Quantcast
Who to do basement development? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who to do basement development?

My Ride
    V8s

SP, why don't you just frame yourself? It's not exactly rocket science, and according to the (un)employment thread you have the time on your hands? If you're not paying labourers, that will more than offset the cost of any tools needed (i.e. hilti nailer for nailing to the basement floor)

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.

I used endeavour development and it turned out great but it did have hiccups. Happy to share if you pm me.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation!

Dan just wrapped up the framing this afternoon, did a great job. Really happy with how it turned out!
    That's awesome to hear!! Glad to hear it went well!! I can be very picky with the small details and he didn't disappoint so I have no problem recommending him to anyone who needs framing.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

$45-$75 per square foot. So for a 1000sq ft basement 45k to 75k is normal??? Seems like alot? I suppose it depends how fancy you want.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Now is a great time to develop your basement as labour prices have come way down. If anyone wants any advice on how to go about hiring a good basement developer and tips to keep the costs down, just ask. I know it is easier just to hire a general contractor and get them to take care of everything, but you'll save yourself a fortune if you buy the material yourself and just hire a framer to do the walls, an electrician to wire the place, a plumber to do the sink in the bathroom, and someone to mud and tape the drywall.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Originally posted by Schumacher16
    Now is a great time to develop your basement as labour prices have come way down. If anyone wants any advice on how to go about hiring a good basement developer and tips to keep the costs down, just ask. I know it is easier just to hire a general contractor and get them to take care of everything, but you'll save yourself a fortune if you buy the material yourself and just hire a framer to do the walls, an electrician to wire the place, a plumber to do the sink in the bathroom, and someone to mud and tape the drywall.
    I was thinking about developing our basement in the near future and wanted to take advantage of the costs coming down, but have been fearful of hiring random trades.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Really? Cost has reduced?
    Heard most trades are still in the clouds.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by bobafixed

I was thinking about developing our basement in the near future and wanted to take advantage of the costs coming down, but have been fearful of hiring random trades.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    I'm currently in the middle of developing my own basement (have rough in inspections coming up this month). I'm not finding the trades materially less than what my friends paid for trades a few years ago. I only did the things I felt comfortable with and hired out where I either didn't have the tools, or just didn't think i'd do a good enough job.

Framing: Did myself
    Electrical: Had electrician friend help for rough in
    Plumbing: Hired out, materials provided by plumber for rough in
    Drywall: I will hire out
    Flooring: I will hire out carpet and will tile the bathroom myself
    Finishing: I will paint / trim myself

Based on the how much i've spent and the quotes I have for the remaining work I'm tracking about... 14-16K for my basement (~900sq ft developed for 2 bedroom, living room, and 3 piece bath).

I'm finding if I know exactly what I want, the trades are easy enough to deal with that I wouldn't need a GC.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by hampstor
    Drywall: I will hire out
    I know a couple of Asians and a Mexican that did a garage a couple years back

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Really? Cost has reduced?
    Heard most trades are still in the clouds.
    Labour costs have come down huge in the last six months. Back in the summer of 2015 I could throw any quote out there and it would get accepted as people were just happy to have ANYONE come in an do the work.

Now, you must be much tighter with your estimates. The key is not to be lazy and just let a general contractor hire all his own trades and "take care of everything." People that do that will end up paying double.

Buy all of the material yourself. Don't let the tradesmen make any money on the material. Get at least three quotes from three totally unrelated people for each trade. Electrical, plumbing, framing, flooring and drywalling.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

And? Pics?

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I totally forgot about that. Well played.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

And? Pics?
    It's a munitions factory now

Originally posted by Schumacher16

Buy all of the material yourself. Don't let the tradesmen make any money on the material. Get at least three quotes from three totally unrelated people for each trade. Electrical, plumbing, framing, flooring and drywalling.
    Get them to use their own credit accounts and give 100% of their discount to you. Have them use their vehicle, and pick up all your material for you and take all responsibility for the material or any waste.
    Also, grind them down on their prices as much as possible. Get ambiguous quotes from random kijiji "tradespersons". Show them the quote and get them to beat it. Then drag it out, and grind them down some more. Try to get them to work for $15/hour. $10! When it comes time to pay, hold off as long as possible. 30. 60. 90 days. When they come begging for it, hold it out like a carrot and offer them .50 cents on the dollar or "take me to court".

You'll be amazed what you can do to a highly skilled, conscientious, respectable trades person, that tries to the best of his ability to make your home beautiful for you.

(sorry...just a little sore today)

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Get them to use their own credit accounts and give 100% of their discount to you. Have them use their vehicle, and pick up all your material for you and take all responsibility for the material or any waste.
    Also, grind them down on their prices as much as possible. Get ambiguous quotes from random kijiji "tradespersons". Show them the quote and get them to beat it. Then drag it out, and grind them down some more. Try to get them to work for $15/hour. $10! When it comes time to pay, hold off as long as possible. 30. 60. 90 days. When they come begging for it, hold it out like a carrot and offer them .50 cents on the dollar or "take me to court".

You'll be amazed what you can do to a highly skilled, conscientious, respectable trades person, that tries to the best of his ability to make your home beautiful for you.

(sorry...just a little sore today)
    I'm a contractor too, so don't think I don't know how it is out there. It goes both ways though, I've seen lots of homeowners get ripped off because they just don't know any better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast