isn't all about "Balancing" as 317 was.

Finance 317 was way easier to grasp & apply concepts.

Source? Retook 317,323, Finished finance with no issues.

It may just be how peoples brains are wired through.

W looks better than an F. Does it look better than a D? debatable

My Ride
    '09 Mazda 3

If you think 323 is tough, wait till you do 343 with Irvine. You learn a LOT in 343 and the material is challenging to say the least. Accounting 317/323 (but more so 317) are meant to be a reality check for most people. If you put in the time you will do well. Lastly, if you are having a tough time with it I would go and talk to your professor outside of class. Most students do not realize how helpful professors can be outside of class.
    Last edited by jmintz; 04-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.

ACCT 323 is easy as hell. How in the hell did you manage 2/9 on the quizzes? 70% of my class got 9/9 on the first one according to my prof Jamal Nazari.

You must be slacking off like nobodies business or are a total idiot. Those marks are absolutely horrendous.

Doesn't help that you have Lakra, worst professor I've ever had.

EDIT: I mean really, quiz 2 the first question was an ROI calculation.

Income / Average Assets

Can you not do simple division on a calculator?

Question 2 was transfer pricing: The buying division wouldn't want to pay more than the outside supplier's price, and the selling division wont want to sell for less than the VC + opportunity cost.

How is that so hard?
    Last edited by gt2871r; 04-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Forget the text book questions... and Lakra's notes.
    Read the text chapters, buy the study package and go through EVERY question carefully.

Also, a "W" is way better than a "D" on a transcript... and a "W" doesn't affect your GPA!!

...if you're taking FNCE 317 in the spring, you won't have time to sleep or eat, let alone take 323 over again!

An accounting degree is gonna be tough if you think 317/323 is hard. I took 341/343 for kicks and they are the lowest grades I got during undergrad (B/B-).

Then again, I'm the biggest slacker ever who stopped buying textbooks after1st year.

My Ride
    2010 Camaro

But it's possible to get a B+ in finance and not know anything, that's what I did. I just did the book and copy/pasted the stuff during the exams. I learned nothing other than a balanced portfolio is neat.
    You can't really do that in ACCT, you actually have to know it...at least for me..

I know some of the ACCT proffs, they get a small handful of students every year who have double-failed ACCT 317 = Required to Withdraw from haskayne. Kids in all diff sizes/genders just cry and beg. But then again, that happens with FNCE 317 too from what LAW has told me.

W's look better than D's, and they're not matriculated.
    You can say personal family issues or something came up.