Quantcast
what is "math 30-2"? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what is "math 30-2"?

My Ride
    Fozzy

My buddy took 30-2 2 years ago and I don't think the curriculum has changed but it was more real life applications instead of damn Permutations and Combinations garbage, which I believe will be taken out after this year.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Idiots. It's Math 28.

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

They actually revised the math curriculum in 2007, which was introduced to high schools in 2010. They've already phased out the old pure and applied math courses for gr. 10 and 11, and after this year they'll do the same for gr 12.

http://education.alberta.ca/teachers/program/math.aspx

My Ride
    Nothing

WTF? Back in 1999 it was Math 30, 30AP (smarteeee people), and 33(stooopid people)

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by Civic_Drift
    http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b860/pdfs/2...%20Booklet.pdf

This course registration booklet is for Diefenbaker High School, but I think it explains the progression in math courses pretty well. Look on page 16 of the document.
    LOL @ course book - it reads more like an RPG.

Makes me glad I graduated when I did - that looks like too much work

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by M.alex
    WTF? Back in 1999 it was Math 30, 30AP (smarteeee people), and 33(stooopid people)
    Wasn't there a math 34 too?

Originally posted by M.alex

LOL @ course book - it reads more like an RPG.

Makes me glad I graduated when I did - that looks like too much work

I remember they changed it Pure Math (30), Applied (33), and 34 (I think) when I was in grade 12.

I remember I took Math 30 in the summer at Chinook College that year because I was told Pure Math was going to be harder than the traditional Math 30.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Wasn't there a math 34 too?

I remember they changed it Pure Math (30), Applied (33), and 34 (I think) when I was in grade 12.

I remember I took Math 30 in the summer at Chinook College that year because I was told Pure Math was going to be harder than the traditional Math 30.
    I don't recall 34, I think 33 was the dumb math.

I do recall though when they brought in pure math - supposedly it was really difficult and people were failing it like crazy because it was taught/presented in such a way that was unfamiliar (kind of like going from HS to university - it can be such a shock for some with how different things are in complexity, etc...). Although that happened after I graduated, so I don't care, hah!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

I don't think there was a Math 34, there were Science 14 & 24 classes, but I don't recall my high school (Aberhart) offering a Science 34.

IIRC you only required 10 credits from Sciences? Meaning you only needed to take 14 & 24 to get your diploma (shudders)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by Disoblige

Hey know1edge, you're more or less right. It's been more than 2 years for sure, so around 3-4 maybe? I remember back in 2006-2007, a math teacher talked about 20-1, 20-2, 30-1, 30-2 name change. It may have come official in 2007-2008?

Thanks for coming out, "gt2871r".
    http://education.alberta.ca/media/655889/math10to12.pdf
    I can't be bothered to do investigatory Google work on a topic I don't give a shit about. Maybe this is such a concern for you because you are still working on that Math 30. Not sure. Either way I doubt you can hold a candle to me academically so your opinions are of little value.
    Last edited by gt2871r; 01-31-2012 at 10:20 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by gt2871r

I can't be bothered to do investigatory Google work on a topic I don't give a shit about. Maybe this is such a concern for you because you are still working on that Math 30. Not sure. Either way I doubt you can hold a candle to me academically so your opinions are of little value.
    Wow, for once I feel like I'm too mature to even comment much about this.

Terrible troll, but terribly sad if serious

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

It's how one gets screwed trying to apply for Uni.

30-1: Pure
    30-2: Applied
    33: For ppl who cant do math.

When the program started at my school, it was told to us that it was still accepted for university entrance as it was the same course load, just a different way of teaching it.

Well, tell that to MRU or U of C that would not accept any 30-2 courses. Needless to say, I never was accepted to post-secondary. God damn imaginary numbers.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Tomaz

When the program started at my school, it was told to us that it was still accepted for university entrance as it was the same course load, just a different way of teaching it.

Well, tell that to MRU or U of C that would not accept any 30-2 courses. Needless to say, I never was accepted to post-secondary. God damn imaginary numbers.
    Yeah. I know a few people who got screwed because they were told universities will accept applied math, but didn't.

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by gt2871r

Nah, I'll play ball.

I'm so glad I'm done diplomas since I can stay home and watch Price Is Right! Either that or Tuesday morning meetings at my office can be quite boring.

First things first. Don't dish it if you can't take it yourself. You tried to call me out on something, you were wrong, I corrected, and you got your panties in a bunch and attempted to insult me out of basically nothing. Seriously, nothing. Hopefully, you aren't Rewizzle's friend/brother, etc, because then we'd definitely know where your mindset comes from. Did you take Foods 30 by any chance?

Second. If you had any intellect at all, you'd try to call people out on pure fact, not assumptions. I found it quite comical you mentioned that I couldn't "hold a candle" to you academically like it matters. Funny how you mention academics as well, and not anything else.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...29#post3738429

Sad thing is, you think your dime-a-dozen 3.8-4.0 GPA (assumption in your favor) is worth something in Accounting

Please please please don't tell me you have anything less than that, or else your argument loses -all- integrity.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...27#post3835727

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
    Trollolol.

Quoted from one of my favorite posters, Toilet_D:

garsh gee whiz, dont get too irritated and queef a pearl necklace out of your sandy vagina now!

ps. dont step to me or ill level your fuckin ass.

Fucking nerd. "I can't be bothered to do investigatory Google work on a topic I don't give a shit about." Then shut the fuck up.

Dammit, still 23 minutes till lunch

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Not at all relevant now, but when I graduated in 1993, Math 30 was Regular Math. Math 33 was remedial. Math 31 was the real math.

As I recall, from the dim ages long past.. anything that was 13,23,33 was remedial classes.. basic stuff. Any of the 10,20,30 courses were regular. As I recall, math 33 I got 98% final grade. Was my highest followed by Physics 30 & Social 30 with 94% each. Can't remember Bio/Chem at the moment. I do remember not doing nearly so well in Math 30/31 either. Was enough to get into post secondary though, which is all that really matters.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by codetrap
    Not at all relevant now, but when I graduated in 1993, Math 30 was Regular Math. Math 33 was remedial. Math 31 was the real math.

As I recall, from the dim ages long past.. anything that was 13,23,33 was remedial classes.. basic stuff. Any of the 10,20,30 courses were regular. As I recall, math 33 I got 98% final grade. Was my highest followed by Physics 30 & Social 30 with 94% each. Can't remember Bio/Chem at the moment. I do remember not doing nearly so well in Math 30/31 either. Was enough to get into post secondary though, which is all that really matters.
    Unfortunately that won't apparently cut it today.

I graduated with a 95% net average (or so) .... apparently today that would just barely get you into UofC, lol!

Originally posted by Tomaz

Did you do highschool upgrading currently for math?
    Ultimate excellence lies
    Not in winning
    Every Battle
    But in defeating the enemy
    Without ever fighting.
    The highest form of warfare
    Is to attack
    Strategy itself.

Nah, I'll play ball.

I'm so glad I'm done diplomas since I can stay home and watch Price Is Right! Either that or Tuesday morning meetings at my office can be quite boring.

First things first. Don't dish it if you can't take it yourself. You tried to call me out on something, you were wrong, I corrected, and you got your panties in a bunch and attempted to insult me out of basically nothing. Seriously, nothing. Hopefully, you aren't Rewizzle's friend/brother, etc, because then we'd definitely know where your mindset comes from. Did you take Foods 30 by any chance?

Second. If you had any intellect at all, you'd try to call people out on pure fact, not assumptions. I found it quite comical you mentioned that I couldn't "hold a candle" to you academically like it matters. Funny how you mention academics as well, and not anything else.

Sad thing is, you think your dime-a-dozen 3.8-4.0 GPA (assumption in your favor) is worth something in Accounting

Please please please don't tell me you have anything less than that, or else your argument loses -all- integrity.

Trollolol.

garsh gee whiz, dont get too irritated and queef a pearl necklace out of your sandy vagina now!

Fucking nerd. "I can't be bothered to do investigatory Google work on a topic I don't give a shit about." Then shut the fuck up.

his rage is over 9000!!! run people!!!

My Ride
    '86 AE86, '11 GSE20 6MT

I've come across this thread a few times now, and I really have no idea why, since I don't even browse this section of the site and this thread is like 5+ years old now, but I'm reviving it to correct some info.

Way back when, the following high school courses were offered (excluding AP, IB, etc.):

Math 10, 20, 30, 31
    Math 13, 23, 33
    Math 14, 24

Around 1999, the new curriculum started being implemented, Math 10, 20, 30 were replaced with Pure Math 10, 20, 30 and Math 13, 23, 33 were replaced with Applied Math 10, 20, 30. Math 14, 24 and 31 remained:

Pure Math 10, 20, 30, Math 31
    Applied Math 10, 20, 30
    Math 14, 24

Around 2008, this curriculum was again updated to the current structure: Pure Math 10 and Applied Math 10 were replaced with Math 10C, Pure Math 20 and 30 were replaced with Math 20-1 and 30-1, and Applied Math 20 and 30 were replaced with Math 20-2 and 30-2. Math 14 and 24 were replaced with Math 10-4 and 20-4. Math 31 remains:

Math 10C, 20-1, 30-1, 31
    Math 10C, 20-2, 30-2
    Math 10-4, 20-4

The new curriculum is designed to allow students to be more flexible about which stream they are doing. You can do 30-1 after 30-2 without needing to take earlier courses like you did if you had Applied 30 and needed to do Pure 10 followed by Pure 20, followed by Pure 30.

Note that any time one of these curriculum changes happened, it is of course done over the course of 3 years each time, with one level changing over each year.

Whether or not Applied Math 30 and Pure Math 30 were "referred to" as 30-2 and 30-1 internally as course codes prior to the actual course name change is irrelevant, as the courses were never actually called that, and there was a noticeable content/curriculum change when it happened.

I graduated in 2004, and none of this affects me at all. Why am I even posting here... haha.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
    1993 Toyota Previa 5MT Studded Ice Race Van

My Ride
    NC1

Nah, I'll play ball.

Trollolol.

damn dis, laying the smack down lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast