Quantcast
Works with Nest - Cool Stuff - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

Have any of you guys checked out the Works with nest products?

I am definitely picking one up here soon because of them. Very cool!

https://nest.com/works-with-nest/

In particular i am looking into the the wallyhome. Basically it lets you add 6 zones to your home for the nest to sense temperatures from.

WallyHome's innovative remote sensors measure the varying temperatures in multiple locations in the home, resulting in comfort in the rooms that really matter. This solves a fundamental consumer problem - a thermostat that is often located in remote area of the home - not in the conditioned space that consumers use.
    So basically in the morning, you care about temp in your bedroom etc and evening for AC. You can put a wallyhome sensor in there to let the nest focus on that room rather than basing it on heating up your living room or something where your nest is located.

Bunch of other neat gimics like cameras that send you pictures when your fire alarm goes off etc. Turning your heat on when you start to drive your Mercedes home. Turning heat off when you shut your garage door opener in the morning.

Everything works with NEST now with its recent IFTTT integration. If you are going to stick with the "Works with NEST" line of products, you are going to be paying a premium..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by spike98
    Everything works with NEST now with its recent IFTTT integration. If you are going to stick with the "Works with NEST" line of products, you are going to be paying a premium..
    Lol you see I thought when buying a nest you were throwing value out the window and going with a cool toy

Its a 250 dollar thermostat FFS, noone actually buys them to save themselves money. A honeywell will do just fine for that purpose.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The remote temp zones is my killer app. I might have to switch to a nest just for that functionality.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    The remote temp zones is my killer app. I might have to switch to a nest just for that functionality.
    Exactly!

Its something that i had actually been wondering about because my bedroom is to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter. I can use this instead of having my HVAC redone.

Great "value"!

Also it has nothing to do with mercedes integration right rage

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My 5 year old Honeywell Prestige has a remote sensor that does exactly that, so not really anything new.

So my thermostat has one remote sensor, I never really use it, but it's also a remote control for my thermostat so I use it for that sometimes, but regardless, having 6 isn't really going to help things. Not like it can individually control the temperature in every room independently. Going to make your bedroom warm, at the expense of creating a sauna in another room.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by eblend
    My 5 year old Honeywell Prestige has a remote sensor that does exactly that, so not really anything new.

So my thermostat has one remote sensor, I never really use it, but it's also a remote control for my thermostat so I use it for that sometimes, but regardless, having 6 isn't really going to help things. Not like it can individually control the temperature in every room independently. Going to make your bedroom warm, at the expense of creating a sauna in another room.
    Like i said, i am quite aware that a good old honeywell thermostat can do just about anything. ( thats what i have right now)

Nest is a geaky gadget that I think is cool and fun . And as such adding new features to it sounds fun to me

As for the sauna i think thats a bit dramatic but only way to try it is in practice. I dont car if my main floor hallway is to hot when my bathroom tiles are so cold i dont want to get out of the shower.

This one also has the feature of using time to decide which sensor to read from so that is new

Originally posted by killramos

As for the sauna i think thats a bit dramatic but only way to try it is in practice. I dont car if my main floor hallway is to hot when my bathroom tiles are so cold i dont want to get out of the shower.

This one also has the feature of using time to decide which sensor to read from so that is new
    Might not be a sauna but I can see you spending a lot more each month trying to keep that one room at the right temperature.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by roopi

Might not be a sauna but I can see you spending a lot more each month trying to keep that one room at the right temperature.
    Whats the difference between this and you having your thermostat near a drafty window?

Maybe its alot more maybe its not. Gas is cheap.

For those who didn't invest in the Nest yet, if you're only looking into getting remote sensors to integrate with a thermostat, can look into ecobee3. I don't have any personal experience with it yet. Just ordered it with the two additional sensors (so total of 3 remote sensors). Their sensors have motion / occupancy detector on it too. So from the little reading I've done, IF everything works perfectly, it can be programmed to do an averaged temperature of occupied sensor locations.

https://www.ecobee.com/

I've always wanted the Nest, but was a bit hung up on the price and the lack of remote sensors at the time. Never bothered to check back their progress until I saw this thread. Cost aside, Nest seems to be more "connected" and more possibilities in working with other devices.
    Last edited by ZeroGravity; 11-24-2014 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    For those who didn't invest in the Nest yet, if you're only looking into getting remote sensors to integrate with a thermostat, can look into ecobee3. I don't have any personal experience with it yet. Just ordered it with the two additional sensors (so total of 3 remote sensors). Their sensors have motion / occupancy detector on it too. So from the little reading I've done, IF everything works perfectly, it can be programmed to do an averaged temperature of occupied sensor locations.

https://www.ecobee.com/

I've always wanted the Nest, but was a bit hung up on the price and the lack of remote sensors at the time. Never bothered to check back their progress until I saw this thread. Cost aside, Nest seems to be more "connected" and more possibilities in working with other devices.
    Yea it seems like an interesting platform and has some good features that can genuinely make your life better. Not to mention the thing is really pretty

Anyone try nest with Wallyhome yet? Can't find reviews anywhere.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I've got the nest and Wallyhome, I just haven't had a day off to install and set it up yet.

Should be up and running here in the next day or two.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Nice. Report back once you've got it going.

Default Re: Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

Originally posted by killramos
    So basically in the morning, you care about temp in your bedroom etc and evening for AC. You can put a wallyhome sensor in there to let the nest focus on that room rather than basing it on heating up your living room or something where your nest is located.
    What?

How exactly is Nest going to be able to tell your furnace to heat up one specific room?

Wallyhome sensors really just detect and report environmental factors (temp, humidity etc). Sure they might be able to send that information now to Nest, but its not going to change the way that your HVAC system works.

Default Re: Re: Works with Nest - Cool Stuff

Originally posted by sputnik

What?

How exactly is Nest going to be able to tell your furnace to heat up one specific room?

Wallyhome sensors really just detect and report environmental factors (temp, humidity etc). Sure they might be able to send that information now to Nest, but its not going to change the way that your HVAC system works.
    just means that if you have a wallyhome sensor in your bedroom, the nest is using that temp reading to tell your furnace to turn on/off instead of the temp at the nest location. My thermostat is near a vent so it shuts off before my bedroom and living room get to a nice temp. You are correct though, heat will still distribute throughout the house but will now focus on keeping the bedroom at the ideal temp vs other rooms.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 05:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Well, finally got it set up a couple days ago. Working good so far. Just need my wife to decide on how cool I'm allowed to make the house get at night. 19 was too cold apparently. Lol.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Go4Long
    Well, finally got it set up a couple days ago. Working good so far. Just need my wife to decide on how cool I'm allowed to make the house get at night. 19 was too cold apparently. Lol.
    Had mine hooked up for a couple weeks and it has been solid.

Now that I am getting back to work I'm going to set up the schedule etc but been using the auto away the last week and it works great.

Where did you put all the Wally's? I'm wondering if you would put them in the same places they tell you to...by possible water leaks. If you're using them with your nest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast